Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Knightblde

Old November 10th, 2013, 03:31 PM
You CAN store files in their cloud, but you don't have to. I haven't tried it yet. I use SkyDrive exclusively right now. I use it to sync my work and presets between two computers and it works pretty well so far. But if you stop your subscription, you would lose access to Photoshop.

Last edited by Knightblde; November 10th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.
Knightblde is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 11th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
Another thing, ProFantasy (company that is behind CC) has some of the best Customer Service I've ever needed to use. No offense Rob and LWD.
This. Absolutely. (Though LWD is right up there with 'em, IMO).
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I use Campaign Cartographer as my primary mapper and don't really find it any more difficult to use than any other program package with it's versatility. It runs like most CADs I've used in the past. Is it's learning curve harder than finger painting, absolutely. But then some of the high dollar paint and drawing/illustrator programs have much the same curve. Photoshop is OK and will do the trick, but only if do really need anything in depth or complicated.

And I just don't understand where $44.95 became "extremely expensive". $1 is more expensive than free, but cheaper than on console game is not "extremely expensive". Now there are a lot of addons, but then the CC was released in 1993 has 20+ years of extra catalog. But CC3 does have a geomorph set that allows you to build maps of predesigned drop in rooms, corridors and such. CC3 can do everything that you can do with addons like Dungeon Designer 3 and City Designer 3. All they really do is add in a lot of cool tools and shortcuts that make things easier. Plus more symbol catalogs.

I guess all I am saying is that CC is a real full capability mapping program for $45. That is simply not expensive in in the world of productive software. especially since you DO NOT need to buy anything extra to make pretty much any map you might want. You can buy the addons for extra goodies, but they are not necessary to actually map.

I remember picking up Dundjinni, but it didn't do anything that I wasn't already doing with CC3 except prevent me from customizing when I wanted to. Over the last 15 years or so I have picked up the big addons like DD3, CD3 and CosmoPro.

The learning curve primarily stems from trying to self learn as you go usinhg the enclosed mini-manuals, which are about as helpful as the user manuala I got with Adobe Pro and the Corel Suite. Heck, Office doesn;t even really have one. But for the Profantasy products I highly recommended their Tome of Ultimate Mapping. It is the user guide for their entire line gets updated as the software gets updated. It breaks down how to do things Barny-style and ties into the tutorials. For years I was on the "gasp it's so complicated" wagon (which is why I tried Dundjinni), but when I got the ToUM things suddenly got easy.

The other benny to ToUM is that it is the users manual for ALL of their mapping software, so I was able to actually see in detail what an add on or supplement could do before I decided to buy it.

Anyway, all I am saying is that the CC family of mapping software is not really the great ogre it is made out to be, nor is it actually that expensive.

It is not free, that is true. But $45 is not "expensive" ......
Spence is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
Another thing, ProFantasy (company that is behind CC) has some of the best Customer Service I've ever needed to use. No offense Rob and LWD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli View Post
This. Absolutely. (Though LWD is right up there with 'em, IMO).
Totally agree on the Customer Service of both companies. I have never had a problem with either companies responses for time or results.
Spence is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old November 14th, 2013, 01:57 AM
I bought Campaign Cartographer as a side grade for Fractal Mapper 39.95 and i have not been dissapointed at all although i will say that i prefer Fractal mapper because i can put notes on each item i drop on a map and when i export the map to a rich text or html format all my notes get exported
Dervish is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old November 14th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
...But for the Profantasy products I highly recommended their Tome of Ultimate Mapping....
I've just had a look and the Tome is only £10.95, (about $16-17.)

When I can afford it, I will definitely get that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
It is not free, that is true. But $45 is not "expensive" ......
Even better as Sterling... £29.95.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old November 14th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
I've just had a look and the Tome is only £10.95, (about $16-17.)

When I can afford it, I will definitely get that!

Even better as Sterling... £29.95.
$16-17 now? Cool. Their website still quotes $19, but then I don't expect they check the rates every day

But I don't think you will be disappointed with the Tome. For me it was like the difference between night and day for learning how to map.

And just being able to read the users manual for the addons before deciding whether to buy was well worth the price of admission.
Spence is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old November 15th, 2013, 04:29 AM
One of the issues to be aware of with CC is that you have to re-buy the software with each upgrade. It is at like a 25% discount. So if you have multiple softwares from them you may end up paying hundreds of dollars every few years to kee it current.

With Fractal Mapper, its a one shot deal.

My preferece is Fractal Mapper over CC. CC has a lot more functionality, but its way over my head in trying to figure out how to do easy things.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 15th, 2013, 05:24 AM
The major updates (the one's that require a repurchase) actually don't happen all that often, and you don't actually have to upgrade. They still support the older versions as well.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Knightblde

Old November 16th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I have been using CC since before 2000 and there have only been 2 upgrades. And they are SERIOUS upgrades.
Knightblde is offline   #30 Reply With Quote