Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

weogarth

Old November 8th, 2013, 11:01 AM
+1 on the power and results you can get with Campaign Cartographer.

+100 on the learning curve. As someone mentioned, regular use is necessary to maintain skills.

Another thing, ProFantasy (company that is behind CC) has some of the best Customer Service I've ever needed to use. No offense Rob and LWD.
weogarth is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old November 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Fractal Mapper By nbos software is a a decent product as well and has a campaign cartographer side grade option as well.

However if you are strapped for cash you can also try
Autorealm

Or you can do then in Gimp/paintshop pro/paint or photoshop depending on your relative level of comfort
Dervish is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth View Post
+1 on the power and results you can get with Campaign Cartographer.

+100 on the learning curve. As someone mentioned, regular use is necessary to maintain skills.

Another thing, ProFantasy (company that is behind CC) has some of the best Customer Service I've ever needed to use. No offense Rob and LWD.
Campaign Cartographer is the software I use. It has the fractal mapping software hard coded in, and it produces some of the best maps I've ever created for campaigns. You can learn a lot from reading the manual that comes with the software, and you can get them to send you the disks by just paying the shipping fee. Their customer service is great, they're friendly and always willing to help. Just be prepared to spend a bit of money on the software, as if you want to world, city and dungeon maps, you'll be spending a pretty penny on the basic suite. My opinion, however, is that the software is worth every penny I've spent though. Been using it for little over a year now and my players absolutely love the maps I create for the campaigns I run with it. You can also get software add-ons which expand what you can do with the software. I had a copy of fractal mapper for years, and it worked ok, but I found that Campaign Cartographer is much better.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old November 9th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmurphy View Post
I too use Campaign Cartographer. Also, if you look on you-tube for "joe sweeney mapping" you can find some quick tutorial videos.
His mapping and tutorials are the dogs... er, mutts... er, the very best.

He also has a small RPG company, Storyweaver. Among other things they've produced High Space, a space opera game. (Available on Hero Lab as an add-on to Savage Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmurphy View Post
Note: I have no affiliation with Campaign Cartographer nor with Joe Sweeney
A likely story... (Neither am I!)
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Knightblde

Old November 9th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Campaign Cartographer is awesome and expensive and requires a lot to learn it.

Photoshop is where it's at. It beats CC hands down in all categories. That means it is MORE awesome, MORE expensive and MORE time consuming, but WOW to those maps.

I tend to use CC for my overland maps and Photoshop for my indoor maps.

Dundjinni was wonderful and I miss it so much. BUT the community is still alive via forums and there are THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of pieces (33,256 Files in 434 Folders that I have downloaded) that are available for free!

www.dundjinni.com
Knightblde is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
freeAgent

Old November 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I like the simplicity of Hexographer and Dungeonographer. Campaign Cartographer can create beautiful maps, but after looking at some video tutorials for it (and the price), I decided my time and money were better spent elsewhere. Since I'm not looking to create professional-grade maps, Hexographer and Dungeonographer are adequate.
freeAgent is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 9th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
In terms of raw power and capability, Campaign Cartographer is excellent. The caveat to keep in mind is that it's not cheap - far from it - and there is a very steep learning curve involved. So adopting CC means a non-trivial investment of both money and time. If all you want is 10% more than Hexographer/Dungeonographer, you might find that CC is way more than you bargained for.

I miss Dundjinni, which struck a reasonable balance between power and complexity for my tastes. Alas, it's gone the way of the Dodo...

The suggestion above regarding the map-making community on G+ is a great one.
For me, I see it as a "work" expense. I've been working on publishing my own campaign setting for a few years. It is close to completion now so I needed software that was capable of creating professional looking maps. My players will gladly attest the the results from learning CC create great maps. With the right add-ons you can create maps that look as if they were designed for the Lord of the Rings novels. Which isn't a bad thing at all for a table top game. CC has the ability to do hex maps as well. Which is also a great benefit.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Knightblde

Old November 10th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Oh, I meant to mention Gimp. I have never used it but a lot of people say it is like a free Photoshop.

Also, Photoshop has a subscription service now so you don't have to drop $600 just to get it. I think it is $20 per month and it includes all updates.
Knightblde is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old November 10th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Yes, Gimp is a free alternative to Photoshop. There's also a "GameMaster's Fantasy Art Kit" available. This is a series of png files from which to construct maps in a tool like Gimp or Photoshop. You can check it out here .

Some of the art, especially the tokens, have been added to some VTT tools already.
Silveras is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old November 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Unless they already backtracked, a downside to Photoshop is that all of your files will be stored in their cloud, so if you stop paying that monthly fee you won't be able to access them (I'm assuming once you start paying again you'll have access restored, for at least some interval of time).
pyremius is offline   #20 Reply With Quote