Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

RayPrancer

Old May 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I'm having a problem with pips in this system and I know other related questions have been asked before. My issue is that you can have 15 pips in a mundane attributte but only 12 in skills and I can't work out how to tell Hero Lab about the lower total. There are also 2 Extranormal attributes that I want Hero Lab to ignore the pip limit for but in all other ways treat as mundane attributtes.

A related issue is that all skills tied to Extranormal abilities cost double - since there are a total of 7 and they otherwise work the same as normal skills how would I do this for example for the Strife skill which is tied to the Miracles attribute.

You can also Specialize in this setting for 1/3 cost of skill with 12 pips spent on each of them a maximum. Specilizations for skills linked to Extranormal attributes also cost double. Those with the higher cost are numerous enough to be worth defining seperatly as they include every example spell.

Ideally I'd like to set the default maximum to 12, increase it to 15 for attributes then remove it for the attributes Magic and Miracles.

Another issue is that you must buy a whole number of dice in each category so that the total cost of Attribute pips needs to be a multiple of 4 (4/3 per pip) and for Skills and Specializations an exact multiple of 1 (1/3 and 1/9 per pip respectively but drawn from the same pool).
RayPrancer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old June 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
I've made some progress now but still need to know how to tell Hero Lab "Whenever I buy a rank in this skill charge me an extra CP"
RayPrancer is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old June 1st, 2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPrancer View Post
I've made some progress now but still need to know how to tell Hero Lab "Whenever I buy a rank in this skill charge me an extra CP"
Have a look at the Skill component in the sample files. There's an eval script that does just that in the Trait phase IIRC.
Kairos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old June 8th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I've now found the relevent item in the Savage World source files. It's the bit of code that tells Hero Lab to charge more if the value of the skill is higher than the linked attribute. I need to change it so that if the id of the linked attribute is attrMag or attrMir then charge me user value / 3 again for every pip added. I've now tried the following incorrect code to do this:

if (linkage[attribute].id = attrMag)
hero.child[resCP].field[resSpent].value += field[trtUser].value / 3
endif
RayPrancer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kairos

Old June 8th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Quote:
I've now found the relevent item in the Savage World source files. It's the bit of code that tells Hero Lab to charge more if the value of the skill is higher than the linked attribute. I need to change it so that if the id of the linked attribute is attrMag or attrMir then charge me user value / 3 again for every pip added. I've now tried the following incorrect code to do this:

if (linkage[attribute].id = attrMag)
hero.child[resCP].field[resSpent].value += field[trtUser].value / 3
endif
Code:
if (compare(linkage[attribute].idstring, "attrMag") = 0) then
   hero.child[resCP].field[resSpent].value += (field[trtUser].value / 3)
endif
Kairos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old June 8th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Something seems to be wrong with Hero Lab as adding the code appears to be stopping it recognising the field element in the default derived script trait.
RayPrancer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kairos

Old June 8th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Something seems to be wrong with Hero Lab as adding the code appears to be stopping it recognising the field element in the default derived script trait.
Not sure what you mean. Can you post your code?
Kairos is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old June 8th, 2013, 06:36 AM
Not entirely sure what was happening because it's now compiling - must have made a mistake when typing in your suggested code change by hand as I use a seperete device to access the forums. Appear to have entered feild.[respCP] and Hero Lab been reporting back what I thought was a later line number.

Now that's sorted I need to order the skills by linked attribute and add a scroll bar to the basic tab as there are more skills than the height of the window will accomodate.

The rest of the questions from the original post will need answering eventually but the scroll bar is the priority. Can someone point me to where this has already been covered or if not advise what I need to do?
RayPrancer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Kairos

Old June 8th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Check your "scrollable" attribute in your skill table on the basics tab.
Kairos is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
RayPrancer

Old June 8th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Next task is some relatively minor display changes - all references to Character Points that display in Hero Lab need changing to Creation Points because the term Character Points is used for experience. Need to rename the Abilities tab to Character Options as I have expanded it to include Disadvantages and Advantages as well. Then I'll try customising Derived Attributes to match the system and probably be back with more specific questions then.
RayPrancer is offline   #10 Reply With Quote