Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

12hourhalfday

Send a message via AIM to 12hourhalfday

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
I would like to customize specific magical weapons in hero lab? For example, can I put the flaming enhancement on an assassin's dagger. Can I make a corrosive crowcaller axe?
12hourhalfday is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
No and yes. Their is no official answer from Paizo if you can actually modify any specific magic weapon/armor. I am personally not rehashing the argument that has raged both on these forums and paizo.

So if you and your DM decide this can be done then you can create these items in the editor setting the price your group decides it should be.

Hope that helps.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
12hourhalfday

Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
I wasn't asking a rules question. I was asking for the feature to do it in herolab. We can customize monsters, why not specific items?
12hourhalfday is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12hourhalfday View Post
why not specific items?
The reason I gave above is why.

Also as I mentioned if your group can then use the editor to make a copy of the item and change it. Then the big issue is to set the price.

So you can make custom specific items but it requires using the editor.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
12hourhalfday

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM
So the reason you are giving for not being able to do it in hero lab directly is because paizo is vague about it in the rules? Is that the official reason why Lone Wolf didn't build the feature into hero lab?
12hourhalfday is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
12hourhalfday

Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
I am going to rephrase the question to avoid confusion. I looked in the editor and still can't figure out how to do this. How do you apply item powers to specific items?

e.g.:
  • anarchic on assassin's dagger
  • flaming added to Blackaxe
  • Blinding added to flametongue

I have figured out how to create new item powers by copying and editing existing item powers and I figured out how to create new specific weapons by copying and editing existing specific weapons but what I can't figure out is how to apply item powers to specific items.

Would it be possible for this to be an added feature in Herolab in the custom weapon and armor area where we can pick a specific weapon or armor from the list when customizing?
12hourhalfday is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
Quote:
anarchic on assassin's dagger
This is a good example to use.

So in the editor go to the Weapon, Magic tab. Then in the bottom left corner click on the blue button New(Copy). In the list double click on Assassins' Dagger.

Now we want to change the Unique ID to something useful like (iAssDagAna). Then to make this weapon a Assassin's Dagger with Anarchic on it we change the Name of the weapon to be "Assassin's Dagger, Anarchic". For extra use you can copy and paste the Anarchic text into the text description of this new item.

Then in the Cost, size-independent(gp) change that to reflect the new price of the item that your group had decided this should cost.

On the top Left press the Test Now! button to have HL save your new weapon and compile it. Once it is completed you now have a Anarchic Assassins Dagger that can be taken.

If you wanted to make it a +3 dagger just change the "Enhancement Bonus" section from 2 to 3.

Most powers are nothing more then Text. If a power was to give like +4 to Str or something then you would have to start getting into creating a Eval Script for the item.

Hope that helps.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
12hourhalfday

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
So to do it you aren't adding the weapon power to the weapon, you are creating a copy of the specific item with a modified description. That is disappointing as I wouldn't be able to add skill, stat, and ability affecting enhancements. For text only abilities it is fine but for anything else that affects modifiers it is a bummer as I would have to go through some labor per item.
I wish I had the ability to access the specific weapons and armor in the custom item section, then I could apply item powers directly to the items. It would sure give me a lot more flexibility with a lot less work.
I see items like this in modules all the time and I like to create them in games I run. It would streamline my game if it was easier to create them in herolab. I am working on doing my best to learn eval scripts but it is requiring a lot of man hours for something which seems shouldn't be hard for the program to do.
12hourhalfday is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Quote:
I see items like this in modules all the time and I like to create them in games I run.
If you are talking about new custom items that have strange powers you will have to use the editor to create them. Or enter the text and use the Adjustments on the adjust Tab to do the changes instead of doing a script.

Their is at this point hundreads of scripts in HL. So you can always do a new copy on a feat or trait or item power that does what you want. Then a little copy/paste and your new item is ready to go. It's how I learned and everyone else on these forums.

Also the search feature on this forum is very good and Mathias has hundreds of scripts he has done to help others. So adjusting skills, saves, and AC are very easy to script. You can always do a copy on an adjustment to get you really close to what you need.

Hmmm you could try bootstrapping the item power Things to your new magic weapon. I am really not sure if that will work.

The editor gives you total control to do anything you want but the bad side is it will take a little bit to get up to speed with it. As you get specific questions this forum is a good place to ask.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote