Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Jobe00

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I'm working on a file for the Forgotten Realms book Lost Empires of Faerūn, and I'm working on the Servant of the Fallen feat.

The feat allows you to worship a dead god like Bhaal or Myrkul and still get divine spells.

Now, I get a validation error: Dead Gods cannot grant spells to divine spellcasters.

However, the feat Servant of the Fallen allows just that.

I know it's a matter of making an Eval Script that ignores the fact that the character's deity is a Dead God, but how would I script it?
It's a matter of making HL ignore the fact that the Deity is DeityCat.DeadGod or DeityCat.Forgotten when making a divine spellcaster. thus getting rid of the validation error.

I've been looking for a feat or ability to base the script for it, but I can't think of any feat or ability that would do anything like that.
Jobe00 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Just delete the DeityCat.DeadGod tag from the hero, unless there is some reason you need that to be around?
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Jobe00

Old November 6th, 2013, 12:50 AM
All the deities introduced in Lost Empires of Faerūn are dead gods, thus all of them fall in DeityCat.Dead God.

The purpose of the Servant of the Fallen feat is that you can get power from those dead gods in their name. Servant of the Fallen requires you to worship a dead or forgotten god, so it's the whole point of the feat.

I was able to find feats that marked the prerequisites of being a divine spellcaster and worshiping a dead or forgotten deity from other feats, but eval scripts are slightly more involved.

I know the script of the feat will basically be something similar to being able to ignore prerequisites for feats like monks and rangers can sometimes do.

So, how do I make this work?

Last edited by Jobe00; November 6th, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
Jobe00 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM
As I said, delete that tag from the hero. I think that will clear up your error. Nothing that you've mentioned requires it be present.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Just delete the DeityCat.DeadGod tag from the hero, unless there is some reason you need that to be around?
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page. Aaron is not saying to change each god but to write a script on the "Feat" that deletes the Dead God tag from the hero.

In example like this:
Pre-Levels/10000
Code:
~ Remove dead god tag from hero
perform hero.delete[DeityCat.DeadGod]
This way you don't change any of the gods marked as dead. Instead we delete the tag from the Character only if you take this feat.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Jobe00

Old November 6th, 2013, 09:53 PM
ShadowChemosh, THANK YOU!

I didn't know HOW TO DO THAT!

It was what I was asking how to do!

You Lone Wolf guys need to learn how to actually answer questions as opposed to dismissing them.

Aaron, you don't seem to be very familiar with the Forgotten Realms setting. A deity's status is very important to worshipers (and the gods themselves).
Sometimes fluff text is based on game mechanics crunch and vice versa.

Shadow, is there any way that instead of deleting the tag, it's effectively turned off by taking the feat? That way the feat just makes the dead god not a dead god for purposes of getting divine spells?

I'll try the code you gave me here in a minute and see what happens.
Jobe00 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Jobe00

Old November 7th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Shadow, your suggestion worked, but caused a new problem.

Here's the feat in its entirety.

Servant of the Fallen
You keep alive the worship of a deity who has died or vanished. Your faith in this fallen deity allows you to wield divine magic in his or her name.

Prerequisites: Ability to cast divine spells, dead or forgotten god (for example, Amaunator, Bhaal, Moander, or Myrkul) as patron deity.

Benefit: You can name a dead god as your patron deity and still receive your cleric spells normally. In addition, you can call upon the universal remnant of your deity’s power once per day to gain a +1 luck bonus on any single die roll. You can also be raised or resurrected normally.

Normal: Dead or fallen deities cannot grant divine spells and powers, so divine casters who choose such patrons do not normally receive spells. Characters who do not worship active gods in Faerūn suffer the fate of the Faithless in the Fugue Plane after death.

Special: You can take this feat only once. Choosing this feat changes your patron from your previous deity to the dead or forgotten deity of your choice, and you take no penalties for making this change. If you later choose a different patron deity, you lose the benefit of this feat, but your new patron may grant you spells just as he or she would for any other cleric.
See Ancient Deities, page 41, for a list of notable dead gods, their alignments, and their domains.

Adding in the 1/day tracker was easy enough.

I have 2 Expr-reqs:

Ability to cast divine spells.
Is Error? and Highlight Panel? are both checked.
Pre-Requisite Expression: hero.tagis[Hero.Divine] <> 0

Deity is dead god or forgotten god.
Is Error? and Highlight Panel? are both checked.
Pre-Requisite Expression: hero.tagis[DeityCat.DeadGod] + hero.tagis[DeityCat.Forgotten] >= 1

Your code made the feat illegal since it deleted one of the pre-reqs for the feat. By deleting the Deity.Cat.DeadGod, the character was no longer qualified to have the feat because it didn't recognize Bhaal as a Dead God (which he most certainly is. I read the Avatar Trilogy where Cyric as a mortal killed him.).
So with your initial suggestion, it's a catch-22. The feat allows you to chose a dead god and receive spells, but the feat then invalidates itself since it deleted the DeityCat.DeadGod tag.

So is there a way to code it where HL acknowledges the DeityCat.DeadGod or DeityCat.Forgotten tag, but says that's alright to get divine spells anyway?
Jobe00 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe00 View Post
You Lone Wolf guys need to learn how to actually answer questions as opposed to dismissing them.
To answer the technical part of your post I will need to get home and be in front of HL actually. I have an idea to get things to work but can't do it off the top of my head.

But wanted to address what you said here as I have to say its 100% not true. Aaron and Mathias work very hard to answer questions here and in the bug reports. If sometimes they are short with an answer its not them being rude but being very busy. LW is a very small company and they do allot each and every day.

I can also say now that I have meet both Aaron and Mathias in person and they are NOT dismissive of people at all. What Aaron said was correct in what he said actually it just was not maybe as detailed of an answer as you needed but he had no way to know that. Many times all a person needs is a direction to go in actually. If you needed more a simple "hey I don't understand that" would have gotten you more information...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Yes, my apologies for the previous post. I often have trouble assessing the proficiency level of posters, and in this case I thought I was being clear when I was not.

Please, if I give any instructions you don't understand and you need further clarification, don't hesitate to ask. There's no shame in starting off and not knowing how to delete a tag, everyone has been there at one time or another.
Aaron is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:25 PM
There might be a workaround that will fool things, if we are clever.

Almost everything in HL takes place in a series of Phases and Priorities within those phases. One of the things which do not take place in those orders are pre-requisite scripts, which all run after everything else has happened. Fortunately for us, the "No spellcasting for dead gods" thing is an eval rule, not a pre-req script. Don't sweat the details, but the important thing is that eval rules take place in phases and priorities with everything else. So, if we know the timing of that eval rule, we can delete the Dead Gods tag from the hero, wait for the eval rule to happen, and then add the Dead Gods tag back in time for your pre-requisite to check for it.

Let me look into some timing stuff for you and I'll come back to this.
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote