Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

brewdus

Old January 12th, 2023, 04:21 PM
Is there any indication how this OGL mess might affect Herolab? It sounds like a lot of 3rd party publishers (Paizo AND Green Ronin, specifically) might be jumping ship. How could this affect the Pathfinder and M&M licenses?
brewdus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old January 13th, 2023, 12:22 AM
Its way too early to know what could or will happen. The companies using the OGL 1.0 will need to know what 1.1 really is, before they can make any real decisions, and then pass those on to LW.
There's hope that existing/past material created under 1.0 won't be affected. The worst case is probably that LW has to pull all support for anything using 1.0, but that wouldn't stop anyone with the Classic program and files from continuing to use it. We just won't have any support or the ability to upgrade or buy more packages.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MadCat75

Send a message via Skype™ to MadCat75

Old January 13th, 2023, 02:04 AM
Been watching videos on Youtube about the WotC fiasco. Just saw an announcement from Paizo about them creating their own version of the OGL, called ORC (Open RPG Creative License).

Last edited by MadCat75; January 13th, 2023 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Fix typos
MadCat75 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 13th, 2023, 04:40 AM
There is supposedly a updated OGL being released next week. From the leaks that I've seen there is no mention that they are removing the following though.

Quote:
Why is Wizards of the Coast updating to OGL 1.1 and subdividing it into Commercial and Non-Commercial terms? A lot has changed since the old OGL was launched, and that means the old license has some unintended applications we need to fix. For example, when we released OGL 1.0a, YouTube, apps, blockchain, crowdfunding, and other now every-day technologies and distribution channels didn’t really exist in the way they do today. OGL wasn’t intended to fund major competitors and it wasn’t intended to allow people to make D&D apps, videos, or anything other than printed (or printable) materials for use while gaming. We are updating the OGL in part to make that very clear.
Quote:
B. Works Covered
This license only applies to materials You create for use in or as roleplaying games and as game supplements and only as printed media and static electronic files such as epubs or pdfs. It does not allow the distribution of any other form of media. And does not apply to creation of anything else.
They are being incredibly clear about their intent. They want to shut down digital tools. I'm hearing though that anything released under the previous OGL will not be impacted. It certainly means anything moving forward will be a target. But with Pathfinder creating the ORC really changes the future landscape.

Interesting times.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 13th, 2023, 01:55 PM
Official statement from WOTC on the past week's controversy is available at https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1423...me-license-ogl

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old January 14th, 2023, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the link.

They explicitly state that they don't intend to limit the usage for VTTs, which to me is very important. (And not just as a founder of RPTools, either, but also as a player!) We'll see what the final document actually looks like...
Azhrei is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 15th, 2023, 06:30 PM
WotC has already soiled their new edition with this fiasco. If the declining stock price and canceled subscriptions on D&D beyond are any indication, they hosed themselves on this. Maybe hosed is putting it mildly, they fired cannons into their own ship and the pirates started leaping off to safety before it was completely scuttled.

They tried doing this with 4E and the boycotts wiped out the edition in 3 years. ONE D&D may be dead on arrival. The new WotC CEO knows nothing of the company's history, much less that they've been walking on eggshells trying to rebuild rapport that 4E killed with the community... hence 5e being publicly playtested for every product they made in 5e.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #7 Reply With Quote