Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

deinspanjer

Old November 16th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I have a magic item that grants the Wild Cohort feat for a specific animal. I need to get the animal companion added to my portfolio such that it properly adjusts based on the hero's level.

Can any one suggest how I might go about implementing this?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a
deinspanjer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old November 18th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Unfortunately, this is not an area I am particularly adept in as I haven't done much with Animal Companions to date. I will take a look at it, but if someone who knows this stuff better wants to chime in in the meantime, feel free.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old November 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I've done some work in Animal Companions before, I'll take a look at it sometime this week and see if I can help. Animal Companions are pretty tricky though.
Kendall-DM is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
deinspanjer

Old December 21st, 2013, 05:33 PM
Any further word on whether this is possible as a mod to d20?
deinspanjer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 31st, 2013, 05:48 AM
No, sorry. I wasn't able to figure it out. I'll take another look as soon as I back in front of HL in the new year.
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 6th, 2014, 09:24 AM
The problem with implementing this feat is that it creates an entirely new kind of companion. It's not strictly an animal companion, nor does it fall under any of the other categories (familiar, mount, etc). I think we have two options. The first is to see if we can use a feat to add an animal companion to a character, then have that feat modify the companion to strip out additional benefits a true companion gets. The other is to create a template that could be added to any animal, but this would mean having to manually increase HD since the cohort would not be connected to the character in any way other than being in the same portfolio. Obviously, the first option is more desirable. I'll see what I can do.

Update:
Well, it took me a little while, but I finally figured out how to add an animal companion to a class. This doesn't mean I have the solution, but its a start. I'll continue with this tomorrow, and see if I can make further progress.

Last edited by Sendric; January 6th, 2014 at 11:51 AM.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 7th, 2014, 05:25 AM
One little snag I'm running into is that when a character has an Animal Companion from two sources, it stacks the classes. This means that I will likely not be able to make this feat usable with a character that has druid or ranger class levels (or any source with an animal companion) unless I can figure out how to detach them.
Sendric is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 7th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Ok, well, this isn't working as well as I'd hoped. Trying to bootstrap the ability just isn't working right. One alternative idea was to use a class variant. Unfortunately, to do so you have to select which class to alter or it won't compile. From a community set point of view, this means having to create many different versions of it, which I don't think makes a lot of sense. On a case-by-case basis, I think this would work ok. You'd still have to write the eval scripts to modify the companion. I can put together an example of one if you are interested.
Sendric is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 9th, 2014, 07:49 AM
I may have discovered a new solution, but it'll take me a couple days to work it out.
Sendric is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old February 4th, 2014, 06:59 AM
This is going to have to wait until the next release. This can be done, but causes problems if you take it as a class that already has an Animal Companion. I need to dig into it more and see if I can make d20 allow a second companion. This would be useful for other things as well.
Sendric is offline   #10 Reply With Quote