Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

pjrichert

Old January 28th, 2016, 04:37 AM
What is the delay from when a snippet is revealed in the GM Version, to when the players can see it on their player version? My players bought their player editions last week, and at the table, when I revealed snippets including the maps, it did not update on their player versions for the duration of the game, about 4 hours. We wound up going back to hand drawn maps, which was a let down, and left the players feeling like it was money not well spent.

It could be something I was doing incorrectly, but I revealed the topic, then revealed snippets, then synced with the cloud. Is there a step I'm missing? Is there a sync needed for the players as well?
pjrichert is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Tharmiones

Old January 28th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Yes the player has to sync as well after the DM synced because otherwise they won't have the updated information at their client.
Tharmiones is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 28th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Player edition isn't really meant for use live at the table. The process of reveal something GM sync then player sync is very slow.

Player view is meant for live use at the table.
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old January 28th, 2016, 05:35 AM
To be fair, the player edition is intended to be used at the table, it's just that its practically limited to revealed data from previous game sessions.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
pjrichert

Old January 28th, 2016, 09:05 AM
It seems that requiring Player View at the table is severely limiting. We play at 42 Ale House, a self proclaimed "Geek Bar", so there really is no recourse for having a second monitor set at the table, since it would require lugging in a laptop, monitor, cables etc for the game and then porting them back out again. Whereas people bringing a laptop, or, hopefully in the future release, a tablet is much more feasible. Neither I nor my players mind having to sync, but there seems to be a huge delay from when I sync to the information getting in the cloud to be available for the players.

I'm just wondering if this is by design or if there is a flaw in cloud storage.
pjrichert is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 28th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Web access is one of the two major things being worked on right now.. that would be access to the data in the cloud.

Details are few at the moment, but it *seems* like it would be an alternative to Player View for at-the-table games where everyone has a laptop or tablet.

The GM would still need to sync to the cloud to put "fresh" updates there, but that should alleviate the need for players to also exit the realm and sync after that (I think.. as I said, the details are few at this time).
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 28th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrichert View Post
It seems that requiring Player View at the table is severely limiting. We play at 42 Ale House, a self proclaimed "Geek Bar", so there really is no recourse for having a second monitor set at the table, since it would require lugging in a laptop, monitor, cables etc for the game and then porting them back out again. Whereas people bringing a laptop, or, hopefully in the future release, a tablet is much more feasible. Neither I nor my players mind having to sync, but there seems to be a huge delay from when I sync to the information getting in the cloud to be available for the players.

I'm just wondering if this is by design or if there is a flaw in cloud storage.
We play in a pub too. I take along a GeChic flat panel monitor which plugs into USB for power and into the second monitor socket for video. The flat panel then is propped up just behind my laptop monitor so that everyone at the table can see it.
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 28th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I still pray for lan capabilities... but it will and cannot happen, due to the benefits of the upcoming content market and other stuff

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 28th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Web access is one of the two major things being worked on right now.. that would be access to the data in the cloud.

Details are few at the moment, but it *seems* like it would be an alternative to Player View for at-the-table games where everyone has a laptop or tablet.

The GM would still need to sync to the cloud to put "fresh" updates there, but that should alleviate the need for players to also exit the realm and sync after that (I think.. as I said, the details are few at this time).
I strongly doubt that web edition will be "live" anymore than player edition is. It may be that web edition will check the cloud each time you switch topics the technology to have web edition sit there polling the server waiting for any update to the topic it is displaying is not the way they seem to be going.
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old January 28th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I strongly doubt that web edition will be "live" anymore than player edition is. It may be that web edition will check the cloud each time you switch topics the technology to have web edition sit there polling the server waiting for any update to the topic it is displaying is not the way they seem to be going.
Don't misunderstand me.. all I am saying is that the web version may alleviate some of the delay by being able to refresh by refreshing the page, or something like that.

Nothing else should be taken from what I said, other than the disclaimers "very few details are known yet".
Silveras is offline   #10 Reply With Quote