Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

pjrichert

Old October 25th, 2013, 05:57 AM
At this point, we've seen promises of release dates several times. I'm just going to wait till I hear that the product is out from outside sources. The track record on this project shows that it's just unreliable.

I don't mean to sound down, but I've really been looking forward to this product to help with my VTT Pathfinder campaign. It's not that I don't think the product will be great, just losing faith in the product being released on the projected release dates anymore. Love HL and the products from LWD, but I'll wait till I hear that Realm Works is released from the community, rather than trying to follow on their site.
pjrichert is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
asw122

Old October 26th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrichert View Post
At this point, we've seen promises of release dates several times. I'm just going to wait till I hear that the product is out from outside sources. The track record on this project shows that it's just unreliable.

I don't mean to sound down, but I've really been looking forward to this product to help with my VTT Pathfinder campaign. It's not that I don't think the product will be great, just losing faith in the product being released on the projected release dates anymore. Love HL and the products from LWD, but I'll wait till I hear that Realm Works is released from the community, rather than trying to follow on their site.
We'll, they've never given a concrete date. The closest we had was "if everything goes perfectly, then it should be out at the end of Oct". Well things haven't gone perfectly, ergo, its not gonna be the end of Oct. I mean if it comes out Mid November or even Mid December, is 6 weeks on a rough estimate that big of a problem?
asw122 is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
karpomatic

Old October 28th, 2013, 07:12 AM
At this point waiting a few more weeks is no more tedious than the time we've already put in. As a Pack Member, I'm hoping to see it in a week or so.
karpomatic is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
JStreet

Old October 28th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I got my first child do in 9 days... i would LOVE to have this before its born.... I'm gonna be home bound for awhile lol. There is no way to get a solid release date? :/ I am still sad i missed the kick starter by a day :/
JStreet is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old October 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigojones View Post
...oh wait is it this party that did x,y and z that turned around and effected group 2 which then did a,b, and c. it has just become very cumbersome, to the point that i have been pushing back play time to be able to re go through my notes....
From what I understand - and I was VERY surprised when I heard this - the software won't have that basic functionality.

At least, it's what I would call basic, but apparently you will not be able to keep track of information separately for your players. Either ALL players know it, or NO players know it - there is no piece of information that just 1 or 2 players can know. Or in your case, for example, if Eric the Cavalier from Group A learns a piece of knowledge, or finds a treasure map, then not only does everyone from Group A know it as well, also everyone from Groups B and C automatically gain the knowledge.

I have no idea why a game tracking system was designed this way... it makes no sense to me. It saddens me.

I've heard that they may try to add this feature in the future, though so I might buy it when they get it working.
lifer4700 is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old October 28th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Neither the game designers nor the early testers simultaneously run multiple games within the same instance of a game world, so the idea got overlooked (they did, however, include support for multiple "shards" by allowing the duplication of a Realm so you could run multiple groups through different instances of the same world).

This is in fact one of the bigger preventable reasons for Realm Works' delay. Once the idea was proposed during the Kickstarter and they had the chance to wrap their minds around a different way of running games they, recognized that it would become a very useful feature. Rewriting enough of the code to allow the later inclusion of this capability was the best compromise they could come up with: implementing fully before release would have pushed the release date back even further (we don't know how far, but my guess would be Spring or later); and shipping the program with its original structure would have required an ever-harder rewrite when they finally went back to add the capability, and increased the likelihood user data would be corrupted or lost when version 2.0 came out. Even though the capability is there yet the underlying data structures are, so when they do add the capability we should see a relatively easy transfer of our data.

This was covered in the backer notes during the Kickstarter campaign - I want to say mid- to late- campaign. We won't get the capability right away because they still want to get the basic functionality out as close to the target date as possible, but the delay does mean we'll get it sooner (all code written after that point would also have had to be redone) and safer (our data will already be compatible, so less chance of corruption/loss).
pyremius is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyremius View Post
Neither the game designers nor the early testers simultaneously run multiple games within the same instance of a game world, so the idea got overlooked.
Even if you only have a single game with a single group, there are still multiple characters/players in that group.

---------------------------

Believe me, I understand how utterly systemic it would be to have to change something as core as moving from a group-level permission structure to allow user-level permissions.

I wish I could have been on the early testing team! That's one of the first things that stood out for me when I read about the capabilities of this software.

Every single campaign I've ever played in or run (and that's a few decades' worth) has had information that one player knows and another doesn't.

I hope it's added soon after release! I'm looking forward to this software, and I can start populating my world right away, but I'll have to stick with my forum for the 'private' info.
lifer4700 is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Indigojones

Old October 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I get Delays i just don't get why we haven't been updated in the delay or a hard date. November is technically still fall but no hard date or even news on if it is going to be spring of even fall of next year. but i feel the consensus is that everyone is getting tired of waiting. this newsletter thats coming out better be amazing or im done waiting.
Indigojones is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old October 28th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigojones View Post
I get Delays i just don't get why we haven't been updated in the delay or a hard date. November is technically still fall but no hard date or even news on if it is going to be spring of even fall of next year. but i feel the consensus is that everyone is getting tired of waiting. this newsletter thats coming out better be amazing or im done waiting.
I have to admit being quite confused by your claims. Wolf Lair has posted multiple updates regarding the delays (and if you'd bothered to read any of their posts you would be aware that there have been multiple delays, not one single cause). For that matter, I'm not sure what consensus you see. There are over 1100 Kickstarter backers still waiting for the software to release, and most have not posted anything, much less complaints about progress.

I'm eagerly awaiting the completed product too. I know my players will be glad to have access to all of the information they have collected during the campaign, especially the material that seemed too trivial to copy down (or share) at the time. On the other hand, I'd rather they not ship something that doesn't work reliably - not just for the perception it creates among potential users, but also for the perception it creates among content creators who are trying to decide whether or not to make their material available through Realm Works. Also, the fewer (and smaller) the bugs, the less likely it is our data will be at risk when upgrading to new versions.
pyremius is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old October 28th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer4700 View Post
Even if you only have a single game with a single group, there are still multiple characters/players in that group.

---------------------------

Believe me, I understand how utterly systemic it would be to have to change something as core as moving from a group-level permission structure to allow user-level permissions.

I wish I could have been on the early testing team! That's one of the first things that stood out for me when I read about the capabilities of this software.

Every single campaign I've ever played in or run (and that's a few decades' worth) has had information that one player knows and another doesn't.

I hope it's added soon after release! I'm looking forward to this software, and I can start populating my world right away, but I'll have to stick with my forum for the 'private' info.
If you are basically doing the same realm and such and want to run say.. 3 groups, you just create those 3 groups for group A,B, and C then input the characters in to said group. You can then share information between those groups and such quite easily. and even make it so that character 1 from group A has information that character 6 from group C needs then you have that information handy.

What you can't do though is to create separate realms/campaigns you can't share information between them at the moment is all. But groups are available for the SAME campaign/realm though.

This making sense you at all?? I hope so
Nikmal is offline   #40 Reply With Quote