Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

Ed Reppert

Old August 27th, 2022, 10:21 PM
What is the relationship between RW and VTTs? Do they complement each other? Does Realmworks replace whatever VTT we may have been using?
Ed Reppert is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old August 28th, 2022, 12:23 AM
RealmWorks is not a VTT. Its a tool to put all of your RPG Campaign in one place. A linked set of world/country/place/people/events, etc... whatever you put into it.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 5th, 2022, 08:24 PM
And the one thing Dami doesn't mention Ed,,,, is Realm Works is dead in the water unfortunately... it's a great black hole you put things in for them never t o come back out... the designers no longer put any effort into supporting it.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old December 5th, 2022, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
And the one thing Dami doesn't mention Ed,,,, is Realm Works is dead in the water unfortunately... it's a great black hole you put things in for them never to come back out... the designers no longer put any effort into supporting it.
I didn't mention it because I expect anyone looking into RW should already know that it isn't being further developed or supported now (and probably won't in future). That doesn't mean it's "dead in the water" by normal definitions. It does work, and people are still using it. The lack of support is extremely disappointing, but I'm more upset with LW in regards HLC and HLO stuff that is meant to be supported and isn't getting that support. At least RW got an official announcement that it's "all over".

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 8th, 2022, 02:41 AM
I use it all the time. RW is the best tool that was ever developed and I tried all possible things, including the new shiny Obsidian stuff that people moved to.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 8th, 2022, 09:50 PM
I'm still using it too, despite the sad lack of further development.

On the topic at hand: Farling wrote an amazing importer for FoundryVTT that works like a charm!

My workflow currently consists of putting my stuff in Realm Works and once I added or changed things I need for the upcoming session, I export my realm in RW and import it into Foundry. For my realm with 1600+ topics and an export file size of over 1.3GB that takes roughly 15min.

Find my stuff on

_|_ F i c t i o n a l m a p s . c o m _|_ D r i v e t h r u R P G _|_
Merion is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 11th, 2022, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
I'm still using it too, despite the sad lack of further development.

On the topic at hand: Farling wrote an amazing importer for FoundryVTT that works like a charm!

My workflow currently consists of putting my stuff in Realm Works and once I added or changed things I need for the upcoming session, I export my realm in RW and import it into Foundry. For my realm with 1600+ topics and an export file size of over 1.3GB that takes roughly 15min.
I must say that my largest import file was only 800 MB, so well done on 1.3 GB actually working

(Large file handling was a pain to write to support the massive files that RW generates.)

Did you know that you can do partial exports (and imports) - rather than exporting the entire realm each time?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old December 17th, 2022, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Did you know that you can do partial exports (and imports) - rather than exporting the entire realm each time?
Yes, I know, but the workflow in realm works is what keeps me from doing that. Because that would mean to add a tag to all changed topics in realm works, do a partial export based on this, then remove the tag from all topics again. It's usually easier to just do everthing.

But you're right, I should probably switch to doing it this way, then I could put more things into compendia.

Find my stuff on

_|_ F i c t i o n a l m a p s . c o m _|_ D r i v e t h r u R P G _|_
Merion is offline   #8 Reply With Quote