Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Announcements

Notices

Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 27th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Please report bugs to support@wolflair.com so that we can figure out what's different about your system, amz1, and why that's creating problems for you.
Mathias is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Itzi

Old September 27th, 2019, 10:21 AM
All clean and smooth for me.
Itzi is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
wdmartin

Old September 30th, 2019, 08:04 AM
Just reporting that I too encountered the message "Only a single instance of Hero Lab can be used at a time prior to licensing" when upgrading. The symptoms (and resolution) went like so:
  1. Opened Hero Lab 8.8 (32-bit).
  2. Used the updater to download Hero Lab 8.9.
  3. Updater asked to exit HL 8.8 in order to Install 8.9. Said yes.
  4. HL 8.9 installer ran and asked if I'd like to restart HL now? Said yes.
  5. HL 8.9 (32-bit) started.
  6. Got the error message "Only a single instance etc." This was slightly puzzling, because I only had one instance running.
  7. Reactivated the existing license (HL 8.9 32-bit).
  8. Exited.
  9. Started HL 8.9 64-bit.
  10. Got the license activation dialog again, and also the "Only a single instance" message.
  11. Reactivated the existing license (HL 8.9 64-bit).
  12. Everything works.

So the trick is that Hero Lab wants you to activate your license separately for both 32-bit and 64-bit copies. When you're upgrading, it automatically starts the 32-bit version first because you were updating from the 32-bit version, so you may as well do that one first, exit, then do the 64-bit one.

Once you've reactivated the license for both processor architectures, everything works fine.

I'm excited to see if I'll be able to compile custom scripts more than one time without restarting Hero Lab using the 64-bit version. That's been a pain in the butt for ages, and my understanding was that it was a memory issue. Hopefully with the 64-bit upgrade HL will be able to address a much larger memory space.
wdmartin is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Matt Droz

Old October 1st, 2019, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
Just reporting that I too encountered the message "Only a single instance of Hero Lab can be used at a time prior to licensing" when upgrading. The symptoms (and resolution) went like so:
  1. Opened Hero Lab 8.8 (32-bit).
  2. Used the updater to download Hero Lab 8.9.
  3. Updater asked to exit HL 8.8 in order to Install 8.9. Said yes.
  4. HL 8.9 installer ran and asked if I'd like to restart HL now? Said yes.
  5. HL 8.9 (32-bit) started.
  6. Got the error message "Only a single instance etc." This was slightly puzzling, because I only had one instance running.
  7. Reactivated the existing license (HL 8.9 32-bit).
  8. Exited.
  9. Started HL 8.9 64-bit.
  10. Got the license activation dialog again, and also the "Only a single instance" message.
  11. Reactivated the existing license (HL 8.9 64-bit).
  12. Everything works.

So the trick is that Hero Lab wants you to activate your license separately for both 32-bit and 64-bit copies. When you're upgrading, it automatically starts the 32-bit version first because you were updating from the 32-bit version, so you may as well do that one first, exit, then do the 64-bit one.

Once you've reactivated the license for both processor architectures, everything works fine.

I'm excited to see if I'll be able to compile custom scripts more than one time without restarting Hero Lab using the 64-bit version. That's been a pain in the butt for ages, and my understanding was that it was a memory issue. Hopefully with the 64-bit upgrade HL will be able to address a much larger memory space.
I thought that's what I said...

Matt Droz Community material (Forgotten Realms & Non-SRD/Retro)
Matt Droz is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 1st, 2019, 11:50 AM
It seems opening multiple instances in 64bit is still buggy.... hopefully this is resolved since working in the editor is alot simpler with multiple instances of HL

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 1st, 2019, 12:13 PM
Please give us more information about what's going wrong with opening multiple instances, Dark Lord Galen. "Buggy" doesn't help us identify the problem and fix it. I use multiple instances daily in my own work, and it's been months since there was a problem with it (since that known issue Silveras mentioned early in this thread - but that only existed for about 2 weeks, and if that was still the issue, it'd fail completely when you tried to open the second one).
Mathias is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 1st, 2019, 12:16 PM
And again, this is the announcement thread. Please do not use this one for bug reports. Please send us full bug reports so that we can reply to ask details about your system, if the issue turns out to be a configuration we hadn't tested.
Mathias is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 2nd, 2019, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
And again, this is the announcement thread. Please do not use this one for bug reports.
Mathias, Agreed, and was not trying to turn it into a bug report, was simply agreeing that it has also been my experience that the 64bit upgrade seems to work when it wants.... I will follow up with more detail (off thread if desired), but LWD has not been rapid of response to bug fixes of late so I have learned not to let it slow me up.

Edit: and combined with this >http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....6&postcount=77
to allow LWD to look into 64bit as it relates to all products and specifically HLC issues before following up with a "bug fix" as per Rob's reply.

With best Regards
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; October 2nd, 2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Clarification
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Raj120p1

Old August 6th, 2020, 08:46 PM
The 64-bit MacOS version 8.9 will not open
Raj120p1 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Prickly Pear

Old September 26th, 2022, 01:11 AM
Same here. Hero Lab Classic does not open after latest MacOS update (macOS 12.6 (21G115)). Please update Hero Lab Classic.
Prickly Pear is offline   #20 Reply With Quote