Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I've been trying for a while to get a wild shape form feature that can select from available templates or specials that are each individual form. Then when the form is selected, it applies the proper changes to your character (removing Claws from base race, adding bite from new form. adding speeds, adding Ex abilities, etc.

I've been unable to get this done the way I like it.

I'd like something to add to the inplay tab (called "Wild Shape Forms"). Once added, it presents a list of available forms. Once a form is selected, it applies all the features.

The forms will be either templates or specials (depending on what is needed to apply all the features.)

I can't get past the initial step. I can't create an anything that can show up on the InPlay or Adjustment tab that searches available templates or specials. I don't even know where to start, since I can't think of a similar way.

The closest is the Age Categories of the Dragons made by LG, but they only take a number on the adjustment page. I want something that depends on other items (templates or specials) to be created and if only one is created it only displays one form.
risner is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 29th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I'm afraid if this were achievable as easily as you're hoping, I'd already have added it. Individual adjustments or templates for every possible form is the only current way to achieve the various shapechaning abilities.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
risner

Old November 29th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
I'm afraid if this were achievable as easily as you're hoping, I'd already have added it. Individual adjustments or templates for every possible form is the only current way to achieve the various shapechaning abilities.
I'm planning on doing individual adjustments/templates for every possible form.

I just don't know how to do that.

Meaning, I know how to make a template and assign it. I just don't want to do it that "ugly". I want to make an In-Play (or adjustment if I have to) that can be used to select from the individual templates I created.
risner is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
risner

Old November 29th, 2010, 01:15 PM
To be clear:
Say I created this object:

In-Play selector widget (adds a line in In-Play tab that initially is set to "None")
When set to None, doesn't do anything. If None needs to be a template called "None" that is ok too.

Add two templates:
Wild Shape Polar Bear
Wild Shape Treant

These templates have tags "WildShapeForm" that the widget uses to know which Templates are allowed (so it doesn't show all templates.)

When you go back to In-Play and click the selector on the widget, it now says:
None
Polar Beat
Treant

If you remove the Treant template, it is removed from the Widget's list.
If you add Wild Shape Monkey, it is added to the options in the Widget's list.

Last edited by risner; November 29th, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
risner is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
risner

Old November 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM
One of the paths I tried was making an Adjustment, made a new "Show Menu" tag of WildShForm. But I don't know how to tag things that it will detect. It just says "Nothing to Select"
risner is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 29th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by risner View Post
I'm planning on doing individual adjustments/templates for every possible form.

I just don't know how to do that.

Meaning, I know how to make a template and assign it. I just don't want to do it that "ugly". I want to make an In-Play (or adjustment if I have to) that can be used to select from the individual templates I created.
I don't know how to do that, either. Like I said, if it were that easy to do this in HL, I'd already have added this capability.

Last edited by Mathias; November 29th, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
risner

Old November 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
I don't know how to do that, either. Like I said, if it were that easy to do this in HL, I'd already have added this capability.
Ok, I see. Hmm. Thanks for responding.

I wonder if this is a question for Rob/Colen? Along the lines of what does "Show Menu" and making a new tag in it do?

I've got templates created, and I can add them manually. I just would like a more elegant thing.
risner is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 29th, 2010, 02:57 PM
This is something I've discussed with Rob and Colen, and we've outlined how it can be done.

The goal is that the adjustments will select the original races, not even having to worry about an intermediate helper template, and figure out from there what needs to be changed.
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
risner

Old November 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:
The goal is that the adjustments will select the original races, not even having to worry about an intermediate helper template, and figure out from there what needs to be changed.
1) To get to this step is a .exe change (in the program) I assume? Is this a large change?

2) Is there any docs for how to use the "Show Menu" feature "New Tag" and what it does? I assume this couldn't be used?

3) Do you do bounties on new features? In other words, I'd pay for the programming work required ;-)

---

Sadly for me, this is the primary reason I need D20 data sets. I have exactly one character on D20 now, and it happens to be a MoMF Druid with a ton of forms. So the work to calculate the differences in each form is so complex it almost makes having HL not an advantage. So it is this one thing that has nagged me from the first day I built this character. Getting HL to make this easier for me.
risner is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Remember that Wild Shape forms can currently be implemented with Templates or Adjustments. What's missing is for the Wild Shape ability on the class to have a menu to select the current form you're in. I'm afraid the fact that an okay solution to the problem is do-able pushes the ideal solution down further on the to-do list. The currently available option is only less than ideal because it clutters up the adjustments or templates lists.
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote