Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Card Vault Forums > Card Vault

Notices

BrooklynMike

Old April 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM
Some of the card games I play (Call of Cthulhu, Vampire: TES) are far out of date in Card Vault, some as old as 2005. Warhammer invasion doesn't exist yet. Will these be brought up to date / created?
BrooklynMike is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 25th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Oops. Sorry for missing this post before. I just saw it, so I'll do my best to answer...

In the first few years of Card Vault's existence, we tried to support almost everything. This resulted in us spending a significant amount of time chasing down spoiler data for a lot of games. Unfortunately, most CCG/CMG publishers didn't have processes in place to make this happen. As a result, we would regularly receive incomplete data - sometimes flat-out *wrong* data - and the data formats would frequently change with each new release.

To further complicate matters, quite a few publishers experienced personnel changes of the people in charge multiple times a year, which led to continuity breaks. This usually forced us to start over with someone new and make new arrangements to obtain the spoiler data all over again. Even when everything was in place, we rarely received the promised spoiler data without having to send numerous requests and reminders. Just supporting one game required a huge amount of time and effort, let alone the vast array of games that were popular back then.

Very few of the games from during that time still exist. Of those that do, most have transitioned to new publishers at least once. Sadly, the culture of disorganization still seems to persist within the industry. Trying to maintain any continuity in the data files across publishers has been a losing battle. And there are a couple of major publishers that apparently don't see value providing spoiler data at all.

After what can best be described as "trying to herd cats" for many years, we established some basic (some would say common sense) guidelines for determining which games would be actively supported by us. At this point, though, there are few games which meet those basic criteria. Fortunately, there are some. For example, Wizards has been excellent to work with and provides us with consistent spoiler data for Magic.

For other game systems, users can utilize the free Authoring Kit to setup and maintain data files for any game they want. And if a user sets up data files for a particular game, we'll happily enable them to share those data files with all users via the integrated Updates mechanism. For many games, users have done this. Unfortunately, for a large number of those games, the users ultimately became frustrated by similar experiences to ours and stopped supporting the data files.

None of the games you cite above satisfy the basic guidelines we've established for in-house development and ongoing support of the data files. The various difficulties I've outlined all plague these particular games in one way or another. As such, we have no current plans to create and/or update the data files for those particular games. If one of the publishers of those games approached us about developing Card Vault data files and was committed to making it possible for us to readily support their game(s) in an ongoing manner, we'd been keenly interested. Alas, that's not the case at the present time. :-(
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
flamepulse

Old January 7th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I would love to buy this program, but with it being a yearly sub fee, it isnt worth it since data files are not guarenteed to be supported.
flamepulse is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Hoodsey

Send a message via AIM to Hoodsey Send a message via MSN to Hoodsey Send a message via Yahoo to Hoodsey Send a message via Skype™ to Hoodsey

Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:08 PM
As rob stated, the Authoring Kit is free, and it's easy to learn XML, I tried the app, saw the outdated data files, and still purchased it because of the ability to author and make my own data files.
Hoodsey is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
thebutcher
Volunteer Data File Author

Old July 19th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Hey there!

I've started a file for WH:Invasion. It's complete up to the Enemy cycle, including the two expansions. So, feel free to download a demo and see how the program runs!

Cheers!
Butcher

Warmachine/Hordes ('Retired' Confrontation and AT-43) Army Builder Author.
Magic the Gathering Card Vault Author.
thebutcher is offline   #5 Reply With Quote