Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Hey everyone, I have some questions as to what you'd all like to see in terms of printed character sheets.

The M&M web site has a 3-page character sheet here:

http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com...asterminds.php

Which looks similar to, but not quite the same as, the one in the M&M core rulebook. The big changes appear to be the column widths (the rulebook has unequal columns, the new sheet has them all taking up half the page) and the space for powers (the original has a big place to write stuff, the new sheet has boxes to tick for which category the power goes into, etc).

Which of the two designs do you guys prefer, and why? Is there anything that the sheets don't do, that you think should be included, and why?

Thanks for your help! I'm close to starting work on the character sheet output, so I'd like any ideas you have.
Colen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
LinusMundane

Old April 28th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I like the Core book sheets, for the reason you listed. the place for notes is big for me. Is it possible to make the output sheet dynamic based on powers you have.... ie. if you use more than the listed amount of powers, the sheet will grow? The space for feats should be as clean as possible, allowing for as many as possible to be listed. I will post more ideas if they come to me.
LinusMundane is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
darktouch

Old April 29th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Oh.. opening the door to suggestions? Hehe.

1. The sheet you are linked to is the 1st edition sheet. 2nd edition is here: http://64.17.155.164/2e_files/MMcharsheet3p.pdf

2. If given the option between the two, I prefer the unequal column length. More room for notes on powers.

3. My favorite sheet so far is the Extended Archetype sheet in the Beginners guide with notes on how each of the powers works.

4. The Character Folio (basically an extended version of the basic sheet) has a really really useful section under the 'Attacks' section that allows you to list each of your attacks along with to-hit, effects, and save information. It makes it so easy to get right into the combat.
darktouch is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM
The sheet will definitely be dynamic - we can even append extra pages if you have a large numbe of powers.

darktouch - thanks for the pointer to the 2nd edition file - I guess the 3-page sheet I linked to is outdated, so the unequal columns would be better.

I'll definitely take a look at the character record folio, since it sounds like it has some nice touches (like vehicle and hq record sheets, and the attacks you mentioned). Looking at the sheets in the beginners guide, those look pretty nice. I'll see if we can include the extended descriptions as an option.

Thanks!
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
darktouch

Old April 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Don't get too carried away with the folio ;-) I like some of the touches but I'd rather see a clean single page sheet than have to flip through 17 pages.

I'm really excited to see this starting to become a reality. The hope that it'll be good is the only think keeping me from hacking together a monstrosity in Access.
darktouch is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 30th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Optional pages & sections might help. Some characters will need tons of extra room and some won't. I know this for a fact.
FifthWanderer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
loki.the.mischievous

Old May 1st, 2008, 04:55 AM
Other helpful things (for both a player and a GM) would be to include a spot for movement (which takes into account all forms of movement the character has available); a space for Power Points to be recorded on the sheet (for players who choose to hold on to power points until such time as the power they want to upgrade is affordable); a place to record their knockback modifier; a listing for damage (both for unarmed and armed, since power damage is easy enough to figure); conditions & condition modifiers (a lot like what you've already got in place for D20); outputs for alternate forms. What I've been using for my campaign, which covers a lot of this, but requires a lot of manual entry, is the OpenOffice.org character generator spreadsheet located at http://www.westguard.org/MnM2e/bb_mnm2e_2.04.ods

When it comes to GM tools (which I know is off topic for this particular thread), I'd like to see a way to incorporate a "team chooser", where you have an inventory of heroes, villains, bystanders, whatever (which can be added to by the GM over and above any that are already included with the program) that will also serve as a combat tracker with the basic stats and powers listed (expanding on the sheet listed at http://www.ecore-central.com/downloa...king_Sheet.pdf)
  #7 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 1st, 2008, 05:19 AM
One thing I'd like to see is the GM tracker incorporating a condition monitor. Something that can keep track of who's stunned, nauseated, whatever.
FifthWanderer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM
We'll definitely have options to enable / disable some stuff. For example, printing or not printing vehicles & HQs, minions and sidekicks, etc. That way you can have one 5-page sheet with absolutely everything on it, or just a standard 2-page sheet that has your character and nothing else.

I've just added support for tracking "Attacks", which will let you show the attack bonus, save DC etc of all your powers and weapons, and I'm about to do the same for movement.

Conditions will definitely be incorporated.

For the GM tools, we'll include many "stock heroes" - archetypes, enemies, NPCs, and so on. You'll also be able to create your own, and import them to use in combat whenever you like.
Colen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ART!

Old May 5th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthWanderer
Optional pages & sections might help. Some characters will need tons of extra room and some won't. I know this for a fact.
I think that's a pretty crucial feature.

Also, I like having a single, front page that has all the essentials (Abilities, skills, feats, powers, devices, combat) without all the math, but with room for notes on how powers work of what benefits a Feat gives, and then supplemental sheets with more detailed info.

I would like to have multiple options of how to configure a character sheet or what to include. I don't mean rearrangeing blocks of information visually, but just what info is included.
ART! is offline   #10 Reply With Quote