Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Colen neglected to mention an important additional detail regarding the Beta. The current list of Beta testers was provided to us by Green Ronin. Ultimately, it is GR who has final say on who can/can't be included in the M&M Beta. If someone wants to participate in the Beta, approval needs to be secured from GR. I'm not saying that new folks can't be added to the Beta, but there is an important extra hurdle that is outside of our control.

I should also take a moment to clarify Colen's comment about "lack of features". Thus far, the focus within the M&M files has been on the "hard stuff", with the "easy stuff" being completely ignored. For example, how do we cleanly, intuitively, and efficiently let users create and modify power arrays? And what about power arrays with alternate powers associated with each power in the array? And what about various power feats, flaws, drawbacks, and whatnot on some of those powers? I'm sure that this one example alone should elicit an "Ugh!" from you M&M veterans out there. And there are multiple "Ugh!" situations within the M&M character creation process (devices, anyone?).

So Colen has been focusing on these nasty things first. Once those are well in hand - which they basically are at this point - then it's time to focus on the easy stuff. However, without all that easy stuff in place, the M&M files lack a lot of utility for character creation, and that's what Colen meant by "lack of features".

We have been Beta testing how all the hard stuff should work and getting feedback on that stuff alone. With the hard stuff pretty well sorted out, Colen is now overhauling the visuals in preparation for a public preview. The preview will show off how well we can handle all the nasty stuff. If we can do that well, then you won't have any doubts about how the easy stuff will be handled. :-)

And yes, there will be a second public preview shortly before official release of the M&M files that will incorporate nearly everything - including all the easy stuff.
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
DannyBoy2k

Old December 19th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Ok. Well, that all is up to you and GR to decide, then. I would find it interesting and fun o be part of the Beta-ing, but it seems as if GR doesn't want that, so I'll content myself with playing with it when it's done.

-------------
By Lenin's Beard Gel!
DannyBoy2k is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Harmon

Old January 6th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Actually I am a tester, or was, as I have not looked at the software in more then a month. With the save option added I will alert my group (also testers) and see if they are interested in resuming the testing they too gave up on.

It seems that you all lost about four or more weeks of testing from four people (about 16 weeks) due to this little snafu related to theft of what might be a very good product (if I can get past my feeling due to the saving option not being there).

Sorry about the lost time, but my own time is limited and I have not the time to make the same characters over and over again looking for more in depth issues with a program that I hope works.

Take care, and hope I can find the time to get this going again.
Harmon is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Harmon wrote:
>
>
> Actually I am a tester, or was, as I have not looked at the software in
> more then a month. With the save option added I will alert my group
> (also testers) and see if they are interested in resuming the testing
> they too gave up on.
>
> It seems that you all lost about four or more weeks of testing from four
> people (about 16 weeks) due to this little snafu related to theft of
> what might be a very good product (if I can get past my feeling due to
> the saving option not being there).
>
> Sorry about the lost time, but my own time is limited and I have not the
> time to make the same characters over and over again looking for more in
> depth issues with a program that I hope works.
>
> Take care, and hope I can find the time to get this going again.

I hope you find the time to try out HL again. However, please keep
discussion of the beta to the beta forums and not the public ones.

Thanks,

--
Colen McAlister, colen@wolflair.com
Chief Engineer, Lone Wolf Development
Colen is offline   #14 Reply With Quote