Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What should we do next?
Auto-conversion of e-tools data? 2 9.09%
Auto-conversion of PCGen data? 0 0%
Continue to improve the editing tools? 8 36.36%
Add some missing features from the SRD? 6 27.27%
Get to work on other games! 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 29th, 2006, 01:44 AM
Work on Hero Lab v1.0c proceeds apace. The main feature v1.0c will introduce is editing - allowing you to define your own facets of the data files. Initially you will be able to edit races, feats, and a few other objects.

Once v1.0c is out, what would you like us to focus on next? We can work on allowing PCGen or E-tools data to be imported and used with Hero Lab, or on making the editing tools more useful and flexible, or on adding missing stuff from the SRD (like NPC classes or monstrous races), or we can start looking at other games to support.

Which would you like to see? Vote now!
Colen is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
halfhand

Old December 29th, 2006, 08:01 AM
That's a really hard choice. I would really like to vote for both the importing of etools data and adding new games. But since I can't and my gaming group is currently playing Heroes Unlimited and Rifts from Palladium I think I'll vote for new games
halfhand is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Giddoen

Old December 29th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Yeah my vote goes for new stuff like anything from Palladium or even Green Ronin's Mutants and Masterminds would be awesome!

Giddoen

I have faith!...my character sheet says so!
Giddoen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Droopy-99

Old December 30th, 2006, 08:24 AM
I'm a straight up D&D player, and long time eTools user. But CMP lost their WotC license, so now what? I can still use eTools as is, but ongoing development of new books is gone (for example PHB II, Complete Mage/ Scoundrel...) I like the HeroLab demo, but before I dive in, I'd like to see support for not only what I've got so far, but someone who'll continue developing the new books. Any chance HeroLab will go down that route? Importation of eTools datasets would work nicely for me, as long as new books are coming too. There's little reason for me to invest in something new that only does what I've already got.

But I suspect Lone Wolf already knows that many folks are in the same boat as me...
Droopy-99 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 31st, 2006, 03:54 AM
There is an extensive community of users of our other products that create data files for the entire spectrum of games and then share them with everyone. Based on that experience and the fact that creating data files for Hero Lab should be vastly easier than it is for a product like Army Builder, it's highly likely that a similar user community will arise for Hero Lab. Once we have all the tools in place for adding custom material (see other posts for details), I won't be surprised to start seeing data files for new books appearing and being shared with some regularity.

-Rob

At 09:24 AM 12/30/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
I'm a straight up D&D player, and long time eTools user. But CMP lost their WotC license, so now what? I can still use eTools as is, but ongoing development of new books is gone (for example PHB II, Complete Mage/ Scoundrel...) I like the HeroLab demo, but before I dive in, I'd like to see support for not only what I've got so far, but someone who'll continue developing the new books. Any chance HeroLab will go down that route? Importation of eTools datasets would work nicely for me, as long as new books are coming too. There's little reason for me to invest in something new that only does what I've already got.

But I suspect Lone Wolf already knows that many folks are in the same boat as me...
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Droopy-99

Old December 31st, 2006, 05:58 AM
Is that kind of sharing illegal, or is it only if someone SELLS them? Would that be akin to buying a D&D Complete Arcane (which isn't part of OGL), photocopying it and distributing it for free? I thought that licensing prevented that.

One of my difficulties with my current software was that certain features of the rules could not be added at all, or with extreme difficulty. If HL is (or will be soon) flexible enough for me to easily create content and rule features, then I'd be sold in a heartbeat.
Droopy-99 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
Photocopying the books and distributing it for free is definitely illegal, since that fully replaces the actual book and eliminates any need for purchasing said book. With respect to data files, there are shades of grey. If the data files are created in full detail such that the book is not necessary, then the data files would be illegal. However, if the data files lack lots of critical information that is covered in the book and simply make it possible to create and manage the bookkeeping of a character, then those data files don't replace the book. In this latter scenario, the data files actually provide a benefit to the publisher, since book sales aren't threatened and the availability of the tools lowers the barrier of entry to new players and allows players to immerse themselves more fully in the game itself, which actually increases sales in the end. This is (IMHO) why WotC has allowed HeroForge to continue, since its authors strive to NOT replace the books. If data files for Hero Lab are created similarly, then everybody wins!

The advantage of licensing is that the publisher receives a royalty on all sales. That allows more material to be included in the data files, to the extent that the data files could potentially negatively impact the sales of the books. However, the publisher is being compensated for that financially, so it's not a problem.

We're pushing hard to get preliminary data files editing into place by sometime tonight. It won't be complete yet, but you'll definitely get a chance to see how easy it will be to add your own material.

-Rob

At 06:58 AM 12/31/2006, you wrote:

Quote:
Is that kind of sharing illegal, or is it only if someone SELLS them? Would that be akin to buying a D&D PHB, photocopying it and distributing it for free? I thought that licensing prevented that.

One of my difficulties with my current software was that certain features of the rules could not be added at all, or with extreme difficulty. If HL is (or will be soon) flexible enough for me to easily create content and rule features, then I'd be sold in a heartbeat.
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote