Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
MugMug
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3

Old November 1st, 2011, 12:55 PM
I ran a search on the Realm Works forum for "Mac" and "Apple," but didn't find any mention (or question) as to whether RW will be available on the Mac.

So... will it?

Thanks!
MugMug is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old November 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugMug View Post
I ran a search on the Realm Works forum for "Mac" and "Apple," but didn't find any mention (or question) as to whether RW will be available on the Mac.

So... will it?
Not initially. But the plan is to make Realm Works available on the Mac as well at some point *after* we get the Windows version out. Exactly how long that will take is a complete unknown at this point. We first need to get the Windows version developed. :-)
rob is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 219

Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:00 AM
I wanna emphasis my desire for two things very strongly. Pathfinder support, and d20Pro integration. Pathfinder is my system of choice, and d20Pro is how I do all my gaming these days, either face to face or online.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miamisburg, OH
Posts: 1,321

Old November 2nd, 2011, 08:09 AM
No to worry about the PF support. Realm Works wil be system independant. So it can be used with any system at all, even ones not supported by HL.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 171
Send a message via ICQ to Fox Lee Send a message via AIM to Fox Lee Send a message via MSN to Fox Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Fox Lee Send a message via Skype™ to Fox Lee

Old April 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM
May I necromance the thread to ask just how things are going with Realm Works' development? Obvioulsy I missed the beta intake, but now that I'm aware of the project I'm eager for news.

I never thought I would be all that interested in a tool like this, but now - the longer I spend plotting campaigns in word processors, or try to use novel/storyline development software to apply to game planning - the more excited I get to see it completed. It probably doesn't help that I'm converting a level 1-30 adventure path with 12 modules, and I'm being super-picky about changing every incidental name and description to match my homebrew setting... my "GM Reference" document is quickly becoming bigger than any of the individual adventures. In any case, what I'm saying is that at this stage if a pre-order came up I'd probably jump on it.

Since I'm here, I may as well ask about features I'm hoping to see...
  • Random name grab-bag with user-defined lists. I have big lists of names that suit particular races and areas in my campaign, since the standard D&D set don't always work with my world. When I'm put on the spot for a bit-part NPC I didn't think about too hard, I'd love a button that lets me grab a random name from the appropriate list without any hassle.
  • The ability to have multiple versions of NPCs tied to each other - so you could, for example, have a level 2 version of Whatshisface and a level 6 version for later on, both tagged as being Whatshisface.
  • Some manner of user-defined fields for NPCs. I don't actually give most of mine stats, since I don't want to ever risk them upstaging the PCs, but I do like to create them as "cohort" entities that can give the party certain benefits. I'm sure I could just write things like that in their description, but it would be much more excellent to see versatility similar to HeroLab, where I could create fields like "services" and "active benefit" as part of a template for my NPCs.
  • Association between quests/plots and other entities. For example, working the the cohort rules I mentioned above, the party can improve their cohorts by taking on quests dealing with their personal plots. I'm hoping RealmWorks would let me categorise or tag quests/plots as being major, minor, personal, tied to a particular character or area, linked to/triggered by another quest/plot, and so forth.
  • Sorting options for, like, everything. One of the most annoying things about working with plain old document formats is that most stuff has to be changed manually (embedded spreadsheets/databases have helped with some of that, but they make the document big and clunky and don't enjoy running on my netbook). Being able to sort entities by, say their location, relation to the party, time-sensitivity, plot importance, or any number of other factors (especially, in my case, old or new name) would be a huge boon.
So, am I fortunate enought that any of those things are implemented/planned/being considered?

Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
Invincible Ink - Original indie tabletop games on demand
Skies of Escarnum - inclusive D&D 4e homebrew content
HeroLab 4e patch contributor

Last edited by Fox Lee; April 20th, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Fox Lee is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old April 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
Random name grab-bag with user-defined lists. I have big lists of names that suit particular races and areas in my campaign, since the standard D&D set don't always work with my world. When I'm put on the spot for a bit-part NPC I didn't think about too hard, I'd love a button that lets me grab a random name from the appropriate list without any hassle.
This isn't planned for the initial release, but it's something that many GMs would find useful. That being said, it will be easy to setup your own lists to pull from within Realm Works. The only thing we won't have in the initial release is random retrieval from your list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
The ability to have multiple versions of NPCs tied to each other - so you could, for example, have a level 2 version of Whatshisface and a level 6 version for later on, both tagged as being Whatshisface.
Absolutely in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
Some manner of user-defined fields for NPCs. I don't actually give most of mine stats, since I don't want to ever risk them upstaging the PCs, but I do like to create them as "cohort" entities that can give the party certain benefits. I'm sure I could just write things like that in their description, but it would be much more excellent to see versatility similar to HeroLab, where I could create fields like "services" and "active benefit" as part of a template for my NPCs.
Definitely in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
Association between quests/plots and other entities. For example, working the the cohort rules I mentioned above, the party can improve their cohorts by taking on quests dealing with their personal plots. I'm hoping RealmWorks would let me categorise or tag quests/plots as being major, minor, personal, tied to a particular character or area, linked to/triggered by another quest/plot, and so forth.
This is the crux of Realm Works. You should be able to do just about anything you can think of in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Lee View Post
Sorting options for, like, everything. One of the most annoying things about working with plain old document formats is that most stuff has to be changed manually (embedded spreadsheets/databases have helped with some of that, but they make the document big and clunky and don't enjoy running on my netbook). Being able to sort entities by, say their location, relation to the party, time-sensitivity, plot importance, or any number of other factors (especially, in my case, old or new name) would be a huge boon.
As above, this is a fundamental aspect of Realm Works. It won't just be sorting, but full searching/filtering, visualizing, and navigating via the links between the assorted content.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Spence
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 119

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM
The more I hear the better things sound
Spence is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
Thrantor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 105

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
I'd also like every character sheet to be available to me at any given time, with any treasure I give out to be allocated to specific party members. Nothing worse than a convenient "Oh, I've got the Staff of Wind Mastery in my backpack" when the character who really has it happens to be unconscious at the bottom of a cliff. In the past, I have had to use 'playing card' blanks with the equipment and description written on it so I know who has what.

Oh, and tracking gems, party wealth in coins, and unidentified magic items.
I second this idea. I've discovered recently that trying to keep the hidden features of an item hidden SUCKS.

If I give the party a gem and they don't appraise it or mark down where it came from... three months from now they are going to say "oh, and we sell the red gem." Ummm... which red gem, how much do the PCs think it's worth and how much IS it worth?

So, something that would allow me to track valuables, magic items and what the players know about it would be excellent. Sure, it doesn't seem worth it time wise for a 25 gp "red gem"... but what happens when they get it confused with the 5000gp "red gem". Neither of which had been appraised at that point.

Last edited by Thrantor; May 8th, 2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: cause my grammar sucks.
Thrantor is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 622
Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM
This level of detail is all doable, you just have to be patient enough to put it into the tool. I'm sure rob and the team will be able to say more, but I would be happy with what it can do in this case.
thedarkelf007 is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Thrantor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 105

Old May 9th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkelf007 View Post
This level of detail is all doable, you just have to be patient enough to put it into the tool. I'm sure rob and the team will be able to say more, but I would be happy with what it can do in this case.
Yeah, I'm hoping it's simple. Where I can just drag and drop an item "object" onto the "Rogue" object. Simple is good.
Thrantor is offline   #50 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.