Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nanan00

Old November 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Sorry for the confusion, Surface Pro is for intel/amd chips and Surface RT is for ARM chips, the Surface RT is what is going on sale now, the Surface Pro will go on sale next year from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
That's our understanding of things as well. The Surface RT, which is out now, runs a different chip and entirely different operating system. It's similar to the iPad running iOS and the Mac running OSX - two completely different systems and no compatibility of programs.

When the Surface Pro comes out, it will run a full version of Windows 8, which means it should run applications like Hero Lab smoothly. Note the operative word here is "should".

We don't have access to a Surface Pro, so we have no idea how well things will actually work at this point. All we have is the info Microsoft has published thus far. We'll know for sure when the Surface Pro is actually released.

Hope this helps!
Programs that run under win7 64 will work with Win8 but they will not show up properly on the tiles unless you code for it.

Last edited by Nanan00; November 1st, 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Nanan00 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
DorVLind

Old November 4th, 2012, 11:09 AM
If this helps, here's the breakdown:

There are 3 versions of Windows 8:
Windows 8 RT (Run Time): a scaled down version designed to run on low-powered chips (e.g., the ARM processor) used in tablets and netbooks. This is only available pre-installed on devices, just like the iPad, Kindle Fire, Nexus, etc. Any device that runs RT should clearly say so. This is the OS on the Surface RT (the one that just came out).

Windows 8 Pro: "Normal" Windows that you see on desktops and laptops. You can buy it as a separate piece of software and upgrade existing PCs. (Windows 8 actually runs really well on older PCs or low-end hardware. If you have a machine that’s painfully slow on Windows 7, give Windows 8 a try before you give up on the machine.) This is the standard OS on the Surface Pro (which is due to come out at the end of the year).

Windows 8 Enterprise: “Normal” Windows with additional features for data security and corporate domain support. This is mainly for organizations with a network and IT department, and it’s primarily sold through site licenses. Some PCs and laptops might have this version installed.

About Hero Lab (and other software):

Windows RT can only run programs written for that platform. It does support Remote Desktop, though, so you could theoretically run Hero Lab on your desktop and remote in from your RT device. (Assuming proper connections and configurations, of course. I have not yet tried this, but unless Hero Lab blocks remote desktop somehow, it should work fairly seamlessly.)

Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise should run any Windows 7 program with no visible difference except adding touch capabilities. I am currently running Hero Lab under Windows 8 on an old Toshiba Satellite and a new Samsung Ativ tablet: It works perfectly on both.

When you install Hero Lab on Windows 8, it creates a static tile at the end of the Start screen, which is just like a shortcut on the desktop. (Windows 7 programs do not support live tiles.) If you don’t see the tile, just search for the program, right-click/touch-and-hold the icon, and select Pin to Start.
DorVLind is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old November 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM
ok...

unrelated, but the bulletin board presentation like on the horrid windows phones is the "tiles" your talking of, right? Win8 has this as the default "desktop" and the regular browsing with folders and programs is now limited.

From what little I see, you have to go to the regular desktop and use the folder icon in the bar to browse through folders.

I have been told that programs are now called "apps" and that Win8 has the same type of storefront for "Apps" that mirrors what Steam and Origin does.

Really don't see a reason to upgrade at this point. It seems to be another Win 3.1 slap on an old OS (Win8 on Win7/XP this time) instead of an improved OS.
thaX is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
DorVLind

Old November 4th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Briefly, no, it's not just a new façade over Windows 7. Significant amounts of the base code was rewritten, with touch support and "cloud" support considered in the lowest kernels. If you want the technical details, check out the Building Windows 8 blog on MSDN.microsoft.com.

Whether or not you upgrade should be driven by what features you need and how you can best get them. If you need touch support or want faster search times or new energy efficient hardware, you'd probably end up with Windows 8.

(Full disclosure: I work for Microsoft, but not in the Windows 8 division. I only know what's been published and available to everyone.)
DorVLind is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
sgprodigy

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Can we get back to the real issue of this thread?

I had not been using Hero Lab for several years. I decided to install Windows 8 on my laptop the first week Win 8 was available. I then installed Hero Lab onto the new OS load. I was able to get everything up and running and then purchased a whole bunch of Pathfinder product for Hero Lab. Everything was working great.

Hero Lab had an update that I performed (same PC, same OS, no changes) and through the process it asked to re-activate. So I did that. Now it says I'm unlicensed, AND it says that I can't move it to a new PC for 120 days. I didn't move the software...

The only other thing that I did was explore my old 3.5 "Game System". I don't recall if it asked me to re-active or not, but it might have. So both of these things happened over the weekend...

Long story short. Same PC, same OS, and no changes to the PC. Was working great until I either downloaded an update or possibly reactivated my license for my 3.5 product. Help...playing tonight!!!
sgprodigy is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:01 AM
sgprodigy, when you installed Hero Lab on your laptop, did you use the same license number you had been using on your existing computer?

If so, what you did is to move that license number to the laptop.

Then, when you updated Hero Lab on your computer, what you were doing was to move that license number back from the laptop to the computer, and you got the error that you can't move a license number more than once within 120 days.

Email support@wolflair.com to get the 120 day period reset. Then check my post #2 in this thread for how to obtain a second license number - you'll use the original license number on the computer and the new license number on the laptop.
Mathias is online now   #16 Reply With Quote
Krimson

Send a message via MSN to Krimson Send a message via Yahoo to Krimson Send a message via Skype™ to Krimson

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I can confirm Windows 8 Pro works with Hero Lab. In fact I might have to contact support when I switch over one of my Linux laptops that I have licence on.
Krimson is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Frodie

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:51 PM
I have it also working fine on Win8 Pro, but I did have to re-activate the license. Works fine.
Frodie is offline   #18 Reply With Quote