Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

AWizardInDallas

Send a message via AIM to AWizardInDallas Send a message via MSN to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Yahoo to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Skype™ to AWizardInDallas

Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:13 PM
So, I've been trying to figure out how to add monsters into Hero Lab and am finding it a rather daunting task. I would like to reduce the time it takes from days or hours. Minutes would be even better

I have managed to figure out that this is done via the race tab in the editor? Also, I've managed to figure out that when you do add a new monster, it appears on the race tab (as a selectable race) rather than in the encounter builder. Odd. Here's an example of what I'm trying to get entered (I'm running Savage Tide and this is a monster particular to the adventure):

RHAGODESSA
CR: 2
XP: 600
N Medium vermin
Init: +1; Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +2
Immune: Vermin traits
Str 19, Dex 12, Con 13, Int –, Wis 14, Cha 6
Base Atk: +3; CMB: +7 (+11 grapple); CMD: 18 (30 vs. trip)
Feats: Spring AttackB
Skills: Climb +12
SQ: Powerful bite
flesh. A creature that escapes with Escape Artist does not suffer this damage.
Powerful Bite (Ex): A rhagodessa applies 1-½ times its Strength modifier to bite
damage.

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 22nd, 2017, 09:46 PM
For one-off monsters, you could just create them directly as a character by choosing "bestiary monster creation" as the race on the Background tab.

It is far quicker than trying to build a monster from lots of elements in the editor (around 10 minutes for the above).

"Pedipalp" just requires entering as a new ability that is linked to a specific natural attack. I chose to use claws since that is a primary natural attack.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; December 22nd, 2017 at 10:02 PM.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:03 PM
The encounter builder shows "characters" that you have saved as .stock files instead of .por files (and the .stock files have been put into the pathfinder data folder).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Send a message via AIM to AWizardInDallas Send a message via MSN to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Yahoo to AWizardInDallas Send a message via Skype™ to AWizardInDallas

Old December 27th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The encounter builder shows "characters" that you have saved as .stock files instead of .por files (and the .stock files have been put into the pathfinder data folder).
So I think what you're saying is that the creator makes stock file content and that I should save it with a .stock extension and put it in the data directory?

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Old December 27th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
For one-off monsters, you could just create them directly as a character by choosing "bestiary monster creation" as the race on the Background tab.

It is far quicker than trying to build a monster from lots of elements in the editor (around 10 minutes for the above).

"Pedipalp" just requires entering as a new ability that is linked to a specific natural attack. I chose to use claws since that is a primary natural attack.
So I'm having a few issues:

1. The bite is the primary attack. If I enter a claw or pincher attack for the pedipalps, it reduces the bite damage from 1d8+6 (correct) to 1d8+4 (incorrect).
2. I added a pedipalp "New Ability" but don't see how to tie it an attack, like pincer or claw?
3. The edit is not recognizing the bonus feat even though I: 1) added a bonus feat via "Feats Allowed" and +1; 2) Identified "Spring Attack" as a bonus feat using "Feat, Mark as Bonus."

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 28th, 2017, 12:11 AM
1 - you are missing the "Powerful Bite" special quality - make sure you pick the one that gives 1 1/2 strength bonus (not double).

2 - For Pedalps, I set "statblock location" to "specific natural attack" and chose "claw x2" in the next box.

3 - add the "Spring Attack" to the "racial bonus feats" on the "Background" tab.

4 - set the number of legs to 8 gets your CMB to 26 vs trip - there is a bug in HeroLab which means that having 6 legs or more only gives your a +8 bonus vs trip - it should be +2 per extra leg. Incrementing the #legs counter only updates the trip value every second update (by +4 per 2 legs).

Farling

Last edited by Farling; December 28th, 2017 at 12:22 AM.
Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AWizardInDallas

Old December 28th, 2017, 08:25 AM
All excellent advice! Thank you.

I had to turn off unarmed attacks from the character settings as I didn't see another way to do that. The monster has 10 legs, but the CMD is coming out with 26 vs. trip instead of 30 (the number of legs is 10).

I also just noticed that vermin traits doesn't appear on the stat block output. I was able to add it in the immunities section, but shouldn't it appear automatically based on type selection?

AWizardInDallas
AWizardInDallas is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 28th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWizardInDallas View Post
I also just noticed that vermin traits doesn't appear on the stat block output. I was able to add it in the immunities section, but shouldn't it appear automatically based on type selection?
It probably should. The information is listed in the racial tooltip, but it should also be on the main character sheet. Maybe you should submit a bug for it.

Farling

Farling is offline   #8 Reply With Quote