Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Vash108

Old February 25th, 2014, 01:15 PM
I would like a Projector view that I could have in another window or screen that I could use to project Maps, pictures and such to a surface.

The end result would be my Ability to project the playing grid or city maps onto a table where my players put their pieces. This way I can reveal fog of war directly onto the tabletop.
Vash108 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Player View can do that. I've never oriented it to project onto a table - but that's because I don't have the necessary hardware to orient the projector that way.
pyremius is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 25th, 2014, 06:41 PM
To clarify, are you looking for "Projector View" to be a whole separate view from "Player View"?
liz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vash108

Old February 26th, 2014, 01:15 PM
yes a separate view run by the GM. I can have my regular realm works up on my Surface or laptop and a secondary screen as a map or picture view. This way I could have the maps up projected onto my tabletop which we can use as live player maps. Possibly with the ability to draw on the screen.
Vash108 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nostromos

Old March 27th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I run my games that way as well. I just have the projector as a seperate monitor on my computer and put the player view up on that. Then I can have the map there or whatever I want to show to them (town picture, whatever).
Nostromos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nostromos

Old March 27th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Actually now that I've played with it more I see what your talking about Vash.

1. Grid lines would be awesome to put over a map to change it to tactical
2. Eliminate the border around the map as an option
3. Change the background color of the player view to black so you can reveal the map as they go without blinding the players from the projector going from dark to light.

Items #2 and 3 would be VERY awesome to get (and hopefully easily coded). Item #1 I can understand taking a bit longer...and I can do grid overlays through my map program/photoshop in the meantime (just makes scaling a little harder).
Nostromos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old March 27th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Why not just have your grid on the actual map you're using in RealmWorks? Or, if you're using a projector anyway, what about projecting onto a Battlemat or other already-gridded surface?

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Nostromos

Old March 27th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Well if you have a town and the group suddenly picks a fight on the street its nice to zoom into that location and throw down a gridmap at that point. I guess you'd have to define the size of the area to begin with rather then just using snaping a jpg into it though for that to work. Just nice being able to hide it and reveal it as needed (I guess you can always do 2 maps, one with a grid and one without but thats more work for me as a DM).

The Battlemat isn't a bad idea but its not the most reflective in the world for a projector. We use a white vinyl table cloth as it shows everything really well

Thats why I put that as a "not as important" item....the other 2 are really nice for using a projector view.
Nostromos is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old March 27th, 2014, 06:34 PM
This is where you're starting to get into the Virtual TableTop realm.

For this type of thing, I prefer to use MapTool or Roll20, but there are many out there.
lifer4700 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Nostromos

Old March 28th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Well technically Realm Works is a Virtual TableTop in some ways...I'm just hoping for one tool to manage my games from a high level running/describing the world down to running combat as well. Having to jump between different tools is a pain in the middle of things. I'm fine with making my maps in Photoshop or Campaign Cartographer (I prefer that finite detail) but when a software has a "fog of world" feature and the tutorials show it for a small tower map of "what players can see"...being able to use that in a dungeon crawl would be awesome.
Nostromos is offline   #10 Reply With Quote