Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Parody

Old January 24th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Remember that Realm Works Cloud Service is already supposed to be a paid subscription, and player access (including via the web) requires Cloud Service. The only stated reason that they're not currently charging anyone for Cloud Service is the long delayed launch of the Content Market.

RW FAQ: My GM does not have Cloud Service. Can I still use Player Edition in his/her game?

RW Cloud FAQ: If I have cloud service, will my players be able to view my realm for free through the web app? (Emphasis mine.)

Plans may change, of course.

Last edited by Parody; January 24th, 2019 at 10:34 AM.
Parody is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old January 24th, 2019, 11:36 AM
THAT'S what I remembered! Thanks, Parody.

So (at least as of the time that FAQ was written) there was free access planned for players to view, as long as the GM has the cloud subscription.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old January 24th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Still no revenue stream through the web based app though. Only the GM's are going to get charged for cloud service kind of sucks. Maybe GM's should consider charging for access to their content to offset the cost of their cloud service then.
Viking2054 is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 24th, 2019, 12:55 PM
I doubt the cloud service sub will be very expensive. cloud storage costs have gone down dramatically in the years since RW launched. I have 4 separate free cloud storage account and none of them are less than 2 Gb, and one is 50. Even if LWD winds up charging some nominal fee per year for the their cloud storage for people with reasonable sized DB's, under 5 Gb for instance, I'm not going to get all worked up over it and I'm going to have a lot of trouble restraining eye rolls and sarcasm if others do.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old January 24th, 2019, 06:55 PM
That all depends on what they are going to charge for cloud service. If it's under $25 a year for that 5 GB of storage or more, then I wouldn't bitch either. But that is still a limited revenue stream for LWD. My experience is that most gaming groups have 1 or 2 GM's out of a group of 5 or 6 people. That's roughly 4.5 people out of 6 that LWD will never see a dime from with web access. Charging them as little as a Quarter a month ($3.00 a year) could significantly increase there revenue stream. Which could help with future development of the product and possibly content. Let's not forget that web only users most likely will not be buying anything from the content market either.
Viking2054 is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old January 24th, 2019, 09:47 PM
IIRC correctly, the web view will be quite limited but players who buy the player license will have access to all shared content. But I may be remembering it wrong and things may have changed since it was last discussed. Too lazy to dig up the Web view discussion thread where this was all discussed.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 24th, 2019, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
That all depends on what they are going to charge for cloud service. If it's under $25 a year for that 5 GB of storage or more, then I wouldn't bitch either. But that is still a limited revenue stream for LWD. My experience is that most gaming groups have 1 or 2 GM's out of a group of 5 or 6 people. That's roughly 4.5 people out of 6 that LWD will never see a dime from with web access. Charging them as little as a Quarter a month ($3.00 a year) could significantly increase there revenue stream. Which could help with future development of the product and possibly content. Let's not forget that web only users most likely will not be buying anything from the content market either.
There's always been issues with all of the RW continuing business model. That's why they piled all the eggs in the CM basket.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Kodi1124

Old January 25th, 2019, 09:21 AM
I pay a dollar a month for 50GB for Cloud storage. I would be fine with that paid yearly.
Kodi1124 is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 25th, 2019, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi1124 View Post
I pay a dollar a month for 50GB for Cloud storage. I would be fine with that paid yearly.
Do you pay the same for web hosting? That is the more direct comparison with the web interface to realm works.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old January 25th, 2019, 10:58 PM
Throwing all their eggs into the baskets of 'Content Market' and 'Cloud Subscriptions' for 1.5 out of 6 potential users is severely limited in my opinion. I don't remember which tycoon of America's early industrial age said it, but they said something along the lines of "I'd rather have one dollar on a continuing business from millions of users then a million dollars from a single user." Don't bother me if the quote isn't quite accurate. Point is that they could be making some money from all potential users even if it isn't much on a monthly basis. They could even offer a discount if you pay for 6 months or a year at a time.

Also, just my opinion, but they'd have to severely limit free web access to the point of being near useless to overcome the "Free" part.
Viking2054 is offline   #40 Reply With Quote