Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ChipmunkPDX

Old February 12th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Due to my love for Hero Lap, I decided to buy Realm Works because I was going to GM for the first time (Rise of the Runelords). But because of the delay from Real Works...where they kept releasing dates with what seems some confidence only to never follow through, I kept pushing of the start date of our new game. I am glad I held off asking the players to buy a copy, because I am going to jump ship. Its sad that the company of my favorite software has been responsible for such a failure in promises and communication. So, I understand things can get behind, but you shouldn't give dates if you are that far behind schedule. If your customer's can't trust you, how long do you expect to keep them?

Anyone else jump ship, and if so what have you gone to? I just bought Scabard.com to try it out, but open to suggestions. (I know they don't provide a Content market either, but they don't keep promising to give you one... and would rather use something where I know what I am getting instead of a bunch of empty promises.)
ChipmunkPDX is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
B57123m

Old February 12th, 2017, 10:43 AM
You have made it this far and the Content Market is the closest to being within your grasp, and now you jump ship? Seems kind of brash when in even a month's time you could have what you are looking for. Things take time and delays happen. LWD has been up front with that since they stopped giving specific dates.

You are free to do whatever you please but you will most likely shop around and struggle to find what you are looking for only to realize that Realm Works is out and works just as you want.
B57123m is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 12th, 2017, 12:13 PM
You are going to run a decade old AP that will likely take more than a year but a months delay has put you off RW?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 12th, 2017, 12:23 PM
The Content Market is so close I couldn't imagine jumping ship now. In this situation to get angry would be simply inhumane. They provided a date that they were confident to hit and then the primary developer ended up in hospital with an unexpected issue. He's still in recovery and yet throughout that whole process he was logged on for ridiculous hours coding to ensure he could deliver on the promises as soon as possible.

Sorry mate I will not personally hold that against LWD. It's a small company who could not have possible just powered on without Rob.

If you must go then that is your choice. I have personally tried Scabard.com and it has next to nothing on Realm Works. The only feature superior to RW IMO is the circle relationship view that they have. It works well but only provides a high level summary of the things you click meaning you have to put more work in to read the actual content than the same feature in RW does.

As a BETA tester I have seen the content. I can tell you that it is amazing. I know exactly what we are all about to get and it is going to save some serious time for alot of us. By the time you get your first few sections entered into Scabard we will be downloading it in mere moments.

I've tried all the campaign managers I can find. Realm Works is the most mature product with the most robust list of features.

Good luck out there. Look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old February 12th, 2017, 01:01 PM
It seems you have bought Realm Works already right? So just remember to come back when the Content Market is out and then (re)evaluate.

I haven't seen it and for me the content market is not the primary selling point of the product, but since it is a major point for you, there is not much to loose by checking in from time to time.

I also think that LWD is doing well most of the time with the communications and it seems that they are also willing to deviate a little from their plans and listen to the customers. Of course sometimes you still have to pick the "unpopular" choice, due to other reasons.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 12th, 2017, 03:50 PM
This is the wrong time to give up. Exactly the wrong time. I gave up (temporarily) a long time ago, and just bided my time ... until now. Now we have the import/export ability, and my export script that allows you to export to HTML format or Word format.

You can export only revealed content, and you can export each topic as an individual file. This means that if you have your own website somewhere, or your own wiki, or an obsidian portal account, you can export and publish your revealed content on a website for your players.

It's a couple of extra steps, but it's there. And the content market is coming.

Expectations have not been managed well, I'll grant you that. Heck, even Rob will grant you that. But now ... now is not the time to jump ship. Now is the time to get on board. The import/export feature alone provides a host of possibilities that we didn't have before.
EightBitz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old February 12th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Hey, a lot bigger software companies than LWD have grossly missed release targets before. In fact those that make targets most often just redefine what was supposed to be in the release anyway.

If you insist in leaving, look at the Keep from NBOS software. It is a HUGE step down, though, and there is no content market.

It is kind of difficult to imagine that you are leaving because LWD didn't meet their target dates and are willing to explore alternatives that will likely NEVER have what you are looking for, but, hey, whatever....
Bidmaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old February 12th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Hey, a lot bigger software companies than LWD have grossly missed release targets before. In fact those that make targets most often just redefine what was supposed to be in the release anyway.

If you insist in leaving, look at the Keep from NBOS software. It is a HUGE step down, though, and there is no content market.

It is kind of difficult to imagine that you are leaving because LWD didn't meet their target dates and are willing to explore alternatives that will likely NEVER have what you are looking for, but, hey, whatever....
And that's because Rob really is passionate about his work, as evidenced by his working from his sick bed, against his doctor's orders, I'm sure. (Get some rest, Rob!)

Aside from a professional database, I have honestly never seen a product as well-featured and as flexible as Realm Works.

You can ask anyone here how much of a critic I was about how deadlines were always missed before its initial release. But once it was, and once I saw it ... WOW.

My only hold out after that was printing. Still, I did use it to run RotL. We never got all the way through it, because life happens (not because of any shortcomings of RW), but it helped me keep track of things, and if we ever go back, I know right where we left off ... and I can recap for the party ... because of Realm Works.
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old February 12th, 2017, 10:46 PM
I checked out the various "competitors" from time to time (Obsidian Portal, City of Brass, the various VTTs, The Keep, etc.), but nothing come close to RW as a campaign management tool. You are obviously frustrated, but after you cool down and waste your time with other tools, I expect you'll be back.

1. Giving up on software that you have a perpetual license for to a yearly service that not only doesn't give you what you were missing in RW, but has fewer features than RW is illogical. Seems like an emotional knee-jerk reaction. What does Scarab.com give that makes it worth it to give up on our $50 software for a $30 per year service?

2. You still won't have RotRL in Scarrab. Are you planning to enter it into Scabbard? Why would it be better in Scabbard than in RW?

3. You say you love HeroLabs. Are you giving up on HL as well as RW? Otherwise, why give up the excellent integration between HL and RW?

You are making a bad decision for yourself in a fit of frustration. You'll either be back or you'll commit to your poor decision "out of principle."

If Scabard.com is a better decision for you, I'd be interested in knowing why. I'm not seeing it.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old February 12th, 2017, 11:41 PM
I love HeroLab and I love RealmWorks. With both programms I can manage my gamesystem, characters and realm. I made a german version of my gamesystem in Herolab, I made german categories for my world in RealWorks. For me, both works fine. I tried other programms, but they were not so flexible, as I need it. I have to say, at the moment I need no content market, or any adventure path (but I think in future I will use it). But I organized my realm in the way I need it. Printing and a custum calendar would be nice, but I know, it has not the #1 priority and so I can waint.
I had some problems in converting my game system and I must say, the support is very great! Now everything works fine. For me RealmWorks is the correct solution.
tkarn is offline   #10 Reply With Quote