Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old January 2nd, 2019, 08:59 AM
These index out of bounds errors seem very odd. They're not happening after an import operation correct? It just doesn't seem like this sort of thing should be happening outside of bulk processing operations.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 2nd, 2019, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
These index out of bounds errors seem very odd. They're not happening after an import operation correct? It just doesn't seem like this sort of thing should be happening outside of bulk processing operations.
The error was tied to new logic used for sorting names. The "natural" sort logic splits up names into pieces that treat numbers as numbers for comparison so that "abc34" appears before "abc123". That's a simple example, and the logic handles lots of very complicated situations, including the use of commas and periods (e.g. "10,000,000bc" is treated as "10000000bc" for comparison).

There were some edge cases in the logic that crapped out when dealing with situations that were clearly typos in the names assigned to topics. That's why it only impacted three realms out of everyone. Those needed to be fixed so that the realms could load.
rob is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 3rd, 2019, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBitz View Post
Right now, on the machine where you have the latest copy of your realm:
1. Backup the database.
2. Do a full export of your realm.
3. Import the realm into a new realm to make sure it's a good export.

Worst case scenario:
1. You now have a backup-realm in case anything happens.
2. You have the export to fall back on if anything else goes wrong.

Still open the case with LWD and seek their help, but do these other things as well. Backup, backup, backup!
Was a good idea, but alas, it was not to be. I was able to index, do the content fix up, and export and import into a "testie" Telon realm (created just to do the import). All went perfect..until...

Interestingly I decided to try and convert the (both old and new) Telon realm from other to pathfinder (was no such animal when I began Telon). It failed on both the old and newly imported realm. I submitted a report back in 2017 with regard to this and was told it was identified and would be fixed in an upcoming update.

I tried to sync the newly imported "testie" Telon realm and it failed just the like the old version. I compacted my realm and it fell by almost 400mb in size, but alas, it is still borked and I am still unable to sync even a new version or the old version of it.

So it isn't related to the discarding and re sync action. Troubleshooting is 99% finding out what isn't the issue. I also know it isn't related to the conversion fails, as that have been around for over a year. Nor is it due to content issues, and it exports and imports fine. Index also completes, as does compacting. Every other realm, and I have more then a few, sync with out issue.

I suspect I will have to submit my Master Realm for analysis to see what nasty worm has invaded my Telon unbeknownst to King Horus Targonor Furth!

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
McGray

Old January 10th, 2019, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The error was tied to new logic used for sorting names. The "natural" sort logic splits up names into pieces that treat numbers as numbers for comparison so that "abc34" appears before "abc123". That's a simple example, and the logic handles lots of very complicated situations, including the use of commas and periods (e.g. "10,000,000bc" is treated as "10000000bc" for comparison).

There were some edge cases in the logic that crapped out when dealing with situations that were clearly typos in the names assigned to topics. That's why it only impacted three realms out of everyone. Those needed to be fixed so that the realms could load.
Does that mean I can now saely upgrade from 245 version to the latest one without destroying my realm? Would be quite some work to copy everything to word and then re-paste into the most recent RW version.
McGray is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 10th, 2019, 08:29 PM
@McGray: If you were affected by this issue, I'd say yes. I was one of the edge cases and all is working perfectly after upgrading. Make a backup just in case for peace of mind but you won't need it.
AEIOU is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
McGray

Old January 13th, 2019, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
@McGray: If you were affected by this issue, I'd say yes. I was one of the edge cases and all is working perfectly after upgrading. Make a backup just in case for peace of mind but you won't need it.
Thanks for the reply. Tried it and now everything works as intended! Yay!
McGray is offline   #56 Reply With Quote