Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Quelthezar

Old January 6th, 2016, 08:47 PM
Hi all,

I just got Hero Lab this evening and it is amazing! Hopefully this is the right place to post this problem:

One of the first things I did was get the community set and I found the Custom - Wild Shape Adjustments source (which is great) but I was hoping to find a way to only show the shapes that the character can currently use. I have been playing with the editor trying to figure out how to add a Druid level requirement to the adjustment, and while I'm sure it is going to be a very simple fix I just can't find the right method.

I saw in the original posted Wild Shape list the author broke the shapes down by level, so why would he not include it as a prerequisite? Has Hero Lab been updated since then, adding the option?

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to use this in an actual game session!
Quelthezar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 12th, 2016, 04:29 AM
That's something I could probably add for the next release. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Probably should have a pre-req for the Wild Shape class ability, too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Quelthezar

Old January 13th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
That's something I could probably add for the next release. Shouldn't be too much of a problem. Probably should have a pre-req for the Wild Shape class ability, too. Thanks for the suggestion.
I was actually wondering how to do it myself, if it isn't too complicated. I wouldn't even mind doing all of the adjustments (or even expanding the list) and saving you the trouble. I'm just not sure how it would work.
Quelthezar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 13th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelthezar View Post
I was actually wondering how to do it myself, if it isn't too complicated. I wouldn't even mind doing all of the adjustments (or even expanding the list) and saving you the trouble. I'm just not sure how it would work.
You're welcome to take a look at it, but I am not the original author so I would need to investigate it before being certain about how to proceed. Right now, my focus is elsewhere, though. I'll try to get to it in the next week or two and will let you know what I come up with if you haven't figured it out by then already.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old January 14th, 2016, 09:29 AM
I've tried a few implementations of Druid Wild Shape, and with Change Shape/Alternate Form in general. I've had some success, but there are quite a few things that just don't work unfortunately. I think to get any of the shapechanging stuff to work properly, it might behoove the community to ask if it could be added to the core program.

I'd be willing to do that work myself for free! Might even be able to wrap that up into some kind of Design Pattern.

Last edited by Kendall-DM; January 14th, 2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Oops, didn't mean to hijack the thread!
Kendall-DM is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 14th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
I've tried a few implementations of Druid Wild Shape, and with Change Shape/Alternate Form in general. I've had some success, but there are quite a few things that just don't work unfortunately. I think to get any of the shapechanging stuff to work properly, it might behoove the community to ask if it could be added to the core program.

I'd be willing to do that work myself for free! Might even be able to wrap that up into some kind of Design Pattern.
We actually have some adjustments in the community set already. The OP is asking that they have a pre-req that pops an error if the Druid isn't high enough level for them. I took a (very) brief look at this yesterday. It might be kind of tricky due to the fact that it's possible to gain wild shape through other means besides just being a Druid.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old January 14th, 2016, 08:33 PM
I understood that, I was just spouting off. Thus my edit note that says how I hijacked the subject of the thread.
Kendall-DM is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Quelthezar

Old January 20th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
You're welcome to take a look at it, but I am not the original author so I would need to investigate it before being certain about how to proceed. Right now, my focus is elsewhere, though. I'll try to get to it in the next week or two and will let you know what I come up with if you haven't figured it out by then already.
I don't know if you've already started work, but my first thought about how to solve the problem (and what I was hoping somebody would chime in with) was that there would be a Thing that represents levels in an individual class. I've tried looking myself through the list of Things but I couldn't find anything like that. I realize it gets more complicated when you add in different ways of getting wild shape, but for my purposes of running a straight druid just having that class level prerequisite would be enough. But I can't find that Thing!
Quelthezar is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old January 20th, 2016, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelthezar View Post
I don't know if you've already started work, but my first thought about how to solve the problem (and what I was hoping somebody would chime in with) was that there would be a Thing that represents levels in an individual class. I've tried looking myself through the list of Things but I couldn't find anything like that. I realize it gets more complicated when you add in different ways of getting wild shape, but for my purposes of running a straight druid just having that class level prerequisite would be enough. But I can't find that Thing!
A class level pre-req is easy enough to do:

Code:
#levelcount[Druid] >= X
For your purposes, this would be sufficient. However, I don't think I would be able to use that for the community set, because it doesn't account for gaining the ability through other means, such as prestige classes.
Sendric is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Quelthezar

Old January 20th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Thank you Sendric! I was hoping someone would have a quick hack while people who actually know what they are doing work on it.

Are you still planning on looking at the adjustments? I don't know much about the editor yet, but I really would be happy to help if there is any grunt work that needs doing.
Quelthezar is offline   #10 Reply With Quote