Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

shaggai
Volunteer Data File Author

Old April 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Just wondering if the description text of an option can be changed from within a script like its name can (e.g., option[this].name = "This name instead")?

Last edited by shaggai; April 26th, 2010 at 06:46 PM.
shaggai is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 11th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately we don't currently support this. What sort of situation would you be looking at using this capability in?
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
shaggai

Old May 11th, 2010, 02:40 PM
There is a unit (Furioso Dreadnought) in the recent Blood Angels file for the AB40K5 system. Rather than do somthing typical with remainders and exclusions, I wanted to try to do something different.

The unit has a close combat weapon which has a built-in secondary weapon. Rather than have a chained type option or a mirrored option, I just chose to name the weapon and have the built-in part of the weapon added to the unit footnotes, but not as an actual user choice.

The problem was that there is another option which could change the close combat weapon into a different type of weapon. While it was easy for the name change to occur, the option would still have the original text description which no longer matched the new choice. The idea would have the description change on the option based on the text.

I was able to rework this into a different verison which is in the files which works, but not as I originally would have wanted it. Whether that's a good thing or not...

But while I may have your attention on this front for a moment, is there a possibility the the edit link (when you're adding an option to a unit) can be expanded to have more of the choices that are present with an option when it is being created (such as "is equipment" and showstate)?
shaggai is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Sorry for losing track of this thread... We can probably let the description be changed, although we'll probably require that the name be changed at the same time - otherwise you might end up with multiple different options with the same name appearing in the option footnotes. I'll put this on the list for AB3.3.

Adding the "is equipment" flag to the link should be possible. And would you also need to change the equipment name / equipment model count fields on the option?

What do you want added for changing the show state? You can already force an option to be visible or not with the "Start Visible?" flag on a link; do you need more options there?

Let me know exactly what you need, so I can add it to the list appropriately.
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
shaggai

Old May 17th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
Sorry for losing track of this thread... We can probably let the description be changed, although we'll probably require that the name be changed at the same time - otherwise you might end up with multiple different options with the same name appearing in the option footnotes. I'll put this on the list for AB3.3.

Adding the "is equipment" flag to the link should be possible. And would you also need to change the equipment name / equipment model count fields on the option?

What do you want added for changing the show state? You can already force an option to be visible or not with the "Start Visible?" flag on a link; do you need more options there?

Let me know exactly what you need, so I can add it to the list appropriately.
I'm going to have to try to remember the exact reason why - I think it might have been that there may have been times that I would have liked to have an option "never" show if it was selected by a specific model (absolutley no acknowelegment that the option is there - no footnote, no text, nothing) and any other model would have the option shown as normal so it would have. I think it might have been tied into the above with the blood talons/ blood fists...
shaggai is offline   #5 Reply With Quote