Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Andrew

Old October 5th, 2020, 01:49 PM
I only use it rarely and this is probably the first time I have used the full features. The final epic battle of the campaign was largey wrecked by this badly implemented and useless feature.
I go through each characters action in turn and then like an idiot I click on the next turn button expecting it to go back to the begginning of the initiative order as it works in this game.
But no the somewhat annoyingly useless software instead rerolls everyones initiative with 20 combatants this made remembering the order of action slightly difficult and a piece of paper would have been much superior.

Writing this without expletives had been difficult. Hero Labs is normally excellent however this one feature is so badly implemented that it has come close to wrecking a two year campaign I cannot begin to express my displeasure at how angry this failure to implement the basics of the rules has made me.

edit and after going back to check It happens every time I press for a new round. It looks like the funcitonality for New Combat has attached itself to New Round as well.

Last edited by Andrew; October 5th, 2020 at 02:06 PM. Reason: further information
Andrew is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 5th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Before I switched to a VTT (Foundry), I used HLC for years and heavily used the tactical counsel. I've never had this issue. My only complaint with the TC is that it doesn't track effect durations.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2020, 02:44 PM
There is an optional rule you can turn on from the Settings menu in the Tactical Console that switches it from the default (roll initiatives once at the beginning of combat) to a house rule (roll new initiatives every round). It's Settings...Roll Initiative Every Round, but I just tested without that setting turned on, and my combatants maintained their initiatives when I went to the next round, so if you weren't using the Roll Initiative Every Round setting, we'd appreciate more information on how to reproduce this issue, so that we can determine if there's a bug that shows up in a rare set of conditions.

Last edited by Mathias; October 5th, 2020 at 02:47 PM.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old October 5th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I only use it rarely and this is probably the first time I have used the full features. The final epic battle of the campaign was largey wrecked by this badly implemented and useless feature.
I go through each characters action in turn and then like an idiot I click on the next turn button expecting it to go back to the begginning of the initiative order as it works in this game.
But no the somewhat annoyingly useless software instead rerolls everyones initiative with 20 combatants this made remembering the order of action slightly difficult and a piece of paper would have been much superior.

Writing this without expletives had been difficult. Hero Labs is normally excellent however this one feature is so badly implemented that it has come close to wrecking a two year campaign I cannot begin to express my displeasure at how angry this failure to implement the basics of the rules has made me.

edit and after going back to check It happens every time I press for a new round. It looks like the funcitonality for New Combat has attached itself to New Round as well.
That's odd. You might want to check your settings. I have been using Tactical Console for *months* to exclusively run combats for my group, as the implementation in Roll20 is so difficult to use.

Given I recreated all my player's PC's in Hero Lab, and I build all the encounters in it, the stats are already all available.

Initiative rolls are consistent from one round to another. They are not rerolling every round.

As with MNBlockHead's post, my only complaint about Tactical Console is that it doesn't track duration of conditions etc.
Aril is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old October 5th, 2020, 05:19 PM
That would be due to your settings. There is a setting for rolling every round
Attached Images
File Type: png TC.PNG (47.2 KB, 7 views)
Minous is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Andrew

Old October 6th, 2020, 01:01 AM
It was indeed due to a setting . However as until now I was not aware that the setting existed, I am still unhappy that the default setting is for an optional rule
Andrew is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 6th, 2020, 07:24 AM
No, the default is to have that option turned off.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old October 6th, 2020, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
It was indeed due to a setting . However as until now I was not aware that the setting existed, I am still unhappy that the default setting is for an optional rule
You probably accidentally clicked in on at some point, I have been using the tactical console for years with no issues whatsoever.
Toblakai is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old October 8th, 2020, 07:01 PM
I played with the Tactical Console but didn't really like it.
At the time, I believe I used a free program called Combat Manager, which could read HL portfolios.
I had been using Combat Manager, since we had switched from 3.5 (DM Genie) to Pathfinder.

We moved onto d20Pro at some point, and used that for quite a while.

At the moment, I'm using Foundry VTT for a lot of stuff.
And then have two HL portfolios open, one with all the characters in it, and the other with whatever their current opposition/monster etc is.

I like that there is the Tactical Console, but didn't like it as much as Combat Manager, which we were using at the time.
Ualaa is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old October 9th, 2020, 10:54 AM
I use the Tactical Console all the time - though it does have a few shortcomings it does everything I really need it to do, and I can't remember how I managed combats without it.

That said, it did take me a little while to figure out all the ins and outs.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #10 Reply With Quote