Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

mazzy

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
It's getting installed as soon as I get home. Just need to maintain some self-control with this one haha.
What is this "self-control" you speak of?!?!
mazzy is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
This looks like a bottomless pit of opportunity and cost. Very dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
DAZ is actually a great tool and comes with plenty of free resources to get started with, if you want to keep costs low. Of course, you could make an initial investment in a model or two and just rehash them for your different npc's. Really depends on how much time you want to put into it

EDIT: I forgot to mention, they have quite a bit of free items in their shop and they are constantly offering some pretty awesome deals.
Daplunk is correct... haha it "could be a cash pit... so restraint is needed... Cause Mazzy is correct too... there are always sales to keep cost low and other sites that make decent add-ons as well.
http://www.most-digital-creations.com/freestuff.htm

I tend to have an idea of what I want the NPC (and players certainly have their ideas) of what the "look" they are going for....

the biggest "Cost" is TIME..... getting the initial wireframes setup fpr PCs and NPCs (where more detail is desired) takes time.. but once done, you then only tweak the views, or the costumes...

Here is a hurried Collage... Some are just DAZ out of the can, others are mine, some are a good friend of mine from another forum (Canonfire) that goes by Dungeonmeister (I'm a rookie compared to his work check it out on link below) and even one isnt DAZ (the B/W one)but a program called Fotosketcher.
Fotosketcher is archaic by DAZ standards but still makes nice sketch type pictures (and it helps to have a few art/camerabuff friends)I just use Gimp to mod parts of pictures we like and cut n paste then turn to a sketch...

http://dungeonmeister.deviantart.com/
https://www.fosshub.com/FotoSketcher.html
https://photofunia.com/effects/sketch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collage.jpg (170.2 KB, 107 views)

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old March 6th, 2017, 08:27 AM
You've got a great collection of work DLG! Thanks for sharing, I love seeing how creative this group is

I just looked up your friends profile, good stuff! I especially love the Dullstrand piece because of that fantastic fro on the guy pointing and the energy of the image itself

My group plays via a VTT since they all live in different states, except my husband, of course. :P So I tend to use a lot of audio and visuals to add to the experience when I have the time to prep for it, lol. The group really appreciates it though so it does encourage me to make the time. I use a mix of different types of media depending on what the situation calls for to keep it from getting stagnant.

For example, I'll uses rough sketches for things they might have just gotten a glimpse of or that might be beyond a certain distance. 3D landscape photos are great for capturing the atmospheric mood, a collage of shapes, colors, concepts comes in handy to encourage them towards something, and of course drawings and illustrations for characters of importance. Mix in some mood music and a few key sound effects for good fun, makes 'em a happy group If we actually played live, I'd probably even mess with lighting and smells, I really want them to be in the moment, lol!
mazzy is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 6th, 2017, 01:38 PM
Well, one thing I wanted to point out is for those artistically-challenged folks looking for high quality tileable wilderness maps. There is a kickstarter here, called Meanders 2 that I have pledged in (I missed Meanders 1, but I can catch up now, and I did support his numinomicon coin factory). He has structured it with a wide variety of entry levels, and with a very modest level, you VIP treatment, meaning you can add on map sets at the same price as the kickstarter at ANY POINT downstream.

That was an important point for me, because, as a fantasy gamer, I calculated that I needed 35 add-ons above and beyond the core material in order to sate my map desires.

Anyway, having done his numinomicon, I can attest to the quality of his material, and I think it's worth a look.

Oh, one of the cool things about it is that you get component-level graphics that you can use to make original maps of your own beyond the tileable ones in his sets! And you can do commercial work with those if you want (there are a few limits on what you can do with the tileables, so if that is your interest, best to study up on what you can do for commercial use).
Bidmaron is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 6th, 2017, 01:51 PM
If you want maps I seriously recommend checking out Campaign Cartographer 3+. The learning curve isn't as big as people say it is. Check my sig for some how to videos. The results are truly amazing and you can sell what you make.

Example's of maps I made with about 1 month playing in the program.

http://imgur.com/a/hhcIO

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 6th, 2017, 05:00 PM
Hey, daplunk, I am right there with you, buddy. I love that program, and I agree it isn't as hard as many pretend.

But I still like those Meander2 maps!
Bidmaron is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 7th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I already use Photoshop at work. CC3 is too much like it to make me want to use it for recreational purposes.

I've used Daz a little, in my job again, but I'm more experienced with Poser. Is there really that much a difference?

On another subject sort of, is anyone using 3d terrain? I have an old friend who has invested quite heavily into Dwarven Forge but the cost of that is quite off putting. Another option I've been looking at is 3d printed terrain, there are a couple of companies selling sets of terrain quite similar to Dwarven Forge but I'm hoping to find someone who has tried this out before I buy a printed and dive in.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 7th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Oh yes i use 3d terrain

Random Pics / The Tomb of Horrors / Pirate Ship

If you are interested in 3d terrain Read this.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old March 7th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I have backed two kickstarters for some 3d models:

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/?page_id=2567

They look nice, unfortunately I don't have the time to paint them all so I mostly just use them unpainted and try to buy the right color to print with.

daplunk... where do you find the time for all this, Tomb of Horrors looks fantastic.
Toblakai is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 7th, 2017, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
I have backed two kickstarters for some 3d models:

http://www.fatdragongames.com/fdgfiles/?page_id=2567

They look nice, unfortunately I don't have the time to paint them all so I mostly just use them unpainted and try to buy the right color to print with.
That's one of the companies I was looking at. Have you found the quality of the models to be acceptable? Painting is something I can deal with. But I've seen some 3d printed stuff that looked pretty terrible and some that looked great.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote