Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Farling

Old February 19th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
How I wish this would work...
Hero Lab should have some form of cloud support that is linked to the DM's game. When a player creates a character they can choose to connect that character to a game and that character then stores on the cloud.

Any changes to the character sync back to the cloud and the character sheet can be added within RW allowing the DM to come along and see an up to date version of the player sheet.

When the Web Portal is implemented it should have options for both Hero Lab and Realm Works. The players should be able to view and make limited (I doubt web can handle full functionality?) changes to the sheet. Any changes made here sync back to the cloud.
DropBox, OneDrive, or many other cloud services already provide the capability to share files. You could mandate that all players keep their portfolios in a shared cloud folder.

This would then reduce the requirement down to HeroLab supporting having characters from multiple files displayed in a "single portfolio" view, and monitor for changes to files so that it can prompt the user to ask if they want to reload the updated character's portfolio.

I don't see the need to store player's character HL portfolios inside RW.
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old February 19th, 2017, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
This would then reduce the requirement down to HeroLab supporting having characters from multiple files displayed in a "single portfolio" view, and monitor for changes to files so that it can prompt the user to ask if they want to reload the updated character's portfolio.

I don't see the need to store player's character HL portfolios inside RW.
  1. At the start of the session, import the characters from the shared drive copy to the GM's "the party" copy (replace existing if necessary). All PCs are now in one portfolio.
  2. Launching encounters from Realm Works automatically merges them into the running copy for combat.
  3. After the session (or as otherwise desired), export the GM's "master" copy of each PC to the shared drive, one by one, over-writing any existing file. Alternatively, export as a separate "draft" file so the player can call out discrepancies. When resolved, only one file per PC should remain on the shared drive.
  4. If desired, delete the local copy from the GM's "the party" set (keeping any NPCs needed).

Aside from that, remember that per-character reveal is "coming". To do that, it means that Realm Works needs to be aware not just of the Players, but the Player Characters, internally. That also at least implies that PCs will be somehow distinguishable from "Individual" Topics. Like many other initiatives, this has been pushed to the back-burner while the Content Market dominates the available working time. Once the Content Market is out, Rob has indicated that there will be another survey .. so something to keep in mind when assessing your priorities for that.

Last edited by Silveras; February 19th, 2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added per-character reveal comments.
Silveras is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old February 20th, 2017, 02:33 AM
Yeah, dropbox works very well. I have a PC file which the Players are required to update 24 hours before the start of a session. I have actually become strict to the point that if they don't update they have to run the version I have of them, this truly inspires my players to ensure that they have uploaded the night before
talsharien is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 20th, 2017, 02:35 AM
That's a good idea actually. Might solve my issues in the short-term.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
How I wish this would work...
Hero Lab should have some form of cloud support that is linked to the DM's game. When a player creates a character they can choose to connect that character to a game and that character then stores on the cloud.

Any changes to the character sync back to the cloud and the character sheet can be added within RW allowing the DM to come along and see an up to date version of the player sheet.

When the Web Portal is implemented it should have options for both Hero Lab and Realm Works. The players should be able to view and make limited (I doubt web can handle full functionality?) changes to the sheet. Any changes made here sync back to the cloud.

At the start of a session the DM can add the Heroes from the cloud / RW into a HL session. This creates a link that can be set to both read and write. At the table, the players use the web version above. Any changes they make flow back to the DM's seat.

Implement a log system so the DM can see changes as they are made by the players. This enables verification that players are updating as they should.

Include an option to award X amount of XP to all players and have the Journals all update.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW27kyh7PVM

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #15 Reply With Quote