Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000

Notices

Kloud13

Old October 13th, 2013, 02:19 PM
WHOA!!!!

Guys! Armybuilder is by far the best thing that has ever happened to Warhammer players.

Yes, it is frustrating waiting for the latest update, because making list with pen and paper sucks.

But, you guys need to seriously cut back, and remove anything that is not appreciation for the guys who do write these files. If not, then you guys might find yourselves writing the files yourself.

Now what is appropriate, is to ask if anybody is working on the Space Marine update, and how is it going so far? Is there something in the new book that is difficult putting into the armybuilder program?

Keep up the good work.
Kloud13 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
mabbs

Old October 14th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Its good that we have the right to complain as well as compliment. For myself it comes down to this. I am paying much more for this program which isn't getting updated for minimal extras when I know of at least two other programs for a fraction of the price that have been updated for weeks. Somewhere there is a breakdown in many areas. Simply stating that if this continues I will not be paying for their product again isn't saying much nor, at this point, is AB the best program around; although it could be again with updates.
mabbs is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
usmc961

Old October 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Agreed with Kloud13

What kind of arrogant jerk thinks that because he paid a one time fee that he should get near instantaneous updates? I've been a subscriber for 2 years (and have another 2 already paid for) and yet I'm not complaining because the two armies I use (Space Marines and Wood elves) are infinitely easier to list build with while using army builder.

Do I eagerly anticipate an update? Yes, but let's face it... the space marine codex just changed the entire spectrum. We now have to have an option to specify parent chapter, we can now ally within our own codex, each chapter has special rules, there are new characters, new warlord traits, and then the cost adjustment virtually across the board. In addition to which I'm sure they are trying to figure out ways to incorporate forgeworld models, make sure that special characters are only available with the chapter they are from, etc...

This isn't easy on a spreadsheet (I've tried) for one codex. Try cross-referencing that with other codex's while also allowing for future supplements to alter everything again!

AB thanks for the hard work, would like an update if possible but understand it may take a bit to get it out and done right.
usmc961 is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
TiguriusMarius

Old October 14th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Whether I agree or not about how sooner or later the edition gets updated, AB will always be crucial in my WH40K for the rest of my days unless something better comes along. Also, the new anniversary edition that the team put out is for us who already paid for the license won't need to purchase it anymore - aka lifetime subscriptions. So, probably this discussion is kinda mute.

Back to the topic about the release. We know that this will take 30+ days for the release, but maybe have a developers blog to show updates which gives the community who support their endeavors a hint to where they are in the process. Periodic updates would be appreciated, but I understand all this work is done for free - and realize that regular updates can never be hoped for. Be at least - hey we started work or something help gives the community information to chew on vs. being left in the dark. He's to positive thinking...
TiguriusMarius is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
mabbs

Old October 15th, 2013, 12:15 AM
That "Jerk" would be me. Im glad your ass kissing opinion is so much greater then mine. Fan Boy..
mabbs is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
usmc961

Old October 15th, 2013, 04:40 AM
I suppose that some of us aren't born with a silver spoon in our mouth and appreciate what volunteers do, not to mention the pittance that we actually pay for this program. There are other options out there, go deliver your rant to someone else instead of being a whiny little girl on here.
usmc961 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Kikasstou

Old October 15th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spack View Post
You pay a license for the software, not the files. You are free to create the files yourself using the included ABCreator software.
That's the point. I paid Army builder 40$. This software is nearly perfect and i'm very happy with this purchase. But updates are created by volunteers (it can be myself). Unless i have not well understand something, paying the licence allow us only the right to install new updates... updates that are not created by developpers. I could understand that we cannot have update of the products itself (new version / new fonctionnalities / new interface etc... like for antivirus each years). But why must we pay to use something created by anyone?

In fact, when I bought the software. I thought license cost was here to pay developpers for updates. If developpers takes some time to make new data files it's normal to pay a licence to have last versions of them. But I don't understand to pay only for the right to use data files created by someone else.
Kikasstou is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 15th, 2013, 08:11 AM
One of the sticked threads addresses some of the issues that are being raised here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=7998 so I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention.
Mathias is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
The Emperor

Old October 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiguriusMarius View Post
Back to the topic about the release. We know that this will take 30+ days for the release, but maybe have a developers blog to show updates which gives the community who support their endeavors a hint to where they are in the process. Periodic updates would be appreciated, but I understand all this work is done for free - and realize that regular updates can never be hoped for. Be at least - hey we started work or something help gives the community information to chew on vs. being left in the dark. He's to positive thinking...
Yeah, it'd be great if there were some general ETA on when it could be released. I was eyeballing the calendar for a solid month after the release of Codex: Space Marines until an update was possible, and ever since I'm periodically opening Army Builder hoping to see an update appear, but sadly no luck. It'd just be nice to know if there's any progress on that, or if it's even being worked on. Clicking the program open several times a day and hoping to see that update but finding nothing is getting a tad depressing.
The Emperor is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 15th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Please remember that the team of volunteers who build the 40K files coordinate their work at www.ab40k.org Any announcements will be posted there earlier than they'll be posted on this forum.
Mathias is offline   #20 Reply With Quote