Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000

Notices

Closed Thread

zindras

Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM
The 40k scene is teaming with new Grey Knight players, and veterans who would love a fancy list builder. I purchased Army Builder simply for a Grey Knight list and had hoped to see this released today.

Can you give us a teaser regarding the release date? Being that Army Builder is not free, and has exclusivity to Games Workshop IP, i think the fellas being paid to maintain this software should be a tad more diligent releasing files on the exact expected date. One month is a lot of time, and the french data file was completed weeks ago.

Regards

P.S. the other grey knight thread in this forum has over 1400 views. I doubt i'm the only person that feels this way.

Last edited by zindras; May 2nd, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
zindras is offline   #1
DthShdw

Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
I would point out that the 40k data files are not maintained by Lone Wolf Development. The people who maintain those data files do so on their own time, and without compensation for their hard work.
DthShdw is offline   #2
zindras

Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
Which is complete crap since we have to pay license fees for Lone Wolf's software. These guys should be paid, or in-house. If people stopped volunteering to write the data files, the software would be worth absolutely nothing to the gaming community.
zindras is offline   #3
Mr_Rose

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zindras View Post
If people stopped volunteering to write the data files, the software would be worth absolutely nothing to the gaming community.
So why do you persist in trying to piss off the volunteers who make the software useful to you?

Click here to get 2.25GB of DropBox cloud storage free!

I've always wondered about the first person that saw a lobster and said, "You know what? I'm going to eat that."
Mr_Rose is offline   #4
fyrebyrd
Volunteer Data File Author

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
@ Mr. Rose - The people just don't understand, they never will.

@ zindras -Thank you for posting how you feel. Please let me express my feeling on this subject as well.
Quote:
Which is complete crap since we have to pay license fees for Lone Wolf's software. These guys should be paid, or in-house. If people stopped volunteering to write the data files, the software would be worth absolutely nothing to the gaming community.
Exactly, the program would have no worth, but I kinda like the convenience of generating and tinkering with my army lists. So, to me the program does have value. It's a great medium to build a datafile and build my army. If no one would to volunteer to create the file then Army Builder would be useless. However that will never happen, because we have something that drives us to do it for free, its called passion.

Cool, Great, You pay the software license fees too, just like us all! You are encouraged to do what we do then too. Build Datafiles! With your paid license you do get the authoring program and even some lessons to use it. The other option is not pay the fees, which just means you will have to write your lists by hand or use another program that will have similar limits to what you get here.

It gets tiring to keep explaining the same things over and over again. The other thread had gotten over 1500 hits currently, If you can read that THREAD over real good, you will find the wisdom on what and why things are the way they are(HINT: the two other threads I linked to).
I get no thrill in quoting myself but here is the answer on when the files will be ready.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebyrd View Post
...the file will be introduced on or after May 2nd.
(which means soon )

Lastly,
Thank you to those who are willing and patient, each every time something like this pops up. The same names are there every time...

Fyrebyrd
AB40k Beta Tester

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
fyrebyrd is offline   #5
zindras

Old May 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
Allow me to clarify and partially apologize. The stab was directed at Lone Wolf for not supporting you datafile developers and promoting a strict "paid" timeline.
zindras is offline   #6
fyrebyrd

Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
No worries! I don't take anything personally.

Fyrebyrd
AB40k Beta Tester

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
fyrebyrd is offline   #7
Spack

Old May 4th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Allow me to clarify and partially apologize. The stab was directed at Lone Wolf for not supporting you datafile developers and promoting a strict "paid" timeline.
If they did pay us then they would be be out of business very quickly due to GW legal coming down on them like a ton of bricks for IP infringement.

You pay a license for the AB software only - it does not entitle you, nor anyone else, to files for any game system. It's a tool for using files other people have created, or you can create your own. Files are available for a huge number of game systems, only a few of which are from GW. GW make no money out of LW, nor do any of the data file authors due to legal issues. You know, you could just write your own software and create your own files for each codex if you really feel that strongly

Also there is no "exclusive" for Army Builder and GW related files - if there was, why was Battlescribe hit with a GW IP infringement notification a couple of weeks ago?

And just to finish off, the GK release is out: http://www.ab40k.org/filebase.php?d=...&what=c&page=1 Please read the notes, as this release has made major changes to the structure of the Space Marines files too and it's recommend to not overwrite the existing AB40k5 folder for the time being.

Dan
AB40k Site Admin
http://www.ab40k.org - home of the AB40k maintainers

Last edited by Spack; May 4th, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
Spack is offline   #8
Tribalbob

Old May 5th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Spack - appreciate your work.

One question: How do I set a Weapon to be master crafted on a standard Grey Knight? For example: I selected Daemonhammer, but I can't find a master crafted option.
Tribalbob is offline   #9
Mr_Rose

Old May 5th, 2011, 04:26 PM
You won't; standard Grey Knights don't have that option in the codex.

Click here to get 2.25GB of DropBox cloud storage free!

I've always wondered about the first person that saw a lobster and said, "You know what? I'm going to eat that."
Mr_Rose is offline   #10
Closed Thread