Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Spence

Old December 5th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I have never been able to figure out how to enter Pre-Req's. I have read the user files for the various files, but they are never laid out like the actual program.

If I want to add a Prereq for an edge I do so using the Pre-Req button that opens the prereq window (jpg prereq 01). The Hero Lab Kit when adding Edges (pg444) says that each pre-req should be entered separately. But the example (see jpg prereq 02) show multiple pre-reqs as a single script.

The example

<thing
id="edgSweep"
name="Sweep"
compset="Edge"
isunique="yes"
description="Description goes here">
<fieldval field="edgMinRank" value="0"/>
<tag group="EdgeType" tag="Combat"/>
<exprreq message="Strength d8 required."><![CDATA[
#trait[attrStr] >= 4
]]></exprreq>
<exprreq message="Fighting d8 required."><![CDATA[
#traitfound[skFighting] >= 4
]]></exprreq>
</thing>

Contains multiple pre-reqs.

I assume that

<exprreq message="Fighting d8 required."><![CDATA[#traitfound[skFighting] >= 4 ]]></exprreq>

Is the part that sets the requirement to have a Fighting Skill of d8 or better.

I also assume that the portion <exprreq message="Fighting d8 required."> is created when Fighting d8 required
is entered in the block titled 'Message'.

That leads me to believe that <![CDATA[#traitfound[skFighting] >= 4 ]]> is the part of the expression that will be entered into the block labeled 'Pre-Requisite Script' and that the number '4' equals or is greater than d8.

At first I assumed that d4 = 1, d6 = 2, d8 = 3, d10 = 4 and d12 = 5 but then how could the example use '4' to indicate a Fighting Skill of d8 or better.

So my question is, if I wanted to enter a pre-req requirement of 'Smarts d8+' exactly what would I enter into the HL pre-requisite pop up fields? (see jpg prereq 03)

If I have one good working example shown as it is actually used I can usually figure the rest out.

I attached 3 images.

I understand I can be dense sometimes, but I am creating a SW users file for Thrilling Tales and have entered all the new Hindrances and Edges, but cannot get the pre-reqs to function correctly and apparently I can't seem to understand the manual/tutorial
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prereq 01.jpg (76.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg prereq 02.jpg (158.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Prereq 03.jpg (347.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Spence; December 5th, 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Spence is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 5th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Expr-reqs are actually a subset of pre-reqs. Since most prereqs are a yes-no question or a comparison, you could either enter this:

Code:

if (#traitfound[skFighting] >= 4) then
@valid = 1
endif
As a prereq, or this:

Code:

As an Expr-req, and you'll get the same result. It saves typing to enter it as an Expr-req.

I suggest you use the "New (Copy)" button on the bottom left hand corner of the editor to see how some of the existing edges handle their prereqs/exprreqs. I'm not familiar with Savage Worlds, but looking through a few, I find the Thief edge, with an exprreq of:

Agility d8 required.
#trait[attrAgi] >= 4

From reading through the Savage Worlds file creation walkthrough in the wiki, I know that their trait values * 2 = the die size, so 2 = d4, 3 = d6, 4 = d8, etc.

For future reference, there's a specific forum for questions relating to the Savage Worlds files.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old December 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Expr-reqs are actually a subset of pre-reqs. Since most prereqs are a yes-no question or a comparison, you could either enter this:

Code:

if (#traitfound[skFighting] >= 4) then
@valid = 1
endif
As a prereq, or this:

Code:

As an Expr-req, and you'll get the same result. It saves typing to enter it as an Expr-req.
Thanks,

That helps a lot

Quote:
I suggest you use the "New (Copy)" button on the bottom left hand corner of the editor to see how some of the existing edges handle their prereqs/exprreqs.
Copy, check...

I can tell it's been a long day

Quote:
From reading through the Savage Worlds file creation walkthrough in the wiki, I know that their trait values * 2 = the die size, so 2 = d4, 3 = d6, 4 = d8, etc.
Face --- Palm ---- you get the picture

Quote:
For future reference, there's a specific forum for questions relating to the Savage Worlds files.
Can't seem to win here

I knew that, but was thinking of this as a HL question instead of a SW one...
Spence is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old December 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM
All done with Edges.

Your advice was dead one.

Thank you very much
Spence is offline   #4 Reply With Quote