Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Nightfox

Old April 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM
So my gaming group tried 4th ed and didn't like it. But as the DM, I loved some of the concepts, especially Minions. Therefore I'm working on a Minion Template.
Step 1: Reduce the HP to 1. A simple post-attribute script and done.

Step 2: Evasion and Mettle. And with a quick bootstrap and special, we're done.

Step 3: Bonuses. In many places where minions are most appropriate, the party are maxed out on bonuses and protections to the point where lower level monsters couldn't hit/hurt the party, and the weakest in the party would hit on a "2". Therefore, I like to give the minion's bonuses that can be applied to AC, Saves, Attack, Damage, or even DR. This is to make them still a threat, while 1hp means the fighter in the party can cut through them like paper.

Problem 1: In the past I've been adding a +1 per CR or HD of the "Minion", depending on if it is a monster or leveled character. I know how to find the total Hit Dice and the total Level, but is there a way to find the CR?

Problem 2: I like to change up the bonuses based on the encounter. Fighters tend to have Attack, Damage, while caster minions tend toward saves and DR. I know for regular classes, I can do a lot under the class tab, but it doesn't seem that templates have this. Currently I'm working on a way to give a bonus feat that will allow me to select the bonuses from a group of specials, but I keep thinking there has to be an easier way.

also, is there a page or thread somewhere with examples of eval scripts? It feels like I spend a couple hours trying to find an example of a script that has what I'm looking for, and 10 minutes to implement and test.
Nightfox is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old April 19th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
Problem 1: In the past I've been adding a +1 per CR or HD of the "Minion", depending on if it is a monster or leveled character. I know how to find the total Hit Dice and the total Level, but is there a way to find the CR?
The CR is usually kept on the creature pick, in the field rCR.

Quote:
Problem 2: I like to change up the bonuses based on the encounter. Fighters tend to have Attack, Damage, while caster minions tend toward saves and DR. I know for regular classes, I can do a lot under the class tab, but it doesn't seem that templates have this. Currently I'm working on a way to give a bonus feat that will allow me to select the bonuses from a group of specials, but I keep thinking there has to be an easier way.
You might have an easier time doing this under the Adjustments tab. Add a permanent adjustment to attack, AC or saves. Damage reduction is a bit tricker, but I suggest looking at the Greater Resiliency feat from the Community Files.

Quote:
also, is there a page or thread somewhere with examples of eval scripts? It feels like I spend a couple hours trying to find an example of a script that has what I'm looking for, and 10 minutes to implement and test.
There isn't, I usually do a search on the board for anything I might be looking for, and I can get some examples of scripts. You can also just post a problem here, and there are a few of us that would be willing to help with any scripting problems, or where to start in any case.
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old April 19th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I did a DR adjustment for the community files. It was released in the V1.7 set.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Nightfox

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Kendall, thank you for the CR tag. I'd spent quite a while working on a way to calculate it, and there it is all nice and neat. As for the adjustments, I'll keep that in mind. I already have my specials up and working, the real challenge is to limit me so I don't end up killing my players with enemy peons. ;-)

Bodrin, I didn't even think about adjustments until Kendall mentioned them, but I shamelessly stole code from your Greater Resiliency feat for the DR special. Thank you for sharing, it saved me a lot of time and head aches. :-)
Nightfox is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Bodrin, I didn't even think about adjustments until Kendall mentioned them, but I shamelessly stole code from your Greater Resiliency feat for the DR special. Thank you for sharing, it saved me a lot of time and head aches. :-)
You're welcome.

Dormio Forte Somnio

Community Created Resources :
Data Package Repositories :
d20pfsrd
Custom Character Sheets
Community Server Setup (Packs)

Hero Lab Help- Video Tutorials and Pathfinder FAQ

Created by the community for the community
bodrin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote