Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

EightBitz

Old March 23rd, 2019, 08:56 AM
First of all, congrats again. I have a few observations, comments, questions and suggestions. Not demanding anything or trying to rush anything, just pointing out some things and asking some things. I'll be posting three different topics so as not to muddle disparate things.

1. Content Sharing Between Realms
I recall an early discussion where it was said that eventually, content would be shareable between realms. Is this feature still on the docket, or has it been replaced by the import/export feature?

The import/export feature obviously has some limitations with secured content. If I just want, say 5 or 10 creatures from the Bestiary in my own campaign, my understanding is that I would have to import the entire bestiary and delete all the entries I don't want. That seems a bit cumbersome.

If the content sharing is still on the docket, great. If not, would it be reasonably possible to modify the import process to allow us to select which items we want to import?

Or, would it be reasonably possible to allow us to selectively export, as we do with an unsecured realm, but to an rwsecure file, so your protection is maintained?

2. Printing
With the inability to export anything, I can't even print a Hero Lab stat block from RW. I recall that a print feature was put on the feature list, but wasn't a priority. Same question as above. Was this replaced by the import/export feature, or is this still on the docket? If it was replaced by the import/export feature, that doesn't help with secured content.
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 23rd, 2019, 01:58 PM
I just did a partial export of the specific content I wanted from the Bestiary, then imported it to the realm in which I needed it. Worked like a charm.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 23rd, 2019, 02:16 PM
Well, I say I did. However, I didn't have time to actually check the topics to see if there was anything in them...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 23rd, 2019, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Well, I say I did. However, I didn't have time to actually check the topics to see if there was anything in them...
Yeah, when I do an export, the topics are there. But no content.
EightBitz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 23rd, 2019, 03:02 PM
Well, that's a pain. So currently, say I put together a one shot with 2 or 3 monsters from each of 3 of the Bestiaries, I've got to import all three of them in their entirety, then manually delete the 800 to 900 monsters I'm not using...

That can't be right.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 23rd, 2019, 03:11 PM
You can't export secured content. For obvious reasons.

Now what you can do is make modifications to secure content. This is awesome! Picture this use case:
  • The D&D 5e SRD contains all of the monsters but none of the monsters pictures, descriptions, etc. Every-time you import the content you are therefore lacking the pictures etc.
  • Import the SRD into a realm.
  • Adds pictures.
  • Add descriptions.
  • Export the content.
  • Now you have an import pack that can be imported over the top of any SRD installation and it will re-apply the changes. You only need to update the pack once with the changes you want.

This is very powerful given most providers in this situation would simply block you from modifying or sharing the content.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old March 23rd, 2019, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You can't export secured content. For obvious reasons.

Now what you can do is make modifications to secure content. This is awesome! Picture this use case:
  • The D&D 5e SRD contains all of the monsters but none of the monsters pictures, descriptions, etc. Every-time you import the content you are therefore lacking the pictures etc.
  • Import the SRD into a realm.
  • Adds pictures.
  • Add descriptions.
  • Export the content.
  • Now you have an import pack that can be imported over the top of any SRD installation and it will re-apply the changes. You only need to update the pack once with the changes you want.

This is very powerful given most providers in this situation would simply block you from modifying or sharing the content.
"This car has only has a 3 gallon gas tank."

"Yeah, but it has an awesome stereo system."

What you're saying may certainly be true, but it does nothing to address the issue at hand.
EightBitz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 23rd, 2019, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
You can't export secured content.
So the following is a true statement, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Well, that's a pain. So currently, say I put together a one shot with 2 or 3 monsters from each of 3 of the Bestiaries, I've got to import all three of them in their entirety, then manually delete the 800 to 900 monsters I'm not using...
That's a huge pain in my butt, and way more trouble than it's worth. It might actually be easier to just manually input the encounters I need - in which case I've wasted a lot of time waiting for the Content Market (and Bestiaries) to come out, and I likely won't be spending any more of my money on them. A shame, since that's what I primarily meant to buy.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 23rd, 2019, 04:37 PM
I dont understand this mentality at all.

It's way easier to have an import. You import the Monster Manual. And for most people I'd wager that's enough.

For the people who really only want a couple of monsters in their realm from that Monster Manual. You import the book. You create a new heading called "The monsters I want". You drag the ones you want into there and then right click delete the original Monster Manual container and delete the descendants.

It's a simple process. The idea of picking which parts of the import you want at time of import sounds tedious to be honest.

And I get that people are going to want to export secure content. But it's secure content for a reason. LWD can't just allow us to do what ever we want to do with it because it's legally not their decision to make.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old March 23rd, 2019, 04:56 PM
But choosing what entries from the Bestiaries I want for my adventures is exactly what I do now.

The method you describe sounds easy - and I guess maybe it is. But to me it just seems... I don't know. Inelegant?

Say I'm making a 'realm,' an adventure, that's maybe 6 or 7 encounters. How big will that be - 10 mb? 20? I don't really know. But say it's 100. So to make that 100 mb realm, I've got to first bloat it out to a gb (roughly, assuming I'm using stuff from 3 different monster books at about 300mb per), then go back and delete most of that gb worth of material. Not to mention the time it takes to import those three large files.

And either way I've got to sort through them to find the monsters I want, so it's really a wash whether I do that before or after the import.

I totally get that that have to secure the content! It's sad, but there's no question, no doubt, the general population can't be trusted not to pirate it if given the chance. But it seems like it should be possible to set the export process up so that the exported file carries the same security as the original. It may not be - I'm no coder for sure so I don't really know. But there should be a more elegant solution.

Don't get me wrong - I don't regret purchasing RW (even at the ridiculous backer level I chose). It's still the premiere campaign management tool. But using the Bestiaries this way is cumbersome/unwieldy/inelegant.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #10 Reply With Quote