Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

sleepydm

Old January 14th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Disclaimer, not sure if this belongs in 4e section, as I'm new to the program and am not sure what a data file is.

Anyway, I've just received the program and when I tried to create a character, the class section was in red and there was nothing in the drop down menu. All I got was a pop-up box saying that there was nothing to choose from. Why is this, and how can I fix it? Is a DDI subscription required before I can make use of the character creator? For the record, 4e was the first package I've picked when the program offered a freebie.
sleepydm is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 14th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Yes, a DDI subscription is required.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 14th, 2012, 10:53 PM
You need a D&DI account to get all the data. You have to use the D&DI downloader provided with the data package for 4e to get the data for hero lab through the D&DI site. I think there is a free version that gets some of the data, but you'd have to run the downloader to find out for sure. I have not run mine in a year now.

Also the downloader for 4e will take a while. 6+ hours in some cases. Please be patient while the data downloads once you have the insider account taken care of.
RavenX is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
sleepydm

Old January 15th, 2012, 04:48 AM
All right, thanks. I'd like to "demo" the free stuff, if it's out there. How do I access the D&DI downloader?
sleepydm is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
royalfa

Old January 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Find your 4e Data Folder (in document and settings. The folder is "hidden")
And there is a ddidownloader execute archive.
royalfa is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Wordpoet

Old February 9th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I've had a similar experience so far. I tried a few things to fix it including what I read in another post about installing directly to drive c:\ but with no luck.

I did notice though on my last attempt that the ddidownloader does not seem to work properly for me for some reason. I goes through the process of retrieving the information but then refuses to parse it all.

Is there any way to fix this and perhaps it is also what 'sleepydm' had issues with as well.
Wordpoet is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 9th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I've tried the downloader a couple of times this week, and it's worked for me so far. Try re-running it and see if you still get the same error?
Colen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote