Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

CreepingDeath

Old July 6th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Hello all!

This is my first post on the boards and my first attempt at playing Pathfinder. Reading about the system, it sounds like a nice change of pace from D&D [which I've played for many years]. I'm interested in playing a magic user this time, specifically the Summoner. I bought HL but didn't see Summoner in there. Then I downloaded the Ultimate Magic add on hoping it would be in there since Summoner is in the book. I would love to buy the right add on and stop wasting money, if possible!

Why am I having such a hard time doing what I hoped would be super easy?? Please forgive me for asking this if the answers is really obvious and I just totally blew it ...

Thank you very much!
CD

Last edited by CreepingDeath; July 6th, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
CreepingDeath is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 6th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Summoner is from the Advanced Player's Guide.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
CreepingDeath

Old July 6th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Thank you, Aaron, not 10 mins after I posted I just searched these boards and found the answer. I was googling all morning looking for an answer and couldn't find it! Anyway, thanks and wish me luck...

Just curious, but how do you [or anyone really] feel about this class? It's hit or miss depending on the post or the board. Some people think they're too much or too spammy. Other people think they're the coolest. Summoning monsters and eidolons sounds really fun but I don't want everyone to hate the character because it's too stacked either ....
CreepingDeath is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 8th, 2014, 10:56 AM
In my opinion, the Summoner is a cool concept and fairly balanced. Except the Synthesist archetype, which is also a cool concept but total Cheese.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
CreepingDeath

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Thanks Aaron, I think I'm going to do it. I have reservations again because I worry he's too good, but reading more about them, I think it's ok. I need to decide on whether to let him be a Master Summoner and sacrifice eidolon power but build up Summon Monster or really buff up the eidolon and sacrifice the SM.

Anyway, thanks for even writing back!
CreepingDeath is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Make sure you and your GM have discussed the "Hordes of Summoned Monsters" sidebar on pg. 79 of UM before choosing the Master Summoner archetype.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
Thanks Aaron, I think I'm going to do it. I have reservations again because I worry he's too good, but reading more about them, I think it's ok. I need to decide on whether to let him be a Master Summoner and sacrifice eidolon power but build up Summon Monster or really buff up the eidolon and sacrifice the SM.

Anyway, thanks for even writing back!
If your character does end up breaking the game, any DM worth his salt will talk with you about solutions to the problem. If the DM's still gaining experience he might react less maturely, but either way you'll have fun stories to tell. Good luck and have fun!
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
CreepingDeath

Old July 13th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Nice to read your responses! I have been keeping my GM close on this. This is actually our first venture into Pathfinder after years on D&D so I want to be fair and careful. I'm actually leaning toward Vanilla Summoner now to avoid having my own army. Something like that could be fun if I were playing alone I guess, but with three or four other characters .... I could see it being mostly annoying!
CreepingDeath is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dianae

Old July 15th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Having played in a campaign with a Master Summoner and a Vanilla Summoner (two separate players, same campaign) it was interesting to see how the two complemented each other, and how they worked in a party environment. Part of it was how each Summoner treated their Eidolons, and handled the Summon Monster Ability.

The Master Summoner kept his Eidolon dismissed most of the time and treated it more like cannon fodder, or dismissed it to enable summoning more monsters to help with flanking bonuses, or to attack opponents our melee fighters were having dificulties reaching.

The Vanilla Summoner utilized the life link to have a front line fighter with a "tankier" health pool, and supported the other melee character(s) in the group. When the VS's Eidolon died, she used her Summons as support for the team, going for aid another/flanking bonuses(Rogue or Ninja Sneak Attacks), Buff-casting Summons(Lantern Archon), or Combat Manuever assistance(trip enemy to give possible Attacks of Opportunity).

It's all in how the party's synergies can work together.
Dianae is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
CreepingDeath

Old July 15th, 2014, 08:12 PM
That's really interesting, Dianae, I appreciate the input! Did you find that when the MS would play that it slowed down the game? Did he or she share the characters with the other PCs?? That's my main concern ... Personally, I feel like either archetype will be fun since either way, we are looking at managing two or more characters ... which sounds pretty awesome
CreepingDeath is offline   #10 Reply With Quote