Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Forums > Army Builder

Notices

cookjg

Old January 1st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Upon starting army builder tonight I saw the new version of AB (3.3) and downloaded it. When given the option I told it to install. When the installer tired it refused saying I needed service pack 3 on XP to install AB3.3. While service pack 3 may be needed to install AB3.3, I am running Vista and Microsoft update says it is up to date. Can anyone suggest how to convice AB it is not on XP?
cookjg is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
FoxPhoenix135

Old January 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'm having issues of my own with the program, and I'm no computer whiz, but since nobody else has answered I'll dare a suggestion:

have you tried running it in a compatibility mode? Right click on the actual program in its installation directory, go to Properties, and try messing around with some of the compatibility modes.

Probably won't work, but worth a shot, right?
FoxPhoenix135 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 2nd, 2011, 07:56 PM
cookjg, the new Army Builder installer worked properly in our tests under Windows Vista. Please try re-downloading the installer from our web site at http://www.wolflair.com/army_builder and installing it directly from there, rather than from inside the product. Does that work?
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Styles

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I get the same problem as cookjg, I tried direct from the site as you suggested Colen but I get the same problem. It says you must install service pack 3 before installing army builder on window XP. I do not or have ever used window XP. Any ideas?
Styles is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 4th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Styles or cookjg, please do the following:

1) Right-click on the installer you downloaded, and choose "Properties". Go to the "Compatability" tab. Is the "Run this program in compatability mode" checkbox checked? If so, uncheck it, press OK, and try running it again.

2) If that doesn't work, press the start button, type "winver", and press return. A window should appear with text describing your windows version. Can you post a screenshot of it, or just transcribe the first three lines of text?

Thanks - this information should hopefully help me to track down what's going on here.
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
JenBurdoo

Old January 5th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hi, I've got this same problem and have already emailed your helpdesk.

I fooled around with compatibility, but when I change, the installer instead says it requires Win 5.0 or later, and I already have Win 5.1, so unchecked it as per instruction 1.

As per instruction 2, I typed "winver." Got the following:

Microsoft (R) Windows
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.100216-1441 : Service Pack 2)
Copyright (c) 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation
JenBurdoo is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for including the winver.exe details. It looks like you're using Windows XP SP2 - the latest service pack is SP3, which the new version of AB requires. Once you install the new service pack, you should be good to go.
Colen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
JenBurdoo

Old January 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
"Thanks for including the winver.exe details. It looks like you're using Windows XP SP2 - the latest service pack is SP3, which the new version of AB requires. Once you install the new service pack, you should be good to go. "

- First, what's version 5.1 then?

- Second, I can't install xp3. It knocks out my computer and I can't even retreat to a saved setting. I've tried three times and each time had to start up from scratch with most of my programs and all my internet settings gone.
JenBurdoo is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:12 PM
1) Windows XP is technically Windows 5.1 (2000 is 5.0, Vista is 6.0, and Windows 7 is confusingly version 6.1). So when you see "Windows 5.0 or later" it means Windows 2000 or later.

However, I don't think there should be anywhere we explicitly ask for version 5.1; the messages should always say "Windows XP" or "Windows 2000" by name. Where are you seeing the number 5.1 mentioned?

2) Fair enough. We'll have a work-around in our next version of AB for this; you'll need to manually install some additional components to make everything work, but otherwise you should be able to install it.
Colen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
JenBurdoo

Old January 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post
1) Windows XP is technically Windows 5.1 (2000 is 5.0, Vista is 6.0, and Windows 7 is confusingly version 6.1). So when you see "Windows 5.0 or later" it means Windows 2000 or later.
Ah, thanks for the explanation. So I guess I do have XP, which means I should demand help from MS tech support (fingers crossed).

Quote:
However, I don't think there should be anywhere we explicitly ask for version 5.1; the messages should always say "Windows XP" or "Windows 2000" by name. Where are you seeing the number 5.1 mentioned?
Lone Wolf doesn't mention it; I just assumed that was what I had since it's listed in the Winver, and thought that might be the problem. I see now that it also says XP, though.

Quote:
2) Fair enough. We'll have a work-around in our next version of AB for this; you'll need to manually install some additional components to make everything work, but otherwise you should be able to install it.
Sounds OK. When is this likely to be out - six months, a year?
JenBurdoo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote