Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 20th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I am sorry is this whole concept really not bizarre? I mean how is your players going to get to this document on your PC from the web? Or from their player version?

This to me is the same on my job site where people want to create a document in word and then "upload" it to our tech wiki. The purpose of the tech wiki is not a FILE server. Its a wiki which has its own internal database of articles and linkage.

RW is exactly the same concept in my mind. Put the information into RW so that it can link to it and be used "anywhere". Then it will also work on your players PC or tablet (with the coming of the web version of RW). Or any PC you sync the data too and it won't be locked to a single location.

RW is suppose to be a complete data base of your world. The second you begin linking to your computer PDF documents you have sort of destroyed that concept.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 20th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
If RW would support Relative Paths (I would not know) it might be easier to link to other files on multiple machines
Virtual drives and cloud storing would be the solution for that.

But relative paths as an option (and not globally) would be a boon.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 20th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I am sorry is this whole concept really not bizarre? I mean how is your players going to get to this document on your PC from the web? Or from their player version?
I have tons of things that are not for the players' eyes.

Such as character sheets for NPCs.

This would make it easy to update, modify and use those files.

I for one could really use that and for me it would expand on the usefulness of RW.

Of course, this should be optional - no-one should be forced to use it.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old June 21st, 2015, 08:32 AM
Adding a feature that the majority of non-computer-savvy users in the community could easily get themselves into trouble with because a handful of sophisticated users would find it convenient doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Silveras is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 21st, 2015, 08:47 AM
What would perhaps help with this situation is to allow an external snippet to be editted using an external program. This is already allowed for HeroLab portfolios, but for other external snippet types the only options are View and Delete.

This would allow the information to be stored inside RW, but allow you to use your favourite external editor (the same program configured in Windows for viewing).
Farling is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 21st, 2015, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Adding a feature that the majority of non-computer-savvy users in the community could easily get themselves into trouble with because a handful of sophisticated users would find it convenient doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Well, that is one way to see it - but if we stay true to that, then there would probably be other features in RW that should be removed.

And I don't think, that we should let the features of RW be decided by the lowest common denominator among the users.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Vargr is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old June 21st, 2015, 01:31 PM
Quote:

This to me is the same on my job site where people want to create a document in word and then "upload" it to our tech wiki. The purpose of the tech wiki is not a FILE server. Its a wiki which has its own internal database of articles and linkage.
I am the primary user of my data, and my paths are the same (I keep a lot of documents in Dropbox) no matter what machine I use it on.

I also like to do things like keep things PDFs of the players character sheets in the topic about their character, so I can print it out any time the character needs it. I just go to their character's topic, click the link and print the PDF.

I can choose to embed the PDF or just embed a link to it to keep my realm size small. Either way it's just fine for my use.

Not every topic is going to be player accessible.

Don't fall into thinking that there is one right way to use RW, or that your way is the only way.
MaxSupernova is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 21st, 2015, 01:58 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; June 21st, 2015 at 02:20 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Bobifle

Old June 21st, 2015, 02:22 PM
Quote:
If you've already used a "GM direction" snippet then you've already used this whole bizarre concept of having something you cannot reveal to players.

And the deal is quite simple:
Those who don't want to link external documents, do not.
Those who want, do.

Last edited by Bobifle; June 21st, 2015 at 02:25 PM.
Bobifle is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 21st, 2015, 02:34 PM
Xxxxxx

Hero Lab Resources:

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; June 21st, 2015 at 03:05 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote