Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
mazzy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 96

Old November 20th, 2016, 10:15 AM
For those of you who are currently using Realmworks during your campaigns, do you have a section for pre-session notes and if so, how do you have it set up? I know there is a User Note function but it doesn't seem to allow me to configure it with certain fields/layout so wanted to see what others have come up with or if I'm totally missing something.

Thanks daplunk, kbs666, and everyone else who's allowing us into their way of doing things, it's very much appreciated!!
mazzy is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
kbs666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,579

Old November 20th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Session notes are one of things I still keep separately. The RW user note is primitive to say the least. Hopefully once the big push for the content market is past that will be one of the things that gets addressed.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
Vargr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Denmark
Posts: 740

Old November 20th, 2016, 01:13 PM
I just write my session notes in a word processor.

Simple and it is all I need. Basically I just need to know how far they got and what happened of special things which I have to take into account when planning the next steps.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion


Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old November 20th, 2016, 01:46 PM
The plan is for a complete overhaul of how game sessions are managed. Basically, we would utilize a topic for tracking session notes (pre and post), with a fully customizable category definition underlying it. Then GMs would be able to tailor the structure to their preferences, the notes would be inherently revealable to players, and full linking would be provided.

This is something very high on MY want list. I'm not sure where it fits into the priorities of other users, though.
rob is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
kbs666
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,579

Old November 20th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The plan is for a complete overhaul of how game sessions are managed. Basically, we would utilize a topic for tracking session notes (pre and post), with a fully customizable category definition underlying it. Then GMs would be able to tailor the structure to their preferences, the notes would be inherently revealable to players, and full linking would be provided.

This is something very high on MY want list. I'm not sure where it fits into the priorities of other users, though.
Do you intend for that to be strictly a GM note or a player note as well? My players would like to keep an ongoing diary/journal that links into the realm through the player edition.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old November 20th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Do you intend for that to be strictly a GM note or a player note as well? My players would like to keep an ongoing diary/journal that links into the realm through the player edition.
Journals are a separate animal entirely, since they introduce a completely different set of complications wherein player-created material gets woven in with GM-created material at some level. However, the plan is for them to behave in a relatively similar manner, except that the GM would be in control of the category structure utilizes by journals created by his players. Obviously, we'd provide everyone with a framework that will hopefully offer a solid starting point and can be customized.
rob is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
Silveras
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,499

Old November 20th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The plan is for a complete overhaul of how game sessions are managed. Basically, we would utilize a topic for tracking session notes (pre and post), with a fully customizable category definition underlying it. Then GMs would be able to tailor the structure to their preferences, the notes would be inherently revealable to players, and full linking would be provided.

This is something very high on MY want list. I'm not sure where it fits into the priorities of other users, though.
This sounds pretty close to the approach I took for my Rise of the Runelords PBeM campaign. It wasn't a "Session Log", per se, as the game was Play-by-Post.

I created a custom topic named "Campaign Log" for this. As the campaign progressed, I logged each "day" in it (or a span of days if appropriate). The contents are:
  • In-game Date/time for the start and end of the timespan recorded
  • Weather on the date (if one day)
  • For each encounter: Where (Location name), When (date-time), Who (participants), and What (notes about the results) -- This is a place where repeatable Sections would he a big help.

The name of each Topic is generally "Day X", maybe a brief description ("Day 1 - Arrival in Sandpoint") to make it easier to place things as it is listed in the Navigation pane.
Silveras is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
mazzy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 96

Old November 20th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks kbs666 and Vargr, guess I'll continue using OneNote for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
The plan is for a complete overhaul of how game sessions are managed. Basically, we would utilize a topic for tracking session notes (pre and post), with a fully customizable category definition underlying it. Then GMs would be able to tailor the structure to their preferences, the notes would be inherently revealable to players, and full linking would be provided.

This is something very high on MY want list. I'm not sure where it fits into the priorities of other users, though.
That would be fantastic, I'm trying to consolidate ALLLLL the tools I utilize before/during/after game sessions and if RW can take that on I'd be a super happy chica! And if GM/DM's can customize it all the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Journals are a separate animal entirely, since they introduce a completely different set of complications wherein player-created material gets woven in with GM-created material at some level. However, the plan is for them to behave in a relatively similar manner, except that the GM would be in control of the category structure utilizes by journals created by his players. Obviously, we'd provide everyone with a framework that will hopefully offer a solid starting point and can be customized.
Player journals are definitely something I'd like to see implemented as that's something I like to encourage my players to do. I'm not saying this is a high priority, simply stating it'd be nice to have

Hopefully when the GM Notes gets an overhaul it will include a calendar function (I know it's a sore subject - not trying to stir the pot), as I find myself REALLY wishing RW had that function. Either way though, this is a fantastic tool and it's great that you fine folks at LW are continually tweaking and improving it, thanks!
mazzy is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
mazzy
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 96

Old November 20th, 2016, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
This sounds pretty close to the approach I took for my Rise of the Runelords PBeM campaign. It wasn't a "Session Log", per se, as the game was Play-by-Post.

I created a custom topic named "Campaign Log" for this. As the campaign progressed, I logged each "day" in it (or a span of days if appropriate). The contents are:
  • In-game Date/time for the start and end of the timespan recorded
  • Weather on the date (if one day)
  • For each encounter: Where (Location name), When (date-time), Who (participants), and What (notes about the results) -- This is a place where repeatable Sections would he a big help.

The name of each Topic is generally "Day X", maybe a brief description ("Day 1 - Arrival in Sandpoint") to make it easier to place things as it is listed in the Navigation pane.
Ooooo, I like that idea! I'll have to try that out to see if it'll work for my purposes. Would it be too much to ask for a snapshot of your campaign log setup? I'm still new to RW and visuals are definitely better for me, but if not I totally understand
mazzy is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
rob
Senior Member
Lone Wolf Staff
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 8,003

Old November 20th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
Hopefully when the GM Notes gets an overhaul it will include a calendar function (I know it's a sore subject - not trying to stir the pot), as I find myself REALLY wishing RW had that function. Either way though, this is a fantastic tool and it's great that you fine folks at LW are continually tweaking and improving it, thanks!
The existing "Session" mechanism has the calendar mechanism integrated. It would absolutely be incorporated into anything we do in the future. The caveat here is that it's distinct from the calendar mechanism, so it could be updated before we finish the calendar overhaul. Or calendars could be done first. The two work together, but they are independent of each other.
rob is offline   #110 Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
wolflair.com copyright ©1998-2016 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. View our Privacy Policy here.