Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Rone

Old August 8th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
That's a mixed and bad example. You should be thinking more about Yelp! or maybe the BBB (better busines bureau) or bad amazon reviews. The only negative reviews that should be deleted are the ones that are obviously faked or sourced from a competitor. Otherwise, the product owner should reply and ask what the problem is and ask for the customer to improve their score or review.

That's called simple public relations and customer service.

Ignoring the customer and deleting negative feedback is just a horrible and unethical way to do business. BJ, Rone and others try to provide feedback when these threads get heated enough, so I'm not accusing LW of being unethical, just giving an example of what I consider to be unethical. BJ took down the "CM Coming in 2016" snipped on the product page based on feedback at one point, which points that we can have a civil dialogue and help both the customer be happy and help LW do better.

My personal opinion is that they could do better with providing updates. I didn't see many updates about anything that happened at GenCon other than some booth info on facebook, I would have liked to see any stories even if it was only to say that one of the LW folks in attendance had a great time at a PF2 playtest or finding a new pub in downtown Indy.
That's a solid and appreciated criticism and suggestion, dungeonguru.

Addressing that last part, please allow me to share some personal memories of our trip to Gen Con:

This was my first Gen Con as LWD staff and I can tell you that I had no idea how much work would be involved. Morning to evening, often late evening. I was working the booth, attending important meetings and shooting panels with the really nice camera LWD bought for me to use. On some days, I couldn't find time to eat anything but a single protein bar in the morning because of all the bases I was covering. But offering you all more regular updates even about small things would have been a great thing to do. After maintaining that kind of hard driving schedule for days, I realize that for me to give you folks more regular updates, it actually has to be something I preplan and record in my schedule. Otherwise, the "less busy time" I wait for is likely to never materialize.

The booth was mostly smooth running and the camaraderie among staff inspiring. Customers new and existing who visited us were quite positive.

Someone came by to tell us that a few years ago when she lost her other and wanted to keep his HL account running in his honor and so we switched it over to her name. It meant so much to her and continues to. Don't make us tear up at the booth, lady! :`)

The team did get to dine together and I learned so much about all of them, including what shows or games they most like. That was cool.

Booth set-up on Wednesday... I was the only person to get cut and bled a bit. I was a prevailing wage contractor who built schools, firehouses, police stations, hospitals and the like... so a little blood flowing in the morning is how you know your day has started. But LWD ran for the first aid in seconds. I'm surprised they didn't medivac chopper me out of the exhibition hall. DON'T YOU QUIT ON ME, RONE! DON'T YOU QUIT!

Many lessons learned. Next time. I'll make sure you have better updates. Force myself to eat when they give me food breaks throughout the day (I did not avail myself of them). And bring a pair of running shoes, not just these comfy Skechers which are good for standing. Because there were a few times when I was running quarter miles across indy with big heavy equipment brimming boxes on my shoulder. Running across concrete in Skechers for extended periods of time is like wearing cinderblocks tied to your soles with rope.

One con downtime highlight? Trouncing and taunting some of the biggest names (I won't name 'em) in the industry at card games 'tween 1-2 am... games I'd never played before that put heavy win-reliance on being able to call a bluff. I think I missed my calling.
Rone is offline   #521 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 8th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Rone, why don't you guys get some of your fans to volunteer at your booth at GenCon? Many companies do this to reduce the load on their own staff. There are plenty of folks who are very knowledgeable about HLC, HLO and RW, probably even Army Builder.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #522 Reply With Quote
Rone

Old August 8th, 2018, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Rone, why don't you guys get some of your fans to volunteer at your booth at GenCon? Many companies do this to reduce the load on their own staff. There are plenty of folks who are very knowledgeable about HLC, HLO and RW, probably even Army Builder.
We were graced with the help of fan volunteers, kbs666. The booth wasn't understaffed; rather, It was me who was scattered and chasing the rabbit around the track. My job involves wearing more than one hat, and I'm afraid I had a few juggling fails as I'm not used to such task gymnastics. But as goes the tired platitude, practice makes perfect! (Except in all of the many cases where people died tragically during practice).

I'll get the knack.
Rone is offline   #523 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 8th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asandir View Post
Sigh, now November perhaps?
What year? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnlange View Post
While I was not a backer at the time, I fell in love with the program at Gen-Con a few years back. Finally pulled the trigger and purchased it. I have not regretted it. I understand the frustration alot of people here have and I truly hope it will get resolved.
I am a backer and I still love the program, I just wish more would get done. I am not a fan of HLO simply because I don't want to be tied to the internet in order to play. Despite being a fan I do wonder if HL and RW fell to the bottom of priorities with the release of HLO. It seems to me that the great concept of RW is risking someone with a bigger and better idea zipping past them while waiting on Paizo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
As long as I don't have to stand all day or run (can't do either) then sign me up. I don't even need a room since I live in Indy.
ruhar is offline   #524 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old August 8th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Count me in as one of the frustrated and one of the fans. Most of my frustration is directed at Paizo. My feelings may not be fair to Paizo and the issues may just be due to the harsh business reality that they are not going to prioritize one third-party software developer's issues.

Unlike many on these boards, I really *want* the content market. RW is great for homebrew campaigns and even if the company went under, so long as the software continues to run and I have the executables backed up, and can continue to use it for the purpose for years to come. But I just don't have time recently and have taken to running purchased adventures. Realm Works provides a GREAT format for this, but there just isn't any content.

I don't play Pathfinder. Don't have much interest. But RealmWorks success seems inextricably tied to the system. That Paizo put into place technical requirements forcing third-party developers to connect with Paizo's market and then lets technical issues keep partners strung along for months--seems like a bad partner. But they can be a bad partner because they have the upper hand in the relationship.

I feel for LWD because it is damned if you do and damned if you don't. But it is my impression of Paizo that has most soured.

When I began using Realm Works in 2014 it was WoTC that annoyed me. But now I have so many excellent tools and services to consume 5e content with. Because I mostly play 5e I have increasingly felt less and less of a need to fire up RealmWorks. The VTT platforms and D&D Beyond do not provide the same experience and convenience but they get developing.

At the rate things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if D&D Beyond greatly improves cross-linking and comes out with combat pad before LWD & Paizo work out the issues with getting the Content Market working with Paizo's content.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #525 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old August 8th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Count me in as one of the frustrated and one of the fans. Most of my frustration is directed at Paizo. My feelings may not be fair to Paizo and the issues may just be due to the harsh business reality that they are not going to prioritize one third-party software developer's issues.

Unlike many on these boards, I really *want* the content market. RW is great for homebrew campaigns and even if the company went under, so long as the software continues to run and I have the executables backed up, and can continue to use it for the purpose for years to come. But I just don't have time recently and have taken to running purchased adventures. Realm Works provides a GREAT format for this, but there just isn't any content.
Yep, this. I will say that if it is Paizo's lack of focus on the RW interface fix, and if they do have some sort of contractual lock on the order of release of the Content Market, the only stand-up thing to do would be to release that lock and let LWD go on about their business.

I plan to use the CM, and to use it for Pathfinder. I have no plans to shift to PF2. I've spent way too much of my time and money over the years on system after system, and promised myself when PF first came out that it would be the last (purely fantasy) system I'd be buying.

So now, besides the worry that the CM just won't happen, my biggest worry is that during the 5 years I've been waiting for it to come out, Paizo has moved on to PF2 and now there won't be much in the way of PF1 stuff for me to buy...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #526 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old August 8th, 2018, 11:44 AM
The problem imho is, what if LWD wants to cooperate with another publisher and sell some of their stuff? It's important to be a bit ssystem independent. It would have been better to just launch that thing w/o paizo and connect them to it, when they are ready.

Remember valve launching steam with only 1 game in the backpack?
(and man this was horrible to download , connect and play)

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #527 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 8th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
The problem imho is, what if LWD wants to cooperate with another publisher and sell some of their stuff? It's important to be a bit ssystem independent. It would have been better to just launch that thing w/o paizo and connect them to it, when they are ready.

Remember valve launching steam with only 1 game in the backpack?
(and man this was horrible to download , connect and play)
Agreed... to put all the "eggs into one basket" as they say, leaves you little options and long waits...
THe CM could have been opened with community shared elements even... w/o Paizo....

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #528 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old August 8th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Rone for throwing us some bones, here. It would be really wonderful if that were to continue without us making a lot of noise. A little comms goes a long way, even if it is "Hey, we haven't forgotten about you guys, but we are still in a holding pattern with Paizo."
Bidmaron is offline   #529 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 8th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
Thanks, Rone for throwing us some bones, here. It would be really wonderful if that were to continue without us making a lot of noise. A little comms goes a long way, even if it is "Hey, we haven't forgotten about you guys, but we are still in a holding pattern with Paizo."
An actual statement explaining why they're waiting for Paizo would go a long way as well. A lot of us would be much more content if we knew they had a contractual obligation.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #530 Reply With Quote