Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

skaven

Old June 13th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Call to arms for all coders!

I am hitting a big, ADAMANTINE, brick wall in coding the aptitude focus(es) of this class.

I have thought of possible solutions, but i need more informations:

- Adjustments: Can they modify a tab? May i use Adjustment to change the spells to memorize, or to change the attack bonuses, ecc.?

- Multiple Tabs for a class: Do they Work? May i Disable a Tab, but keep it up and "turn it on" with a switch?

If someone can give me a little explanation of what can be or cannot be done with these two gimmick, i could implement a more feasible prestige class data file... else, it would be 90% text only, to my dismay..

Last edited by skaven; June 13th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
skaven is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 14th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I don't know any way of adding a new custom tab to HL. I've tried it myself, to no avail. I also don't think you can disable a tab, but I've never tried it myself. These are things that are created at the time the game system is put together with the skeleton files. Outside of building your game system from scratch (which you can do), I'm not sure it can be done.

There are adjustments to change how many spells can be memorized, but no adjustments that allow you to change between sets of spells you have memorized (say, if you had one for urban and one for wilderness). At least that is what I understand you are asking. You can change your attack bonuses with adjustments too, but again, I think you are asking about changing between attack bonuses on disparate elements. Depending on what you are trying to do, changing attack bonuses may be doable, but I'm not entirely clear what your intent is.
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
skaven

Old June 18th, 2012, 04:03 AM
To be clear:

The Chameleon Prestige Class from Race of Destiny has a wonderful ability:

Aptitude Focus.

Aptitude Focus let the player choose every day (and with the later class levels, two times per day) a particular "focus" (again, with the later class levels, two focus at a time).

These focus are summarized as such:

The "Easier" ones:

Combat Focus:
You gain proficiency with all martial weapons and a +2 competence bonus to attack rolls, weapon damage rolls and fortitude saves (at 5th level the bonus is +4)

Stealth Focus:
You gain Trapfinding, uncanny dodge and a +2 competence bonus on Disable device, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search Checks and Reflex Saves (at 5th level, +4)

Wild Focus:
You gain Wild Empathy as a druid of your class level, Woodland stride, a +2 competence bonus on Climb, Handle Animal, Jump, Knowledge (nature), Survival Checks, and Fortitude Saves (at 5th level, +4).

These i think can be made as "Adjustments". And however, they're not important in generating the character or printing the sheet.

These are the "Harder" ones:

Arcane Focus:
You gain the ability to prepare and cast arcane spells, which may be chosen from the spell list of any arcane classes. You prepare and cast spells as a wizard, including the use of a spellbook.

Your Spells per day are fixed on a table plus bonus spells for high int.

Divine Focus:
As for the Arcane Focus, but on the divine side and with bonus for high Wis.

The problem is: i could set this class as a divine spellcaster (simulating the divine focus), but i cannot access the arcane magic (especially the spellbook) at all, and viceversa.

The least of the two evil (and the solution i will implement at first) will be set this class as an arcane spellcaster (and so having the spellbook), and leaving the divine side as a text-ability.

I don't know if Adjustment can change this much (Divine class, char bonus, ecc.), but again, this would not help me at all with the character sheet.... what should i print? In my Chameleon Character, i have a page with my spellbook spells, and some pages with the memorizable cleric spells.

I don't know if there is a solution at this problem...
skaven is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old June 18th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I don't know about the spellbook, but you should be able to set the spellcasting at least in an eval script. If you have the community files, look at the "Knight of the Sword" prestige class, one of the two versions has scripts that set a certain spell slot progression. It was a lot of pain to script, but I remember it working, so that may provide you a starting point.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote