Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 9th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I don't have the source material available to me, so I can't check the book's text and I don't know if this is a Lone Wolf or fan-based editing glitch but this sure looks like a typo in the Feat's description (see attached jpeg).

I believe it should read "It does not work when the creature is not mounted" to reflect that the creature only gets the bonus damage when doing a charge at the direction of the rider, not of it's own volition.

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powerful Charge description.JPG (39.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; September 9th, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 9th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Actually, it doesn't work when the creature is mounted. It applies to only large, or larger creatures. In order to do the mounted charge damage, you would need spirited charge (which does double or triple damage) intsead (which oddly, doesn't apply to your mount). I believe it was originally in the Miniatures Handbook (and derived from a Miniatures special ability) and eventually found its way into the Monster Manual III. So, yes, large creatures can do extra damage if they charge, as long as they are not mounts and possess this feat.
Kendall-DM is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Actually, it doesn't work when the creature is mounted. It applies to only large, or larger creatures. In order to do the mounted charge damage, you would need spirited charge (which does double or triple damage) intsead (which oddly, doesn't apply to your mount). I believe it was originally in the Miniatures Handbook (and derived from a Miniatures special ability) and eventually found its way into the Monster Manual III. So, yes, large creatures can do extra damage if they charge, as long as they are not mounts and possess this feat.
Okay, so now I'm really confused. My paladin's horse is indeed large and what's the point in the character being able to take the feat if he can't be on the mount to intiate the Powerful Charge?

See, I thought this would be the natural progression since I already had Spirited Charge.

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
No, powerful charge is for the creature, not for the rider. Spirited Charge is a feat the rider can take when he is mounted and charging (with a mount obviously). Powerful Charge is just a feat any creature itself can take and do extra damage when they charge. The "can't be used when the creature is mounted" is a way of excluding really crazy combos of damage. Not that there aren't already those kinds of things, but I digress. Now, if you want to house rule it in your game to apply to a mounted creature as well, there's nothing to stop you.
Kendall-DM is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
No, powerful charge is for the creature, not for the rider. Spirited Charge is a feat the rider can take when he is mounted and charging (with a mount obviously). Powerful Charge is just a feat any creature itself can take and do extra damage when they charge. The "can't be used when the creature is mounted" is a way of excluding really crazy combos of damage. Not that there aren't already those kinds of things, but I digress. Now, if you want to house rule it in your game to apply to a mounted creature as well, there's nothing to stop you.
Absolutely agree that it can be allowed for a ridden mount as a house rule.

Just wondering why it's allowed as a fighter bonus feat selection because if it is a feat that only applies to a creature, then said creature could do the charge whether there is a dismounted fighter associated with it or not.

Perhaps then the typo in Hero Lab is the statement that it can be selected by fighters are one of their bonus feats and it shouldn't be in the list in the first place. Perhaps it's meant to be used by the dismounted fighter & not the mount? I wonder if the Ebberon Campaign Setting, where I'm told it is also mentioned, sheds more light on this.

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 10th, 2011, 09:59 PM
That assumes that nothing of large size could be a fighter. An ogre could have fighter levels. As could any giant. Or some of the monstrous humanoids. So there is a precedent for it being a fighter feat. Just like Eschew Materials is a general feat, when no one but spellcasters will ever take it (or Combat Casting for that matter). Just because a feat is in the list and infeasible to select by a specific character doesn't mean it shouldn't be there.

I've never played any Eberron, are there Large warforged? Hmmm, I also think there are half-ogres that are large size as non-standard race for PC selection, but again, not sure, never played the system myself.
Kendall-DM is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Eberron does have Large warforged.
Lawful_g is offline   #7 Reply With Quote