Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dragnmoon

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:04 PM
Please for the love of God put the Journal back to the way it was! The inputing things twice is aggravating as hell and annoying me to no end! Not only that they both show up on My journal print out adding to its length!

You guys have giving your reasons for the split, none make sense, just add the Prestige part to the Adventure journal part and be done with it!

Edit: In the mean time at the least change the ordering so both sections show the latest input first.

Last edited by Dragnmoon; January 31st, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
Dragnmoon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 1st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
Please for the love of God put the Journal back to the way it was! The inputing things twice is aggravating as hell and annoying me to no end! Not only that they both show up on My journal print out adding to its length!

You guys have giving your reasons for the split, none make sense, just add the Prestige part to the Adventure journal part and be done with it!
Hi Dragnmoon,

Unfortunately now that multiple factions are supported, we need to track awards separately from regular journal entries. Previously, a hero could only ever have one faction, so there was only one prestige total. Now, there's a separate prestige total for each faction, so we have to track stuff separately.

If we put the prestige awards on the regular Journal picks, you'd need to add a new one every time you wanted to add an award to a different faction. This would quickly fill up the main journal table with entries that did nothing but add prestige to different factions, which is definitely not desirable.

Even if we said "OK, if you only have one faction, you add prestige in the main journal table", we need to handle things properly if you leave your first faction and/or add a second. If prestige is just linked to a faction "anonymously", that's not something that Hero Lab can do.

Can you think of a better way to handle the above? If so, we'd be interested in hearing it.

Quote:
Edit: In the mean time at the least change the ordering so both sections show the latest input first.
This should already be the case - if it isn't happening, it's a bug. I'll put this on our to-do list to investigate and see if we can get it fixed for a future version.
Colen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old February 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colen View Post

Can you think of a better way to handle the above? If so, we'd be interested in hearing it.
That is what you said last time, and it still does not make sense.

Why can't you add the faction back to the 1 journal entry and if they want to add more faction points just put a add button that will allow another entry in the same input?
Dragnmoon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old February 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
If we put the prestige awards on the regular Journal picks, you'd need to add a new one every time you wanted to add an award to a different faction. This would quickly fill up the main journal table with entries that did nothing but add prestige to different factions, which is definitely not desirable.
And this is no more or less desirable then you have now. Both ways fill out the journal the same amount, but majority will be using just one faction.
Dragnmoon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon
That is what you said last time, and it still does not make sense.

Why can't you add the faction back to the 1 journal entry and if they want to add more faction points just put a add button that will allow another entry in the same input?
Unfortunately that's more complex than the Hero Lab user interface allows. We could potentially have a "Prestige" button on the journal entry that opened a form and allowed you to add prestige changes there; would that be any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragnmoon View Post
And this is no more or less desirable then you have now. Both ways fill out the journal the same amount, but majority will be using just one faction.
The difference is, with our way the journal is at least kept usable for keeping track of your actual adventures in it, as intended. The "prestige journal" is smaller and less prominent, and it has the bit list of prestige changes in it. (I'd actually like to change it so that the prestige awards take up even less space; that should hopefully be in an update at some point.)

Thanks for your feedback!
Colen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Micco

Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
I really don't want the prestige journal mucking up the Adventure Journal. I think having it as a separate journal makes sense.
Micco is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately that's more complex than the Hero Lab user interface allows. We could potentially have a "Prestige" button on the journal entry that opened a form and allowed you to add prestige changes there; would that be any better?
Yes as long as the Prestige showed up as being added in the program and in the printout.

And this is not the first time I have gotten an answer like this, I am still unsure if it means The program can't do it, or it would be too much work for us to do it.

Quote:
The difference is, with our way the journal is at least kept usable for keeping track of your actual adventures in it, as intended. The "prestige journal" is smaller and less prominent, and it has the bit list of prestige changes in it. (I'd actually like to change it so that the prestige awards take up even less space; that should hopefully be in an update at some point.)

Thanks for your feedback!
If you can find a way so All of us Pathfinder Society players *Which I would not be surprised is a huge chunk of people who buy this software* don't have to input the Journal twice and have it printed up twice taken up twice the space in the journal printout I will be happy, currently the way it is, is really unacceptable, and it can be done a better way.
Dragnmoon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micco View Post
I really don't want the prestige journal mucking up the Adventure Journal. I think having it as a separate journal makes sense.
How would it Muck it up more then it is now?
Dragnmoon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:26 AM
No offense against the original poster, but I DO prefer that they are separate as they are now. In this way I can have my players mark down why they got the award and the dates they did in this way it makes it easier for me to track them then. So yes I prefer it be kept the way it is right now.

The journal can be kept for the player/character entries alone.
Nikmal is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
No offense against the original poster, but I DO prefer that they are separate as they are now. In this way I can have my players mark down why they got the award and the dates they did in this way it makes it easier for me to track them then. So yes I prefer it be kept the way it is right now.

The journal can be kept for the player/character entries alone.
How is that easier?

You can still do that if it was put together, with the enjoyment of having to only put it in once!

I mean really, How is Having to put things in more then once easier, I am not asking for a reduction of options or abilities, all I am asking for is not Having to put the Same thing in more then once.
Dragnmoon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote