Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

jrcchicago

Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:28 PM
Starting this as a new thread as it has been a while since it last came up and the older threads are closed: Is there any chance that scrolls will be added to Tracked Resources & Abilities under the In-Play Tab, or on the Spells page, in a future update? It would be handy to track them on the same page as the charges for wands, or the spells used per day.

BTW, I've only been using Hero Lab for about a month, GMing a Pathfinder campaign for my kids, and so far I'm very impressed. I wish I'd had something half this good back when I was playing AD&D 1.0 in high school in the 80s.
jrcchicago is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:55 PM
Aren't scrolls one-use?
I just delete them when they have been used.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:24 AM
What his request would add would be quick access to the descriptions of the spells on them, and a faster way to mark the spell as used (and then when you were handling your after the game paperwork, you'd delete it at the same time you're converting wand charges into permanent changes and permanently deleting the arrows you couldn't find later and the acid flasks you threw).

Also, once the changes that are needed in order to implement this are made, it becomes easy to add a character's spells on scrolls (and wands and maybe also potions) to the appendix of the character sheet in a spellbook sort of listing.
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
nullPointer

Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:33 AM
It could be that he's talking as well about scrolls with multiple spells on them;

Quote:
A scroll is a spell (or collection of spells) that has been stored in written form. A spell on a scroll can be used only once. The writing vanishes from the scroll when the spell is activated. Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell. The price of a scroll is equal to the level of the spell × the creator's caster level × 25 gp. If the scroll has a material component cost, it is added to the base price and cost to create. Table: Scrolls gives sample prices for scrolls created at the lowest possible caster level for each spellcasting class. Note that some spells appear at different levels for different casters. The level of such spells depends on the caster scribing the scroll.
Physical Description: A scroll is a heavy sheet of fine vellum or high-quality paper. An area about 8-1/2 inches wide and 11 inches long is sufficient to hold one spell. The sheet is reinforced at the top and bottom with strips of leather slightly longer than the sheet is wide. A scroll holding more than one spell has the same width (about 8-1/2 inches) but is an extra foot or so long for each additional spell. Scrolls that hold three or more spells are usually fitted with reinforcing rods at each end rather than simple strips of leather. A scroll has AC 9, 1 hit point, hardness 0, and a break DC of 8.
nullPointer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
(and then when you were handling your after the game paperwork, you'd delete it at the same time you're converting wand charges into permanent changes and permanently deleting the arrows you couldn't find later and the acid flasks you threw).
And it would be really, really nice to have a button that would do this automagically.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:13 AM
So FYI the "Pathfinder Basic Pack" has an adjustment that allows you to put a Tracker on any piece of equipment. This includes scrolls allow them to display on the "in-play" tab.

Its what my players use and it seems work just fine. Then when all the "uses" are used up you delete off character sheet. Or they pay the money to "buy" those again and reset the tracker to 0.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
So FYI the "Pathfinder Basic Pack" has an adjustment that allows you to put a Tracker on any piece of equipment. This includes scrolls allow them to display on the "in-play" tab.

Its what my players use and it seems work just fine. Then when all the "uses" are used up you delete off character sheet. Or they pay the money to "buy" those again and reset the tracker to 0.
If a scroll has two or more different spells on it, how do they track which spell was spent? Or do they only ever make scrolls with a single type of spell on it?
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 23rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
If a scroll has two or more different spells on it, how do they track which spell was spent? Or do they only ever make scrolls with a single type of spell on it?
So they put multiple of the same spell on the scroll. So 3 mirror images and then set the tracker to 3. So each time you use one of those scrolls you tick one off. You craft a new replacement you tick back the other way. Its not 'perfect' but it works well enough.

The warlock in the group does have a huge list of "scrolls" with a single use listed on the In-Play tab. Most players I have seen "like" playing off the "In-Play" tab and want everything listed here.

But for those that don't I have an adjustment that "removes" the tracker from the In-Play also. I also have an adjustment that lets you put an "activation" on any piece of equipment. At least you can track when you turned something "on".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote