Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

KefkaZ

Old April 20th, 2014, 05:46 PM
So, let's say I'm working with the tag domain environmental conditions, and I have a number of areas that have the "cold" tag. I'd love to be able to select a tag and have the annotation for cold automatically fill itself in with some default text. I could setup this annotation text in the tag settings screen.
KefkaZ is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I think I'm missing something here. I don't see any benefit in having the annotation match the tag name. That's just redundant information. And the tag is significantly better for the purposes of filtering and searching content, so tags would be the clear preference based on how I'm seeing this.

What is the benefit of this proposed feature? Please help me to understand what I'm apparently missing.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old April 20th, 2014, 06:55 PM
If I'm reading it right, he's asking if you could set the tag to auto generate a tag based snippet with predefined text in the annotation field.

Edit: For instance, if he defines the conditions as "Cold" he could have a tag based snippet that has an annotation "Must make Fortitude saves every hour or take 1d6 nonlethal cold damage." that generates automatically for every location he adds. You can add a tag to topics automatically, but can you add tag-based snippets with pre-filled fields?

Last edited by Mystic Lemur; April 20th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.
Mystic Lemur is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:57 AM
Mystic Lemur is exactly correct in his interpretation of what I'm asking.
KefkaZ is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old April 24th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I think this is a good idea. I usually build my databases in excel so I can automatise input like this. +1
Teresa is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old April 24th, 2014, 11:32 AM
And to clarify the reason, I'd like to be able to have basic information be able to pop up so that I don't have to click back and forth between the scene topic I'm using for the encounter and a mechanics article that explains how all cold or heat related damage is calculated. I just want to have something in my face that says "Fortitude save -5." But it's something that is going to be in a bunch of my scenes. I'd rather not put it in each time if I can avoid it.

I guess it's the Realm Works equivalent of being able to mouse over a feat in Hero Lab and see a tooltip explaining what the feat does, except I'm putting in the tooltip myself and using a tag-based snippet (Thanks to Mystic Lemur for the vocabulary) to do it.
KefkaZ is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:08 PM
wouldn't it be better to have a location you can mouse over and have a popup window display the information? It would probably keep the database smaller if the information was in a single location and it displayed on mouse over. You could even combine tags like {game system} and {climate} in order to see the specific rules for that game system and climate combined.

So {Pathfinder) and {Arctic} tags on mouse-over would show the rules for Arctic conditions in the Pathfinder game system. While {Shadowrun} and {Desert} would show the rules for Shadowrun in the Desert. You could probably add Seasons as a third tag, if that is important enough... or just list all the seasonal variables under the area's climate category.

Players should be able to set up their own relationships with the various tags though and what is displayed when those relationships are combined and then moused-over.
Viking2054 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
KefkaZ

Old April 25th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
wouldn't it be better to have a location you can mouse over and have a popup window display the information? It would probably keep the database smaller if the information was in a single location and it displayed on mouse over. You could even combine tags like {game system} and {climate} in order to see the specific rules for that game system and climate combined.

So {Pathfinder) and {Arctic} tags on mouse-over would show the rules for Arctic conditions in the Pathfinder game system. While {Shadowrun} and {Desert} would show the rules for Shadowrun in the Desert. You could probably add Seasons as a third tag, if that is important enough... or just list all the seasonal variables under the area's climate category.

Players should be able to set up their own relationships with the various tags though and what is displayed when those relationships are combined and then moused-over.
This would also solve the problem.
KefkaZ is offline   #8 Reply With Quote