Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 13th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I know I've asked this long ago but since Aaron is hard at work this weekend I thought it a good time to inquire again.

Any progress on adding a mechanism for creating custom potions, wands, etc. on the fly, the same way one makes scrolls & custom armor and weapons?

Many of my fellow players are understandably hesitant and annoyed when the response to "hey, how can I make a....' is "well first you open the editor...."

Their logical response to the response is "but why can't I just make a custom potion [or wand]? I don't see how that's any different than when I make my new custom sword within the character display."

Naturally, being able to set the caster level of the newly created item is also of vital importance. Having the caster level annoted in the display would be awesome!

Nigel Fogg, aka The Wayfarer
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old November 13th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Not sure about custom rods, staves, and wonderous items, but I am working on Potions and Wands at the moment.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old November 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Not sure about custom rods, staves, and wonderous items, but I am working on Potions and Wands at the moment.
That is excellent news!!!!

Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old October 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer View Post
I know I've asked this long ago but since Aaron is hard at work this weekend I thought it a good time to inquire again.

Any progress on adding a mechanism for creating custom potions, wands, etc. on the fly, the same way one makes scrolls & custom armor and weapons?

Many of my fellow players are understandably hesitant and annoyed when the response to "hey, how can I make a....' is "well first you open the editor...."

Their logical response to the response is "but why can't I just make a custom potion [or wand]? I don't see how that's any different than when I make my new custom sword within the character display."

Naturally, being able to set the caster level of the newly created item is also of vital importance. Having the caster level annoted in the display would be awesome!

What is the status on this request?
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old April 30th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Just a resurection performed on this thread .... Status??
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Just a resurection performed on this thread .... Status??
I second the request for a status update.

The new campaign I'm in is about to be brewing potions and crafting wands & other wondrous items. So it is something that will be used.

Thanks in advance,
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
You can already create custom wands, potions, & scrolls. So I'm guessing you are looking for updates on Staves, Rods, & Wondrous items?

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer

Old May 4th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
You can already create custom wands, potions, & scrolls. So I'm guessing you are looking for updates on Staves, Rods, & Wondrous items?
Nope.

Per my original posting higher up in the thread, what I & others would like to see is the ability to make "custom" potions, staves & wands the same way we can make scrolls.

Click "create <____>" and have that open a window where we can select from a drop-down list of eligible spells. Click Add (or Add & Close) with the usual cost or free option and the ability to set the caster level and any metamagic that has been applied and *poof!* you now have a wand (or potion or staff) on your character sheet with the appropriate name, caster level, charges and/or metamagic annotated.

I grant you that making Wondrous Items and rods is more complicated since they tend to have functions beyond casting a spell or two but I still don't understand why potions, wands & staves cannot be made using the same "create a scroll" method that is currently in the software.

Call me ignorant if you must but I don't see why the programmers feel there is an insurmountable difference.

All four (scroll, potion, wand, staff) are a container that holds a spell (or in some cases more than one spell) which can be written to either draw from the entire list of spells with the player expected to be honest about the crafting or it could have a check subroutine to ensure the spell is appropriate to the character per the crafting rules.

All four of them have a set formula for determining the cost of creation. CORRECTION: Creation of a staff doesn't have a set cost formula in the same way as a scroll, potion or wand.

ADDITIONAL: I should also mention that the deduction of XP can be computed once the "base cost" is determined & subtracted from the character's running total.

All four of them can be made to show up on the character sheet's Ammunition & Charges section.

I hope this clarification helps,

Last edited by Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer; May 6th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Nigel Fogg The Wayfarer is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
Ditto and Second Nigel's details as to the why
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote