Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Alternity (user-created)

Notices

jbearwillis

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:32 AM
What he has going is that herolab has specialties start out as rank 0, but when you chose a specialty it should start out as rank 1 instead, iceniqueen what is happening is when you pick a skill it puts it on the sheet at rank 0 but does not charge any skill points for it. It's just there - then what you do is put it at rank one and the program then charges you for the specialty at rank one and then it is correct is all that is happening - so when you pick a specialty just remember to raise it to rank one - if you don't you won't be charged any skill points and it defaults to the board skill as if you didn't have the specialty, so just raise it to rank 1 and it will be correct.
jbearwillis is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:42 AM
evildmguy, I don't know if there is away to have a specialty skill start out at rank 1 instead of rank 0 and charge right off the bat for Rank 1 from skill points or not - How you have it is in par with a lot of herolab game and your mechanics work fine - people just need to understand when picking a specialty skill is to raise it to Rank 1 so the game will charge for the skill at rank one - it's no biggie just 1 extra step is all, how you have it work right, it just needs to do that extra step.
Keep up the great job.
JBear
jbearwillis is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:37 PM
I will see what it takes to add a skill at rank one instead and try it that way. Then you guys can let me know which you prefer.

Thanks again for the feedback!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
I'm good either way what ever is easiest for you. The way you have it is no big deal and it works fine, people just need to understand that when they pick a specialty that they need to add the Rank 1 when they first add a skill is all.
jbearwillis is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:12 PM
I guess it's a matter of whether or not people want to add zero level rank skills, as a way of seeing the specialty skills even if they don't have them yet.

I suppose this could be done with trained ones as well. Maybe I can see if I can null out the skill score if a trained skill is added but has no ranks?
evildmguy is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
iceniqueen

Old March 4th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I cannot speak for other HL sheets accept Pathfinder. For the most part pathfinder is very simple to use and when you spend points it shows 1 for 1 meaning if you buy a skill it reflects everyplace it needs to right away. Once again I cannot speak for other sheets as I do not play any other games

Maybe in the ? or manual you need to put that it makes it zero and by making it 1 does not cost. That is what threw me. I'd by the skill, see the points vanish and it showed 0 and not one. You never expect to have to raise it to one without spending anymore points.

I for one was not seeing it in any place and thus I asked on here.

As someone who's many players use HL for PF and we are now going to play Alternity, we are looking for something that is great for the game. HL rocks and glad to see an Alternity sheet for it to make character creation and leveling so much easier and faster.

Thanks for what you guys both do. If my group can help, let me know.
iceniqueen is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old March 4th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I'm at a loss at what you are saying. In the latest version, if you buy a broad skill it takes the points away if you pick a specialty skill it shows up as rank 0 but no points are taken away, not until you put 1 rank into that specialty which at that point the points are then taken away and not before. If they are being taken away when you pick a specialty at rank 0, you might have a glitch and maybe you might try to redownload the game again.
jbearwillis is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Ok I see what iceniqueen is saying - on broad skills when you pick them or if they are part of the ones you get for your profession. They show up as this ( Athletics +1 [4 / 2 / 1] ), but when you pick a specialty of say Athletics such as jump - it shows up like this ( Jump 0 [4 / 2 / 1] at Rank 0, but when you raise jump up to Rank 1 It shows it like this ( Jump 0 [5 / 2 / 1] ), It shows the correct numbers you need to roll under, but it doesn't show you the correct points spent or if you like the rank it is - in front of the bracket it always stays at a 0 no matter what Rank the specialty skill is at which I understand now how that can be confusing. Maybe if it's not to much trouble you might have the 0 go up when you add a rank to show what the rank is at any given time. I don't know how hard it would be to have it do that. I was just let you know where iceniqueen was coming from.
jbearwillis is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old March 4th, 2013, 09:38 AM
That 0 or +1 in front of the skill is the situation die. +1 for Broad skills, 0 for specialty. A Combat Spec will get to pick one and it will show up as -1.

I think I need to label things better. This also goes for the weapon pages as well. I think some labels will help the confusion there.

Thanks!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old March 7th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Okay, playing with advances more and they don't work. As iceniqueen pointed out, it's not working properly.

Sorry about that. I'm working on it and hope to have it out soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

edg
evildmguy is offline   #30 Reply With Quote