Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

fantasmamore

Old February 2nd, 2018, 04:55 AM
Hello all,

There is probably a very straightforward solution to my problem, but I can't find out how to do it.

I want to translate the PHB spells. I open the editor, then the data file "5ePHB pack spells" but I find only 57 spells there. Where are all the rest of the spells hidden? What's the name of the .user file?

Thank you in advance!
fantasmamore is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:36 AM
The other spells are part of the SRD, which is built into the program by Lone Wolf as part of an encrypted data file. The .user file the Community provides are the 57 spells that weren't in the SRD.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
fantasmamore

Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:48 AM
Oh, no! That means that I cannot edit them... Thank you anyway for your response!
fantasmamore is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2018, 06:09 AM
You CAN "edit" them, just not directly. I THINK you can use either amendthing or replacement to achieve your objective. One of them may work. The experts here on the forum should be able to help with the specifics, as I'm WAY too rusty on that stuff.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old February 2nd, 2018, 06:59 AM
Yep, sorry, I should have clarified that although the spells/text are not directly available, you can create a new .user file of your own and make copies of all the files if you want to get a text file full of the spell descriptions that you can manipulate.

What rob is mentioning also is that you can manipulate those spells with your own customization.

Such as:
Extend: You can add new tags to the spells with the Extend features.
Replace: You can use the replaces function to supplant the original spells with modified copies of yours.
Hidden: You can hide the original spells permanently.
Preclude: You can hide the original spells if you have a checkbox selected. You would still need to make copies of your own that are in that same source.
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 2nd, 2018, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Yep, sorry, I should have clarified that although the spells/text are not directly available, you can create a new .user file of your own and make copies of all the files if you want to get a text file full of the spell descriptions that you can manipulate.

What rob is mentioning also is that you can manipulate those spells with your own customization.

Such as:
Extend: You can add new tags to the spells with the Extend features.
Replace: You can use the replaces function to supplant the original spells with modified copies of yours.
Hidden: You can hide the original spells permanently.
Preclude: You can hide the original spells if you have a checkbox selected. You would still need to make copies of your own that are in that same source.
Your missing "amendthing" that Rob is talking about. This is a very special function of HL that allows you to actually change a Thing instead of Pick. VERY few functions exist that work on Things and only one allows you to change a Thing. You can only change the Name or Description but that can be very handy.

Here is an example where I append text to a Thing's description in Pathfinder. This causes HL to display the normal Pathfinder description and then a space and the above.
Code:
 ~ Pounce
#appenddesc[raPounce,"{b}Shadow d20 UAE [Pounce (3 Acts)]:{/b} A creature with this special attack can move up to double its base movement speed by taking a -2 AC penalty and at the end of its movement it can make all its natural attacks vs a single target."]
Here is an example where I totally replace a combat condition description with my own houserule:
Code:
~ Total Defense
perform state.thing[pstTotDef].amendthing[description,"{b}(2 Acts){/b} You concentrate on defense rather than attacking. Until the start of your next turn, you can't take actions with the attack subtype, and you gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC.  If you have at least 3 ranks in Acrobatics the bonus increases to +6."]
You could also use these in a foreach loop if you wanted to change all of Things of the same type:
Code:
      ~ Add note about easy spellcasting with all shields
      foreach thing in BaseArmor where "ArmorClass.Shield"
        ~ Build text string
        sText = eachthing.field[descript].text & "{br}{br}{b}Shadow d20:{/b} Casting spells can be done with all types of shields. This requires no extra action and does not cause you to lose your shield bonus for the round."
        ~ Set message
        perform eachthing.amendthing[description,sText]
      nexteach

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote