Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Fuzzy

Old April 24th, 2014, 08:37 AM
There's two ways i can work around the dropdown issue. I can forgo choosing the weapon, and only choose the weapon that is equiped (it only works on a held weapon), and then have the single dropdown used for choosing what power to add, or I can create a new ability for each available power, and bootstrap each on, which might clutter up the in-play screen.

Actually, come to think of it, I will likely have to go with multiple abilities, as you can spend a crap load of pool points if you want and add multiple powers to the weapon, so I'll need one for the weapon enhancement, and one for each of the 10 powers.
Fuzzy is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Just cause I do this with my programmers sometimes I have to ask if the amount of work is worth it just to not have to change to the weapon tab?

If so my advice is to make a "Weapon, Magic" Thing with all 10 powers bootstrapped to it but set with a bootstrap condition. This then would not make the Power Live unless a specific tag was found on the hero. To make things easy each "Item Power" has a pre-created tag called "HasAbility.XXXXX" where "XXXX" is the unique ID of the item power. So Keen Item Power is HasAbility.iKeen.

Then when say you activate "Keen" you assign the tag HasAbility.iKeen to the hero at say First/400.
Code:
perform hero.assign[HasAbility.iKeen]
Then set the bootstrap condition up like this:
Image3.jpg
Change PolyAdjust.Scent to be whatever your custom tag is like "HasAbility.iKeen" and add "hero#" in front. This is because you have a gizmo and we have to force the check to be on the hero not the gizmo.
Code:
hero#HasAbility.iKeen
Now when you activate Keen the Keen Power becomes live and its scripts will correctly affect the "Weapon, Magic".

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old April 24th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Just cause I do this with my programmers sometimes I have to ask if the amount of work is worth it just to not have to change to the weapon tab?

If so my advice is to make a "Weapon, Magic" Thing with all 10 powers bootstrapped to it but set with a bootstrap condition. This then would not make the Power Live unless a specific tag was found on the hero. To make things easy each "Item Power" has a pre-created tag called "HasAbility.XXXXX" where "XXXX" is the unique ID of the item power. So Keen Item Power is HasAbility.iKeen.

Then when say you activate "Keen" you assign the tag HasAbility.iKeen to the hero at say First/400.
Code:
perform hero.assign[HasAbility.iKeen]
Then set the bootstrap condition up like this:
Attachment 2848
Change PolyAdjust.Scent to be whatever your custom tag is like "HasAbility.iKeen" and add "hero#" in front. This is because you have a gizmo and we have to force the check to be on the hero not the gizmo.
Code:
hero#HasAbility.iKeen
Now when you activate Keen the Keen Power becomes live and its scripts will correctly affect the "Weapon, Magic".
How is that less work than duplicating an ability 9 times and altering it to set the correct tag on a weapon? And the reason I would want to keep this on the In-Play tab is because that's where it belongs. It's really the only place where normal in-play temporary selections belong. I, personally, find the pressure against this concept very odd, and wonder if you have your programmers make similar decisions in a user interface issue just because doing it right might take a couple more steps.
Fuzzy is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old April 24th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
How is that less work than duplicating an ability 9 times and altering it to set the correct tag on a weapon? And the reason I would want to keep this on the In-Play tab is because that's where it belongs. It's really the only place where normal in-play temporary selections belong. I, personally, find the pressure against this concept very odd, and wonder if you have your programmers make similar decisions in a user interface issue just because doing it right might take a couple more steps.
OK then. I am stepping out of this thread. Have fun!!!!!

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Fuzzy

Old April 24th, 2014, 11:34 PM
So I went a slightly different approach to avoid the drop down issue. I hadn't realized there were two activation checkboxes available, so instead of choosing which equipped weapon to enchant, i've gotten rid of the drop down's completely, and gone with 2 checkboxes (one for the main hand weapon, one for the off-hand weapon). The names of the checkboxes adjust to include the sbName of the equipped weapon. I have a validation rule to only have a single box checked at a time for a given ability. Still, this ends up being 11 abilities on the in-play tab, but they fit well. Just working through actually fleshing out each ability's scripts (things like Flaming Burst adding not only it's ability, but also that of flaming, which it includes).

So, before I get to it, the 'main' Arcane Pool usage from level 1 is to provide a basic enchantment to the weapon (+1 per 4 levels) that is stacked on top of any inherent bonus in the weapon, caped overall at a +5 weapon enchantment. I'm not overly familiar with the macros in HL, so i just want to verify that the standard bonus macro is not going to work with this stack, right? I'm thinking, if I had a +2 sword, and added a +3 arcane pool enchantment using the normal bonus method, I'd end up with a +3 sword, not +5 as it should be. So I'm going to just have to read the existing bonus, add whatever bonus arcane pool gives, cap it at +5, and then write it back, correct?
Fuzzy is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 25th, 2014, 11:22 AM
You're correct. The Macro only applies the higher of it's own value or the existing value.
Aaron is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
claudekennilol

Old July 26th, 2019, 07:16 AM
I know this is a super old thread, but does anyone have a working way of doing this? I just spent hundreds of dollars on HL and have only put 3 characters in and they all have some form of this ability. It's really saddening to see that this isn't covered out of the box.
claudekennilol is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old July 26th, 2019, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudekennilol View Post
I know this is a super old thread, but does anyone have a working way of doing this? I just spent hundreds of dollars on HL and have only put 3 characters in and they all have some form of this ability. It's really saddening to see that this isn't covered out of the box.
The modifiers are listed in the popup tooltip because they are situational. The "in-play" tab would get way too long if every single situational modifier were to be listed in there, and then there'd be issues with forgetting to switch off the modifier (especially in cases where they only apply on the first attack or other such limited situations).

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
claudekennilol

Old July 30th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The modifiers are listed in the popup tooltip because they are situational. The "in-play" tab would get way too long if every single situational modifier were to be listed in there, and then there'd be issues with forgetting to switch off the modifier (especially in cases where they only apply on the first attack or other such limited situations).
I'm sorry but did you even read the topic? This isn't a situational modifier, it's a basically toggle-able specific ability that lasts a minute. How is this any different and/or worse than other abilities that have a checkbox that are built into some classes that last only one round? What's the point of having some toggle-able abilities but not others that alter the stats of your character? You're just supposed to let HL do it automatically for some but have to memorize the rest? That's extremely counter intuitive.

I've found ShadowChemosh has a plugin for this in pathfinder community pack that handles it for Magus, so it's a moot point by now. It doesn't handle it for Warpriests or Occultists, though. But it gives me enough info to know what to do to go about adding it on my own.
claudekennilol is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old July 30th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudekennilol View Post
I'm sorry but did you even read the topic? This isn't a situational modifier, it's a basically toggle-able specific ability that lasts a minute. How is this any different and/or worse than other abilities that have a checkbox that are built into some classes that last only one round? What's the point of having some toggle-able abilities but not others that alter the stats of your character? You're just supposed to let HL do it automatically for some but have to memorize the rest? That's extremely counter intuitive.

I've found ShadowChemosh has a plugin for this in pathfinder community pack that handles it for Magus, so it's a moot point by now. It doesn't handle it for Warpriests or Occultists, though. But it gives me enough info to know what to do to go about adding it on my own.
One reason to not bring up old threads as its very confusing on what "didn't" work and what does work now.

I am in this thread from years ago saying it can't be done yet I now have the feature built into the community pack. The software has been enhanced over the years and as new features go into the Binary program what was once not possible now becomes possible.

So the basic reason is that when the classes/weapon enchantments where first built the HL engine couldn't deal with some rules that now it can.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #20 Reply With Quote