Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

SirJames

Old December 6th, 2015, 06:10 AM
I have a question, I have not seen any area in the forum for recruiting players to your campaign or asking for players. Am I missing something.
SirJames is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:41 AM
You're not missing anything. Since Realm Works can be used with literally any game system, I'm not sure this forum is going to be the best place for recruiting players. You'll likely find that a forum dedicated to the game system you're running is a better resource for that purpose. My guess is that other users have felt the same way, since I'm not aware of anyone posting threads for that purpose in the past. That being said, you're welcome to do so if you wish.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Also, recruiting players for an internet game would usually require the use of a VTT alongside RW.
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 7th, 2015, 07:17 AM
I would like to re-purpose this thread if I might. How DO you find players for your games? When I decided to get back into table-top role-playing games, I looked into a number of venues for finding the players. I was looking for in-person games, not VTT. The only one that worked, and it worked well, was Meetup.com. I found a meetup group for role-playing games in my area that had a forum for DM's looking for players and vice versa. That's how I filled out my first group, followed by friends and networks of the players after that.

I know that many (most/all?) of the VTT platforms have mechanisms to send out invites (perhaps the OP mistook RW for a VTT, which prompted the question?), but for those of you who still play in meat space, how do you find new players?

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old December 7th, 2015, 08:33 AM
@MNBlockHead

My most successful methods were as follows:

1) Ask your local game store counter monkey. They'll know of more games locally than you'll be able to find on your own 9/10 times. They'll also tell you about in store events, and at the very least, point you at the "Looking for Group" board which lists who's looking for players/groups.

2) Roll20. Roll20 is a GREAT resource for finding games/players for VTT play. Most play in the R20 interface, but some use Google Hangouts. Highly recommend you check it out. Note, without a 2nd screen and using Google Hangouts, you cannot share your player view in this manner. I hope to see an enhancement to RW in the future that would allow Roll20 Integration.

3) /r/lfg on Reddit is a great resource for finding games. But, as it's a subreddit, your post might get shuffled off the front page before you get any hits.

4) Your friends and family. I list this low, because some of us have a bugger of a time getting people available. My group is all but disbanded due to work schedules and personal availability.

5) Conventions. Brother, this is a great way to find groups, and play games. Problem is, that they're few and far between in most areas (there's 3 in Indianapolis every year with any real attendance, GenCon, InCon, and HoosierCon).

6) As a last ditch effort, should all the above fail, hit up the Pathfinder Society boards, or the ShadowRun Missions! or the Camarilla, or any other "shared universe" club to find games. Pretty much every big name game has a fan club. If you're willing to give up control of your story/character in the name of finding regular games, you can always try this route. I list it last because, to me, these are events outside the actual gaming hobby and transcend into something else. They use premade adventures ONLY with ZERO customization allowed on the part of the GM (excluding the Camarilla to a degree), and you are not usually in a RAW environment (i.e. Addendum, Rules Changes, Crafting Limitations, etc...)
Pollution is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 7th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Friends and friends of friends, for almost my entire time gaming.

Secondary has been conventions, both through meeting attendees and through volunteering and meeting folks that way. (Oddly enough, folks who run game conventions are often avid gamers. :)

Last edited by Parody; December 7th, 2015 at 11:19 AM.
Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 7th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Depending on where you're located, there may also be MeetUp groups in your area.
liz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Erdrix

Old December 7th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I got tired of looking for players and just grew my own. Only problem is it takes a few years before they stop trying to eat the dice.
Erdrix is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old December 7th, 2015, 02:45 PM
I've found players mostly as friends of friends, but also found a really good player through one of the gamers groups on the blogging platform LiveJournal (Livejournal.com).

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 7th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Liz, Meetup.com was how I found most of my current players. There is a meetup group for a local roleplaying game association that is very active.

Friends and family...well, I started my current campaign with a number of old highschool friends after I moved back to the area, but half of them couldn't commit to even a monthly game. My oldest is just barely old enough to play, but not old enough to integrate into a group of adults.

Conventions...this ones tough. We have a few different gaming conventions in my area, but I find it hard to take the time from work and family to spend much time at them. I played one game at Con of the North last year to become more comfortable with the 5e rules before I started DMing my campaign. Almost all of the players lived too far away to be able to play in a local (my location) game or have friends who could.

We have a number of good game stores, but I didn't think to ask anyone working there about players. I'm usually running in and out to make some quick purchases.

Roll20 does seem to have a great system for finding players or games to join, but I'm not interested in VTT.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #10 Reply With Quote