Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Krinberry

Old August 28th, 2014, 03:40 PM
One of the reasons I supported the Realm Works kickstarter was because of the promise to eventually have an online web version available for players without them having to buy software. I have a lot of games with a lot of different people, so me buying a bunch of player licenses would cost a ridiculous amount, getting them to pay for it would just result in people not bothering, and since a lot of our gaming is done online the local client is useless for that. Couple that with the inability to export any data out of the closed system in a function format other than copying and pasting section by section, and... well, Realm Works really isn't anywhere near as useful as it initially seemed like it would be. The web interface is about the only thing I can see that would make it useful at this point, so it would be nice to know that there's at least some work being done on that front.

For the record, the idea of non-transferable player licences is ridiculous. At least with a transferable model the player-version-for-pay would make a bit of sense. I've seen a lot of 'just register them with your own email address' suggestions, but this a) means having to HAVE a lot of different addresses in the first place and b) means you'd be doing an irritating amount of administration just keeping track of which account has been added or removed from the right games based on who happens to be using the account at any given time. It's a really unworkable system.
Krinberry is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old August 29th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Hi Krin and welcome to the forums.

When you say that "the idea of non-transferable player licenses is ridiculous," you really mean that it is ridiculous for you and/or your group. I'm perfectly content with it, as it my group (and we will likely rarely use the web version). For you, I'm sure it is an unworkable system, but for me, my group, and others that have posted here, it is not.

Secondly, rob has made some recent posts regarding the web view scheduling up in the Realm Works Player Edition Update thread, atop the thread listings.

Here are two of the most recent, and perhaps most relevant posts:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....2&postcount=22

http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....2&postcount=48

Hope this helps.
enrious is offline   #2 Reply With Quote